5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality with a couple of niggles
The proven track record of 360 games and the XBox Live experience is well documented - so I'm not going to review this side of things. Quite frankly the software experience on the 360 is second to none. Its hardware history over the years has been plagued with RROD failure and noisy hardware operation.

My thoughts on the new 360 compared to the old. The only...
Published on 19 July 2010 by R - With More Particle Effects!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much different from the old 360.
I mainly bought this for the bigger hard drive. My old xbox only had a 20GB hard drive and I was thinking about just buying a 120GB hard drive, but then I thought why not buy the new xbox. The 250GB hard drive on this is more than enough for anyone, and I love the inbuilt wifi. A definite improvement from the old xbox. Not sure if it's worth all the money though...
Published 11 months ago by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality with a couple of niggles, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)

My thoughts on the new 360 compared to the old. The only differences with the new Xbox 360 S 250GB compared to older design 360s are the standard larger 250GB HDD, wireless 'N' WIFI now built in, the whisper quiet operation and the redesign of its outer appearance (including touch sensitive buttons). It has an optical output for surround sound amplifiers too, which I don't use, and is Kinect ready such that the 360 slim will power the Kinect camera directly whereas the old 360 will need a separate AC adaptor for Kinect.

I've had my new 'slim' a few days now and the new black sleek shiny design is surely very sexy, and will not look out of place under your TV with your other AV equipment. The slim 360 is slightly smaller than the old 360 (not by much though, mainly in height when vertical by approx 1.5 inches) and it's definitely quieter. The DVD drive is still fairly noisy when playing games, but this can be solved by simply installing games to the HDD. All in all the new slim certainly has an excellent exterior build quality and finish which finally gives it a quality AV component feel. And the 250GB HDD will take some filling, even when installing games to HDD. These are the pros of the new slim.

The cons of the new slim. Well it appears that the 360 slim kicks out a lot of heat from its main exhaust grill - which heats up the surrounding exterior casing too. And I mean it's hot!! Now, this isn't necessarily a problem as perhaps this shows that the unit is adequately expelling the hot temperature from the inner casing of the 360, away from the main heatsink that sits on top of the combined main processor/graphics processor chip on the new Valhalla motherboard. The old 360 due to its design had a problem expelling the heat from the console and as such resulted in the dreaded RROD. So the heat coming out of the new 360 slim may not be a con (negative) at all. I guess time will tell. One other thing to note, the slim will also shut itself down if it overheats, allowing itself to cool down before permitting the user to switch it back on - which should help reduce the chance of permanent damage to the console.

The second slightly concerning thing for me is the noise coming from the external power brick (the PSU) - which is also smaller than the old power brick. The fans are clearly audible and in some ways negate the new quietness of the new 360 console itself. Now, I've discovered something. My power brick used to sit on the carpet behind my AV cabinet, and I could still hear it. I've moved it onto a wooden shelf at the back of the AV unit so it's now on a solid level surface and much closer to the AV unit therefore muffling the sound much better than where it was positioned previously. As a result I can barely hear the power brick at all any more - even when I put my ear over the back of my TV. I think placing it on a solid surface has helped. And I don't think my power brick is faulty because the noise comes from inbuilt fans - and even Microsoft's xbox website reports that the noise of fans from the power brick is normal, and will even increase as the power brick heats up.

In summary, the new Xbox 360 slim is a definite improvement on the old 360 in all respects. Only time will tell if it's more reliable but I suspect it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Word of warning: doesn't come with HDMI cable., 23 July 2010
A. Le Sauvage "XBL: Crimson Hikari" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
I am going to sound a little bit like a fangirl what with the 5 star review, but I don't care. I'm just fed up of the whiny reviews saying stuff about fingerprints and noise claims, and hope to give a fair-ish review.

I wasn't originally going to upgrade to the new XBox 360 until I went to University. But then 3 weeks before it was released in the UK, my Elite, which gave me 2 years of gaming without a hitch, red-ringed on a saturday night which was meant to be a gaming night for me and my mates! To say I was peed off was an understatement. So with the claim that the new XBox 'cannot red-ring', I waited patiently for a few weeks, and bought the replacement XBox 360 S in HMV (after Amazon decided to take their sweet time to get it here. We've sent the Amazon one back...disappointing since we pre-ordered and paid extra postage as well).

