5.0 out of 5 stars Love the songs!
Published 16 months ago by S. Briggs

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 16 Feb 2012 by Jeffrey Lehman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the songs!, 21 July 2013
S. Briggs "loadsabooks" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
The songs alone, sung very tunefully and expressively by French children, in a range of musical styles, are worth getting this book for. I put this on in the car with no great expectations and within a few hours of driving on various trips my 8 year old was singing along to the songs, as was I! Before that she knew no French apart from Bonjour / Au revoir / merci Je m'appelle / a few colours. She now sings several of them all the time, with a beautiful accent (and also the Spanish version too as I quickly bought that as I was so impressed! ) .We haven't worked on the rest of the book much yet as I felt it best for her to continue to absorb the language through the rest of the songs, but the activities look good to me, as a qualified language teacher. I love the fact that the very first activity in the book is a song about a trip to the zoo where the child is introduced to the concept of words which look very similar but sound quite different in the foreign language. This immediately got my daughter listening very carefully to the sounds on the CD and then trying to match them. My daughter has already learned the basis for so much future language development eg the first song includes: excellent modelling of pronunciation, names of animals, use of perfect tense with être, perfect tense with avoir, question form ("Qu'as-tu vu?"), useful phrase: ("C'est tout?"). Another really charming song has the lyrics translated: I have a little kitten/He is so sweet/ He chases mice / Little kitten / Where are you? / Miaow Miaow/ I am under the bed. It continues with other activities the kitten does (I don't think those are translated) and the prepositions on / in the bed and ends with Ssssssh, I'm sleeping, so again LOADS of helpful language. Another very jazzy and catchy song has the days of the week with different activities eg Lundi je fais de la musique, so as well as the days of the week and useful vocal the child is learning the use of the present tense for everyday actions. I cannot recommend it too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for children, 7 May 2012
J. Evans (Angleterre) - See all my reviews
I'm a French teacher, and I bought this book for teaching children from about 5 upwards. There is no age given, but I think it is suitable for a wide range of ages. The songs are catchy and up-to-date, and children can learn a lot from listening to them, with or without the book. Of course, working through the activities is no guarantee that the children will have retained everything, but with young children I find you have to do a lot of fun activities and trust that some of it will stick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for pre-Secondary school kids, 7 Aug 2009
C. Jones "Cazza" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought Book 1 and Book 2 for my 3 children aged 7,9 and 11. Book 1 has great music on the CD which has helped my 3 learn so much French. The layouts and illustrations of the book are excellent and my children have loved them. I have worked through the books with the children to help them get the most out of the books but I have enjoyed the process and the music. Book 2 is a definite step up and is very good for covering quite a lot of french that will be learnt at the start of secondary school, again very good illustrations and topics. The CD has less music and more listening activities for the kids to do along with the book.

Rose McNab the author also writes the school french textbooks called Metro which are used in a lot of secondary schools and looking at the French Club books and Metro there are a lot of similarities so I feel the books are preparing my 11 year old well for French at secondary school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Mar 2011
I love this French book. My 7 year old has really enjoyed listening to the CD and learning the catchy songs. These link to the book helping to bring it to life. The subjects that are covered are interesting and it is a good level for someone new to french.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 3 May 2014
Got this for my four year old and she loves it. Would recommend for children new to French. Simple to understand and we play the CD in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for early learners of French, 6 Sep 2013
Very useful resource for early learners of French language. Full of bright and colourful ideas to help get basic vocabulary and grammar points across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my 6 year old son, 28 May 2013
This is a very well laid out book. Easy to use and fun also. My son loves it and it makes it alot easier to teach him french.

4.0 out of 5 stars Education, 17 Aug 2013
Well learn a second language is a good thing as it help when you travel and kids are enjoying it, good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 28 May 2013
Easy to use & understand. Would recommend for beginners. Enjoyable to listen to and good for kids to learn the basics.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Feb 2012
Jeffrey Lehman (Market Harborough, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my son when he was 11 years old, and preparing to enter year 8, as I thought it would be good revision. However, it is one of those books for kids with a lot of things on the page, but not much to do with them. You can do the activities in about 5 minutes, but it doesn't mean you have learned very much. The CD was difficult to get into, because the French was far more advanced than what you find in the book, and impossible for him to follow. It would have been okay if there was as transcript of the material on the CD, but there isn't. I suppose if the parent knows a bit of French, they could help the child make sense of the CD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›