4.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Blyton fans
This DVD entertained the whole family eager to watch the next episode. It was bought for my 9 year old who is a famous 5 fan. The only disappointment was when I realised that I had unknowingly ordered a DVD in black and white. However my daughter(and the rest of us) loved it. The next DVD has already been ordered for christmas!
Published on 20 Oct 2010 by S. Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the description!
It is my fault that I never looked at the product details. If I had I would have seen that unlike the cover picture it was filmed in black and white and is not the one I remember my children seeing. However, it was well done and my granddaughter liked it, so all was well. It would be good if the later ones in colour were available on DVD.
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by PAT A RICHARDSON

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Blyton fans, 20 Oct 2010
S. Robertson (Ayr, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enid Blyton's The Famous Five - Five On Treasure Island [DVD] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 15 Sep 2010
I suspect, like many, Blyton fans I never thought Id see this serial make it onto DVD and when it was announced I was concerned that it would be a half hearted attempt.

My fears are unfounded. The transfer is top notch, the accompanying booklet a great read and the all round presentation a joy.

A must for Blyton and Five fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dated and delightful, 21 Nov 2010
Mr. P. W. Jones "Square Eyes" (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This Famous Five adventure is very much of its time but none the worse for that. It's particularly enjoyable if viewed in serial mode as intended, for example one episode each day. One can imagine watching them as part of the Saturday morning children's shows in days gone by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Filmed in Cornwall, 8 Oct 2011
Loved it! We have a holiday cottage in Cornwall and this DVD was given to us by a guest who recognised that some of the filming was down our lane and on the beach just below our home. Great to see Talland Bay as it was 50 years ago - we've learnt more from this film than from numerous old photos!

5.0 out of 5 stars All Adults Together, 20 Dec 2010
A. W. Wilson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Like the other reviewers, I suspect, I was brought up on Blyton and still have all the "5" books and the "Adventure" ones. I approached this with trepidation and a very wary eye. I've never seen it and more recnt adaptations haven't been marvellous. I really was pleasantly, genuinely surprised. This is good.! It's played dead straight and though some of the casting is a bit odd to those of us who know and love etc. the filming is very good. I was particularly impressed with the scenes at sea which looked very realistic, and the photography and print and sound quality. Sadly I suspect this will only appeal now to people like me (ie ageing adults) I would imagine kids today wouldn't know what to make of it - Shame. Lastly, about the casting..Dick is too small and too young, and George looks older and bigger than all of them, but put that to one side and they are all good, particulaly Anne, who looks just like the fabulous drawings by Eileen Soper. Well done for having courage enough to take a chance on releasing the 2 films, and with accompanying novels and booklet. Thankyou.

5.0 out of 5 stars Famous Five...the Beginning, 4 Sep 2012
This is the beginning of the Famous Five, a must see for all the many Blyton fans who read the Famous Five books. It contains a beautiful booklet with many photos. The film was made in 1957 in Dorset at the Jurassic Coast and in Corfe Castle Village. I've been there in 2008 and it's still unchanged.
In 1964 "Five have a Mystery to solve" has also been filmed by CFF and is now available on DVD (with a gorgeous booklet as well).

One more tip for Blyton fans.
"Treasure at the Mill" is one of those suspenseful treasure hunt stories that we all loved to read in the fifties and sixties...they don't write such great children's books any longer.

Malcolm Saville was asked by Mary Field (Childrens Film Foundation) to write a book about the Ardleigh Mill near Colchester in Essex and he included the family Pettit (who owned the mill at the time) in his book.

Then CFF made the movie and that is one of the best CFF movies ever.

I can highly recommend the book (it has a map of the area and another map of the mill plus several illustrations) and the DVD (it contains an interview with Merrilyn Pettit who returned to Ardleigh Mill for the bonus material).

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Remastered to High Definition from Film elements held in the BFI National Archive, 10 Feb 2012
I love the fully illustrated book containing contextualising essays. Great addition to this DVD feature. QUALITY is quiet high, because it was remastered to High Definition from Film elements held in the BFI National Archive

5.0 out of 5 stars enid blyton dvd, 15 Sep 2011
Even though this was black and white and very obviously of a time, my children absolutely loved this. Very good value for money and has helped to really get them into the idea of mysteries & detection. (Children aged 7 & 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wizard, 5 May 2012
I caught this serial being played in it's entirety at my local theatre during our towns "film week" I went with my 8 year old and it's hard to say who enjoyed it most.

The acting is hammy by todays standards but this added to the charm, I vividly remember the Childrens Film Foundation weekly serials at my local "Saturday Morning Pictures" and read the Famous 5 books as a child and for a short while the years seemed to roll back.

Great family fun and a slice of nostalgia for little more than a fiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The best Famous Five Ever", 8 May 2011
A very well received Mothers Day present (Australia), along with Five Have a Mystery to solve. I have yet to watch it myself, but after cringing through some of the story edits of the 1995/96 series The Famous Five - Complete Series 1995/1996 (6 discs) where adventure and danger promptly follow the opening credits and conclude shortly after, a serial version of these stories can only be a good thing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›