Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2010
i saw this at the cinema - the reviews were terrible but I'm used to critics "not getting" bollywood and humour.
it was a bit slow in places - with panoramic sweeps of the city etc, but clearly that is to be of interest overseas. The plot was good, the one liners were superb, and the black humour very funny. Yes its about murder, but humourous murder - who could quibble about that when there are so many vile violent films out there ?
and the food fight - if you can call it that, was very funny indeed, the slowmotion poppadoms shattering everywhere, the sag aloo splattering down, very very funny, very arty and yet had an inner dignity
still giggle at the vegetarian ghost who complains that she has been murdered with a meat skewer - you could have used a paneer skewer she plaintively cries.
my only negaitive remark is that some of the minor characters were rather one dimemsional - the police are UK police but they behave just like indian police would in a film, so again I'd guess that is for the export market
I'm ordering the DVD so my mum can watch it with me, she is going to love it too
on 18 August 2010
I was put off watching this by all the negative reviews and totally regret that now because it is a fabulous movie.
on 19 January 2011
I went to see this movie after returning from my first visit to India and feeling very 'homesick'! It had me laughing throughout. It is a bit silly and bizarre in places, but overall is really entertaining, with a lovely feel-good ending! Relating to some of the Indian phrases/food/jokes, etc, I picked up on holiday there, made this film even more funny and personal! Would definitely recommend.
on 20 September 2014
Absolutely crackers British Asian fantasy from Gurinder Chadha, and starring Sanjeev Bhaskar, Jimi Mistry and Zoe Wannamaker amongst others. Aiming for satire and a spin on the old tropes of Asian parents in Britain trying to get their children married-off, Chadha hits the target occasionally but generally settles for daft dialogue and tired stereotypes.
on 12 April 2012
The movie delivered almost everything the trailer promised. The plot is smart enough and it gives you more than a few good laughs yet it fails in a few scenes as well. The director after making so many films which are centered on the new Indian generation and marriage (a bit fairy tale like but who cares), this time a mother has the first word. Also it might be because like the leading role I'm chubby myself but I totally get the hesitation, the mother's anger and the hilarity of situation. In my opinion this movie its all about love. A mother's love and romantic love as nothing comes easily about rejection or the fear of it.

So it was more than pleasant but it had a few through offs as well. That spiritual obsessed non-indian girl some times came too much for the plot but although it was a miss many times I think it added some flavor and saved the movie from many plot holes.
on 4 March 2013
I read about this film online and thought it looked good so I boughton the off chance what I had read was true. It was! I really enjoyed the film, from the comedy to the romance. Good acting and funny story, wish there were more movies like this one!
on 9 January 2014
i just love these film have since i watched it on film 4, its funny as these sweet mother is just trying to find her daughter a husband so she can die in peace knowing her daughter looked after, but these nasty people say she too fat, ugly, not good enough for their sons/ nephews so she sets out to make them pay, well too say they end up haunting her as ghosts in a comic way,
on 28 December 2015
I liked this movie very much, even though I had not heard of it before I stumbled upon it on Amazon. It most probably did not have widespread popularity in Australia where I live, unlike Bend It Like Beckham which was popular in Australia; and which was also directed by Gurinder Chadha. It has an International romantic lead character in Sendhil Ramamurthy, who I had also seen in the American TV series “Heroes” and “Beauty and the Beast”. It also has several other well-known actors such as Mark Addy, Sanjeev Bhaskar and Zoe Wanamaker. I thought that the homage to “Carrie” in it was inspired and very funny. The very slight “horror” aspects in it slightly put me off, as every time Sanjeev Bhaskar’s insides kept sliding out through his stomach it made me cringe on its first viewing, even though I did get used to it on repeated viewings. It also comes with a “making of” featurette which sheds light on the making of this movie. Overall I liked it very much and have shown it to my friends and family.
When mother realises that her dumpy daughter is being discussed by other in the village as unlikely to marry she takes revenge on them using her greatest talent - cooking. Her death-by-curry shenanigans lead to a police murder investigation, meanwhile Mrs. Sethi finds herself constantly surrounded by the ghosts of those she killed.

I wasn't expecting a modern classic but I hoped that It's A Wonderful Afterlife would provide a heart-warming comedy with a good dose of kitchen sink drama, unfortunately it didn't deliver. The concept is okay but it feels as though it's only part of an idea stretched out over an hour and a half. The humour is very thin and there's very little story concluding with a predictable ending.

The film benefits from an excellent cast including Sally Hawkins, Shabana Azmi, Sanjeev Bhaskar and Jimi Mistry but even they aren't able to salvage the film from being a below average, badly executed comedy. The few jokes which exist here are either milked or simply aren't that good, even the ghosts (who don't seem that bothered about their early demise) look dodgy with their patchy grey body paint. Bend It Like Beckham was celebrated for its portrayal of family life for British children with traditional Indian parents and all the characters had depth, but here everyone feels like a flat caricature.

Near the end of the film there's a parody of the famous final scenes from Carrie, but they feel shoehorned in for the sake of it. The scene is typical of the film as a whole, it feels as though the film is used simply as a vehicle for a series of ideas which have existed on paper for years before getting their chance to be used. Together they don't work, they feel like a jumbled mess chucked together with no real cohesion - if they existed a series of comedy sketches then it might well work, but there simply isn't enough material to carry a whole film.

In a nutshell: A disappointing film which lacks humour and characterisations. The police scenes look more like something from a kids TV program (when would an irate senior member of the police refer to his force being made to look like "a bunch of wallies"?). Poorly observed with only Sally Hawkins getting to play anything near an interesting character.
on 7 August 2014
one of the best , most underrated comedies ever, so funny, doesn't take itself seriously unlike some other British comedies, I have bought 3 copies for other people, not had one person not love it, all brilliantly acted, great soundtrack too, please watch this film !!