4.0 out of 5 stars I laughed all the way through
i saw this at the cinema - the reviews were terrible but I'm used to critics "not getting" bollywood and humour.
Published on 2 July 2010 by cusally

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great
Not a good film, I think I set my hopes too high because of some of the comedy names and actors in the film. But it was boring and very much B movie level. The 'special effects' and 'ghosts' make up look like they were made out of flour and water. The whole effect of the film? It had potential to be what it looks like on the cover, be in actual fact, its not very good!
Published on 5 Feb. 2011 by Hopesagoodthing

4.0 out of 5 stars I laughed all the way through, 2 July 2010
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
it was a bit slow in places - with panoramic sweeps of the city etc, but clearly that is to be of interest overseas. The plot was good, the one liners were superb, and the black humour very funny. Yes its about murder, but humourous murder - who could quibble about that when there are so many vile violent films out there ?
and the food fight - if you can call it that, was very funny indeed, the slowmotion poppadoms shattering everywhere, the sag aloo splattering down, very very funny, very arty and yet had an inner dignity
still giggle at the vegetarian ghost who complains that she has been murdered with a meat skewer - you could have used a paneer skewer she plaintively cries.
my only negaitive remark is that some of the minor characters were rather one dimemsional - the police are UK police but they behave just like indian police would in a film, so again I'd guess that is for the export market
I'm ordering the DVD so my mum can watch it with me, she is going to love it too

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out-loud and feel good!, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this movie after returning from my first visit to India and feeling very 'homesick'! It had me laughing throughout. It is a bit silly and bizarre in places, but overall is really entertaining, with a lovely feel-good ending! Relating to some of the Indian phrases/food/jokes, etc, I picked up on holiday there, made this film even more funny and personal! Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Aug. 2010
Dimmi Khan (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
I was put off watching this by all the negative reviews and totally regret that now because it is a fabulous movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars It delivers..., 12 April 2012
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
The movie delivered almost everything the trailer promised. The plot is smart enough and it gives you more than a few good laughs yet it fails in a few scenes as well. The director after making so many films which are centered on the new Indian generation and marriage (a bit fairy tale like but who cares), this time a mother has the first word. Also it might be because like the leading role I'm chubby myself but I totally get the hesitation, the mother's anger and the hilarity of situation. In my opinion this movie its all about love. A mother's love and romantic love as nothing comes easily about rejection or the fear of it.

So it was more than pleasant but it had a few through offs as well. That spiritual obsessed non-indian girl some times came too much for the plot but although it was a miss many times I think it added some flavor and saved the movie from many plot holes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and funny, 4 Mar. 2013
H. Eves (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
I read about this film online and thought it looked good so I boughton the off chance what I had read was true. It was! I really enjoyed the film, from the comedy to the romance. Good acting and funny story, wish there were more movies like this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 April 2012
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
Another wonderfully funny and sad film in the end. Best appreciated by those with experience of indian families. The desire for indian mums to see their daughters married and the belief in reincarnation based on what we have done this life. Like bride and prejudice this is a clever twist of a film title. Well worth seeing. I have watched twice already.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 5 Feb. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A good film, 9 Jun. 2012
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
The description on the back of the DVD, Big Fat Greek Wedding meets Shaun of the Dead, was apt. I watched this with my teenage daughter and we both enjoyed it. Yet another great film from Gurinder Chadha.
Simple plot with plenty of humour and a good cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful film, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
When I bought this film it was a "blind purchase", but I would recommend it to anyone. It is very funny, well made film, with well known actors. The story is good, has an unexpected turn and a happy ending (of sorts). Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars murderously funny in an innocent way!, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] (DVD)
I have not laughed so much in ages! Watched this film late at night and immediately came on Amazon to order it as know my family will love it! Great fun low budget film! Great cast! Very silly plot, wonderfully acted.

It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD]
It's A Wonderful Afterlife [DVD] by Gurinder Chadha (DVD - 2010)