Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2010
i saw this at the cinema - the reviews were terrible but I'm used to critics "not getting" bollywood and humour.
it was a bit slow in places - with panoramic sweeps of the city etc, but clearly that is to be of interest overseas. The plot was good, the one liners were superb, and the black humour very funny. Yes its about murder, but humourous murder - who could quibble about that when there are so many vile violent films out there ?
and the food fight - if you can call it that, was very funny indeed, the slowmotion poppadoms shattering everywhere, the sag aloo splattering down, very very funny, very arty and yet had an inner dignity
still giggle at the vegetarian ghost who complains that she has been murdered with a meat skewer - you could have used a paneer skewer she plaintively cries.
my only negaitive remark is that some of the minor characters were rather one dimemsional - the police are UK police but they behave just like indian police would in a film, so again I'd guess that is for the export market
I'm ordering the DVD so my mum can watch it with me, she is going to love it too
on 18 August 2010
I was put off watching this by all the negative reviews and totally regret that now because it is a fabulous movie.
on 19 January 2011
I went to see this movie after returning from my first visit to India and feeling very 'homesick'! It had me laughing throughout. It is a bit silly and bizarre in places, but overall is really entertaining, with a lovely feel-good ending! Relating to some of the Indian phrases/food/jokes, etc, I picked up on holiday there, made this film even more funny and personal! Would definitely recommend.
on 20 September 2014
Absolutely crackers British Asian fantasy from Gurinder Chadha, and starring Sanjeev Bhaskar, Jimi Mistry and Zoe Wannamaker amongst others. Aiming for satire and a spin on the old tropes of Asian parents in Britain trying to get their children married-off, Chadha hits the target occasionally but generally settles for daft dialogue and tired stereotypes.
on 4 March 2013
I read about this film online and thought it looked good so I boughton the off chance what I had read was true. It was! I really enjoyed the film, from the comedy to the romance. Good acting and funny story, wish there were more movies like this one!
on 9 January 2014
i just love these film have since i watched it on film 4, its funny as these sweet mother is just trying to find her daughter a husband so she can die in peace knowing her daughter looked after, but these nasty people say she too fat, ugly, not good enough for their sons/ nephews so she sets out to make them pay, well too say they end up haunting her as ghosts in a comic way,
on 12 April 2012
The movie delivered almost everything the trailer promised. The plot is smart enough and it gives you more than a few good laughs yet it fails in a few scenes as well. The director after making so many films which are centered on the new Indian generation and marriage (a bit fairy tale like but who cares), this time a mother has the first word. Also it might be because like the leading role I'm chubby myself but I totally get the hesitation, the mother's anger and the hilarity of situation. In my opinion this movie its all about love. A mother's love and romantic love as nothing comes easily about rejection or the fear of it.

So it was more than pleasant but it had a few through offs as well. That spiritual obsessed non-indian girl some times came too much for the plot but although it was a miss many times I think it added some flavor and saved the movie from many plot holes.
on 28 December 2015
I liked this movie very much, even though I had not heard of it before I stumbled upon it on Amazon. It most probably did not have widespread popularity in Australia where I live, unlike Bend It Like Beckham which was popular in Australia; and which was also directed by Gurinder Chadha. It has an International romantic lead character in Sendhil Ramamurthy, who I had also seen in the American TV series “Heroes” and “Beauty and the Beast”. It also has several other well-known actors such as Mark Addy, Sanjeev Bhaskar and Zoe Wanamaker. I thought that the homage to “Carrie” in it was inspired and very funny. The very slight “horror” aspects in it slightly put me off, as every time Sanjeev Bhaskar’s insides kept sliding out through his stomach it made me cringe on its first viewing, even though I did get used to it on repeated viewings. It also comes with a “making of” featurette which sheds light on the making of this movie. Overall I liked it very much and have shown it to my friends and family.
on 7 August 2014
one of the best , most underrated comedies ever, so funny, doesn't take itself seriously unlike some other British comedies, I have bought 3 copies for other people, not had one person not love it, all brilliantly acted, great soundtrack too, please watch this film !!
on 9 June 2012
The description on the back of the DVD, Big Fat Greek Wedding meets Shaun of the Dead, was apt. I watched this with my teenage daughter and we both enjoyed it. Yet another great film from Gurinder Chadha.
Simple plot with plenty of humour and a good cast.