5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Cheering-Up Medicine for Those with Routine Illnesses
Most of us make lousy patients. I'm told that physicians are the worst. We think the worst. We miss what we can't do. We take it out on everyone around us. In short, we need to lighten up.
Published on 24 May 2004 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but short
A fun little book, but little is the right word! It's more of a booklet; the price seems a bit steep considering you would normally get a full length paperback novel for £5.24.

Published 20 months ago by Peter760

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Cheering-Up Medicine for Those with Routine Illnesses, 24 May 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Hardcover)
Maeve Binchy and Wendy Shaw ended up having hip replacement surgery around the same time, and compared notes. They realized the patients needed something to cheer them up. This little, light-hearted, warm book is just the ticket! I think it is the best book gift I have seen for those going through normal illnesses.
I wouldn't recommend it for people with serious, life-threatening situations. An inspiring book about miracle recoveries would work better there. Lance Armstrong's new book, It's Not About the Bike, fits the bill for many cancer patients, for example.
Here's what's in this book. It begins with an explanation about Ms. Binchy's hip replacement that includes having to face up to the need to lose weight, stop smoking, and cut way back on the alcohol. In a witty fashion, she makes great good fun out of her own fears and foibles. You can't help but like her for it, and begin to laugh at yourself a little in your own past experiences with doctors, nurses and hospitals.
From there, she goes on to provide witty lists that would cheer anyone up. One of my favorites was full of put-downs (that everyone has thought, but never said) to one's roommate in the hospital. No, you won't say these either, but you'll probably break up laughing as you think about this list every time you look at the other patient.
There are lists for what gifts to ask for, things to do when you get home, what tasks to give visitors, and every other imaginable circumstance.
The book is enjoyable both for its humor, and its good humor -- showing you how to look on the bright side. One of my favorite sections was the story about the woman who thought she was having a heart attack, and ended up getting a lecture from a third year medical student (serving as a waitress) about all of the other things it could be that are not so serious.
Smile! You'll feel better when you do!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those entering into the caring profession, 2 Feb. 2003
Alison Franks (stoke on trent, staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Paperback)
I have just read this book whilst revising for a biology exam (Im a first year student nurse). I was looking for information on Arthritis but found something much more valuable. This book gives an insight into how a patient feels, how they view the nurses and doctors and most importantly how to respect their thoughts and anxieties.
A very easy read which is a must for all those going into hospital and those who work there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining but with serious advice, 3 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Paperback)
This book is full of witty comments on surviving a hip operation and also surviving the visits of well wishers whilst in hospital. Maeve Binchy's usual comic observations of life are much in evidence. It is well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aches and pains book, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Kindle Edition)
very good book enjoyed reading it, a good read, would recommend it to my friends,
an easy read, could not put it down, read it at every opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homely wisdom, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Kindle Edition)
I found this book greatly entertaining and so full of good sense and truth. Having recently had a hip replacement I can vouch for the authenticity of the experience described by dear Maeve Binchy, who will be sadly missed by all who have enjoyed her novels over the years. This book is factual and funny and a must read for anyone who suffers from arthritis and is contemplating surgery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aches& Pains, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Kindle Edition)
Just had to read this in two goes. After having 2 knew knees in the same year I found this most funny and enjoyable .Folk are different people when there is somebody sick. They either become a know all about what you have got wrong, or they cannot look or speak to you like they did before. Very good read l wounded if she found this before she sadly passed away .She is missed all ready.

4.0 out of 5 stars good as a gift for some sick people, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Paperback)
I'm a huge Maeve Binchy fan; this little book(booklet - it is little) made me laugh and I can think of some friends/family I will give it to if they're in hospital - but not all. Some people do not take kindly to joshing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but short, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Paperback)

That said it would be a good answer to, "what do I take to someone in hospital?" when everyone else has brought in the usual flowers (now not popular with many hospitals) bottles of squash, box of tissues, or puzzle book.

Being small it is easy to dip into and just read a bit if you are feeling unwell and can't get into a full story plotline.

You will score points with your sick friend, who will remember the book long after the flowers have died and the tissues are in the landfill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had a good laugh at many of the stories, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Kindle Edition)
Very Binchy ! Had a good laugh at many of the stories.
At a certain age where I or my friends can relate to the tales ! I have recommended the book to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aches and Pains, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Aches & Pains (Paperback)
difficult question to answer I get these books for my wife and she gave it as a Christmas present to one of her pals but as you see she rates Maeve Binchy

Aches & Pains