on 7 September 2010
Having been put off Garmin and Tom Tom with the low rated reviews, I believe this little beauty should be better considered. Whilst some of Garmin's units have had Which Product accolades you really ought to consider this one. Clean and simple. I bought it for my wife, she can use it no problem. It has a very good way of fixing to the windscreen and looks far more elegent and robust than the other makes.

There is one minor thing - when saving routes it only saves destinations and waypoints and calculates the route every time, always giving options. You cannot save a specific route.

Like all equipment, get to understand it and you will find it a usefull tool.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a review of the "Premium" rather than Live version.

We bought this little beauty on offer from Halfords as the current Amazon price is too high still - we paid just £99.00. We have a TomTom Go Live 750 (which was £199.00 six months ago from Amazon but I see it's now £175.00 having been discontinued already!!); we also have and an older Garmin 360T and wanted to replace this - but didn't want to pay out twice for the TomTom Live Traffic subscription (come on TomTom - why not sell some kind of family discount!?).

The Navigon has the "Premium" version of the NavTech TMC traffic built in for free - but soon (for an annual fee like TomTom and Garmin) you will be able to upgrade it to Navigon's own "Live Traffic" service (it's not available in the UK just yet). So far, though, the free TMC has proven first class and very reliable. I think the Live version is likely to be better for smaller road traffic problems as well as including free Speed camera updates (you get 3 months worth of these free with the new unit, then it's £25.00 / year).

Well - the Navigon is excellent. It's thinner and lighter than the TomTom but does everything that you would ever want from a SatNav. The text-to-speech beats the TomTom for clarity and smoothness, the menu system is intuitive and clear; the touch screen is super responsive; the volume is excellent; it has full postal code search... in fact, I haven't found a single area where the TomTom is better (equal yes - better, no). The manufacturing standard seems excellent, too - a very stylish, solid and well-made unit.

And there's more: Navigon give you a 2-year map upgrade for just £16.00 (you have to buy it within 30 days). I hadn't realised this when I bought it and, well, TomTom and Garmin are around £60.00 / year so this is a real gift from Navigon.

I really didn't think anything other than Garmin or TomTom could be this good - well it is. Well done the Germans! Vorsprung durch technik, eh?

As an update a month or so after owning this: it's superb. My son uses it while I use the TomTom GoLive 750. Which is better for us? They are both excellent but for me the clarity of voice and the clever view on the Navigon beat the TomTom. Also, the TomTom has a habit of rebooting itself randomly whereas, so far, the Navigon remains rock solid. Finally, the Navigon undoubtedly boots up, re-routes and recalculates far more quickly. Can't fault it.
on 28 February 2011
Never written a review but feel I ought to for this.
For years I have managed to get to places (just) with no devices. I would always get a rough idea where I was heading then rely on printed directions when locating a road in a city centre which can be a pain if you are on your own.
I thought it should be time to get a sat nav but did not want to spend alot of money. I just wanted a device that would direct me from a to b. I looked into the big names like garmin and tom tom. I heard various opinions on these, garmin were good, tom tom are better blah blah blah. Read a few reviews on this little fella and took the plunge and got one.
I have used it a few times now. It is really accurate, the display is great, very easy to use. Has all the features you need. If you are looking for a good reliable cheap sat nav then this is the one. A few people have commented about the in car holder is fiddly.... Not the case it is so easy to put the sat nav in the holder and get it back off
Only 2 downsides with this unit which is why I have given it 4 stars. 1. The unit has to be turned on to be able to charge from the mains cable (not a major problem to be honest). 2. The only thing I did miss when looking at different Sat navs (after all I am a sat nav virgin) Was the map updates. With other brands You pay £80 for life for map updates. Although with this one you get the first 2 years for £19 it is £80 there after for every 2 years.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Fantastic, what can I say?
Ok, so this bit of kit does'nt know everything, even when your satellite signal is monitoring your every move from within a few meters. However there may be discrepancies between the software representation of the virtual world, and the real world, when occasionally your signal tries to route your vehicle around a newly re-roaded one way system or across a river ford or other. This Navigon is perhaps one of the more competent sat-navs that is within affordability than a gamble on an overly expensive Tom-Tom that can give just as good a guidance but one that is not so samey, run of the mill disposables which requires an almost re-purchase to keep them updated.
This exact model has the better features as standard, branded as 'premium', than with models similar but with superfluous features which are more expensive. Therefore, your starting point, if you have decided on a Navigon is to plump for the premium model and buy the unnecessary if required as upgrades - online.
on 24 August 2011
An excellent device of German make, superior to equivalent TomToms or Garmins.
I have had difficulties purchasing on-line the discounted 2 year subscription to quarterly map updates.
This is a web page design problem which they committed themselves to resolve.
While doing so they have assured me by email that the 30 day from purchase limit on the 80% discounted offer will be extended until such time as a problem is solved.
On my week long trip to Germany I found the voice crystal clear and the directions accurate and precise.
Compared with alternative devices it is superior and better value for your money.
on 11 October 2011
I used this extensively throughout Ireland (north & south) during a two and a half week holiday, as well as using it in the UK. It was pretty reliable, but as with all satellite navigation devices, you need to use a certain amount of common sense, and not slavishly follow the instructions when your eyes tell you that things aren't quite right. Unlike the Garmin Nuvi 250 it replaced, the Navigon was always able to correctly count the number of exits from a roundabout! The price includes some reduced price map updates, which gives it an advantage over competitors. For the price of updating the Garmin, I could have bought a new basic sat nav. Now that Garmin have taken over Navigon, it is to be hoped that Navigon's policy doesn't change.

This model only offers two voices, a male & female. You can buy extra "comic" voices but having heard a sample, on the Navigon website, I wouldn't bother. The female voice feels just a little tinny compared to the Garmin and Tom Tom devices I've used previously, but it's quite acceptable. I haven't bothered with the male voice. All the different makes & models have different strengths & weaknesses and it's not easy making a selection. All round I felt this one was pretty good and I'm happy with my choice.