TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 December 2010
Like the other reviewers, I suspect, I was brought up on Blyton and still have all the "5" books and the "Adventure" ones. I approached this with trepidation and a very wary eye. I've never seen it and more recnt adaptations haven't been marvellous. I really was pleasantly, genuinely surprised. This is good.! It's played dead straight and though some of the casting is a bit odd to those of us who know and love etc. the filming is very good. I was particularly impressed with the scenes at sea which looked very realistic, and the photography and print and sound quality. Sadly I suspect this will only appeal now to people like me (ie ageing adults) I would imagine kids today wouldn't know what to make of it - Shame. Lastly, about the casting..Dick is too small and too young, and George looks older and bigger than all of them, but put that to one side and they are all good, particulaly Anne, who looks just like the fabulous drawings by Eileen Soper. Well done for having courage enough to take a chance on releasing the 2 films, and with accompanying novels and booklet. Thankyou.
on 15 September 2010
I suspect, like many, Blyton fans I never thought Id see this serial make it onto DVD and when it was announced I was concerned that it would be a half hearted attempt.

My fears are unfounded. The transfer is top notch, the accompanying booklet a great read and the all round presentation a joy.

A must for Blyton and Five fans!
on 21 November 2010
This Famous Five adventure is very much of its time but none the worse for that. It's particularly enjoyable if viewed in serial mode as intended, for example one episode each day. One can imagine watching them as part of the Saturday morning children's shows in days gone by.
on 11 November 2010
Having seen the 1970s and 1990s dramatisations of Enild Blyton's Famous Five books I was a bit aprehensive about seeing this which is one of my favourite FF stories. But I neededn't have worried. It is a superb serialisation, well directed with good locations, a fine cast (especially Michael Wennick as Wilfred) and a nice music score.
There are a few alterations from the book but in many ways this improves the story. And being made in black and white in the era the books were written it has a nice nostalgic feel which is missing from the later dramatisations.
The only gripe is that a lot of the material in the accompanying booklet is the same as the one for Five On A Treasure Island and there are no extras on the DVD. And there is a small mistake in the production notes, the location of the exteriors of Blaize Castle is actually Hilfield Castle in Aldenham, very close to the film studios in Bushey, Hertfordshire where it was made, and not near Maidenhead as lmentioned in the booklet.
on 8 October 2011
Loved it! We have a holiday cottage in Cornwall and this DVD was given to us by a guest who recognised that some of the filming was down our lane and on the beach just below our home. Great to see Talland Bay as it was 50 years ago - we've learnt more from this film than from numerous old photos!
on 11 January 2015
My grandchildren found the DVD fascinating.
on 13 November 2014
hello, everybody,

i write to all cff lovers, because in germany are great thrilling
six cff-movies with english language
for buying there in amazon.de.
Five on a Treasure Island (Die Sache mit der Schatzinsel)
Five Clues to Fortune (Geheimsache fünf)
Valley of the Kings (Im Tal der Könige)
Beware of the Dog (Achtung: Bissiger Hund)
The Carringford School Mystery (Die Halskette)
The Young Jacobites (Die jungen Jakobiter)
on 9 November 2014
superbe adaptation de petite série qui n'a rien a envier au autres version précédente ,le club des cinq d'enid Blyton-les cinq ont un mystère à résoudre est tout simplement magnifique.
on 31 March 2016
just the ticket for my granddaughter as I read her The famous five books
on 23 April 2015