5.0 out of 5 stars Still getting better!!
Published on 10 Sep 2010 by Tony Worrell

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but original magic is missing.
Published on 24 April 2011 by Michael Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars Still getting better!!, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Live 05 (Audio CD)
After 1971's Colosseum Live I thought that live music could not get any better and the buzz that album provided would never be repeated, but after hearing Live 05 I am glad to say I was wrong. I cannot say the band is better, or the music better but the freshness and sheer briliance of the playing is phenomenal 6 very experienced and talented musicians at the top of their game. The sad loss of Dick Heckstall Smith is compensated for by the sublime playing of Barbara Thompson, which has taken the band further in to jazz, but has brightened the band and possibly revitalised it [not that there was any lack of vitality before]. I was most impressed with , well blown away by, the diference in the renditions of Rope ladder to the moon and Lost Angeles, recognisable but ................. I think the most surprising track, apart from the asides to the audience by Chris Farlowe and Jon Hiseman. was 'Theme for an Imaginary Western' I have over the years heard this by Greenslade, Jack Bruce, Mountain and Leslie West and it has become a safe tune, well the version on here picks it up and ignites it, it takes the best parts of each version and turns it into something special especially with the additional vocal of Mark Clarke [I think ] coming in to contrast Chris Farlowe. I would write more but I need to go and play it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb live band in their element., 2 Dec 2010
J. MILLER "JohnM" (Farnham, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 05 (Audio CD)
Colosseum were one of England's finest 'prog-rock' or 'jazz-rock' bands of the early 70s, with an unique chemistry, tremendous chops and mixture of experience. The crucial personnel changes happened early on; guitarist/vocalist James Litherland replaced by Dave Clempson, bassist Tony Reeves replaced by Mark Clarke (Reeves ended up in Greenslade) and in a timely move Chris Farlowe, whose career was in the doldrums at the time, was brought in on vocals. This was a classic band of the era and they were - and are - at their most impressive live.

There has been one more personnel change; following the death of Dick Heckstall-Smith, Hiseman got the wife in. Barbara Thompson had by this time already been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, but she plays brilliantly on this 2CD set. It is not quite as aggressive as the 1994 reunion CD, but they are still a truly magnificent and superbly-matched group of players. One of the great live bands returns yet again with another stunning concert recording in front of what must be their best audience. It seems the Europeans remember and appreciate Colosseum a lot more than the English; a shame, for this is a legendary band indeed.

The 2CDs are a mixture of new material and the old favourites; everything is good, but if you have the 1994 concert expect some duplication of tracks. In fairness, they can't NOT play 'Valentine Suite' or 'Lost Angeles', and both of these work up a considerable head of steam, but for me the standouts are 'Rope Ladder to the Moon' and 'Tomorrow's Blues' which is far better than the studio version, the best track, and makes this set worth considering even if you have one of the previous live albums.
Colosseum....we will never see their like again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time favourite, 3 Sep 2010
Stephen J. Smith "Musicman" (Mexico City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 05 (Audio CD)
First heard Colosseum on John Peel's Top Gear. That's giving my age away! Went straight out and bought the first album. Saw them a couple of times, at the Greyhound in Croydon, a phenomenal night, and then at the Albert Hall. Superb band. I have everything they have done, and this new one does not disappoint.

I remember briefly meeting Jon Hiseman in the seventies at the Bull in Barnes after he had played with Paraphernalia, Barbara Thompson's fine outfit. I mentioned Colosseum and what I fan I am, and he laughed. It took time but getting back together has been a great thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but original magic is missing., 24 April 2011
Michael Chapman (Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 05 (Audio CD)
I first saw Colosseum in 1968/9 at my college dance and they will be for me the best LIVE band that I've ever seen. And I've seen hundreds if not thousands of bands in the last forty plus years. Colosseum's first live recording 'Colosseum LIVE' released in 1971 is the ultimate LIVE band recording and reflects perfectly what Colosseum where all about. LIVE05 is good but it's missing that magic as heard in 'Colosseum Live 1971' hence 3 stars.
Saying all that LIVE05 is a must for any true Colosseum fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars A record of a moment in time, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Live 05 (MP3 Download)
But not a patch on the 1994 reunion concert recordings. I found this a huge disappointment, whilst Chris Farlowe was still magnificent, there were some other vocals that were just awful. The band just doesn't seem totally with it and the recording quality is poor too - sounds like it was recorded by someone in the crowd with a cassette desk whereas the 1994 concerts had fantastic sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars good live CD , 2orth buying., 4 Oct 2014
P. Collins (Essex,England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 05 (Audio CD)
Some good live work here and enjoyed the variation of valentine suite, although it did not better the original in my view.nice to hear musicians enjoying their music. Gets a frequent airing, so worth buying if you like the lads.

Live 05
Live 05 by Colosseum (Audio CD - 2010)