First of all: the 'Whisper-quiet' claim - DEPENDENT ON THE GAME BEING PLAYED! I noticed a distinct difference in noise when playing different games. Playing Red Dead: Redemption, the console was almost silent. It gave out a smooth low hum, and I could hear everything that the characters were saying without putting the volume on the TV up or reading the subtitles at the bottom of the screen. When playing Fable 2, however, the poor console sounded like it was going to roll down my desk like a runway and take off. Different games have different results, so if you're having problems with a noisy game, install the game to the hard drive: There's enough room on the thing! If it's still noisy, then something isn't right.

So far, I've experienced better wireless connection than that of the old Elite, which tended to disconnect at the most inopportune times (Mid-match, or mid-movie). The connection is definitely stronger, and I haven't had it drop randomly during gameplay or while streaming films from Sky Player. (Also a very good thing while playing Gears Of War 2, which is P2P and requires a good connection to host. Good news though, GOW 3 to have online servers! Sound off like you've got a pair!!! YEAH!)

But back to the subject in hand...

The hard drive space is another thing that is worth buying for. Having a few extra gig is always a good thing, especially if you wish to install the games to the console (this tends to put less strain on the disk drive, and make the console quieter, on both new and original). If you want to transfer your data, get the official cable. The transfer doesn't take long, and it's worth it to keep all your saved data.

The console does get warm, but the vents on the console are placed in a better place than on the original. Where they were at the back before, they are now on top, and as heat rises it goes straight out the vents at the top.

One complaint: It should be shipped with a HDMI cable as well as a composite cable. I had one from the Elite already and a spare from something else so this wasn't a problem, but a first time buyer will have to buy the cable separately. Not really much of a problem as they aren't expensive, but with High Definition almost standard, it's something that should be mandatory for a current generation console. But it isn't worth taking a full star off the rating for.

Aesthetically, the console is definitely pretty. The case is a little more angular, but still has the smooth edges and the shiny surface makes it look more appealing to the eye than the old matte casing. I do like the touch button to open the disk tray, and the start-up noise the power button has. It make a nice little pinging sound just before the tray opens and feels very fresh...Yes, the little things like that amuse me.

All in all, definitely worth it, ESPECIALLY if your XBox is circling the drain. The pros definitely outweigh the cons in terms of accessories, the price and package value, so if you're hesitant about buying it, I hope this helps in your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 16 Aug 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
Well finally replaced my original Xbox (yes original first release week edition) since it was big clumpy and old, but it still worked. Must be an antique by now!

The new one what a difference the thing doesn't make a sound when you use it. No longer am I watching or playing games with what sounds like a jet engine taking off.

It seems to load quicker and had no faults at all with it yet. the hard drive is excellent addition as my old 20gb was full and I can now install the games instead of playing off the DVD helping reduce the noise even more.

Anyone who has the older style or even the newer one will benifit if they want quiter machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has been reliable so far..., 13 April 2011
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
I owned a Xbox 360 Pro for 3 years. One month into my ownership, the DVD drive broke. I took it back to the store for exchange. A year and a half later, the video broke. I sent it to Microsoft for repair for a fee and lost all my licenses in the process (I got them restored after many hassles). Three years into my ownership, it died - of the dreaded RRoD. I thought of moving to another platform, but I didn't because I owned too many Xbox 360 games - I was stuck. My point is that the old Xbox 360 Pro had been very unreliable. I am happy to report that there has been no issue with my new Xbox 360 250 GB console since I purchased it on September last year. It has been very reliable so far. It is smaller and much quieter than the Pro. The only two buttons, an ON-OFF button and the tray OPEN-CLOSE button, are touch-sensitive, so much so that sometimes I opened the DVD drive tray accidentally in the middle of the game. I learned to be careful when I reached for the console. The only complaint I have is the shiny black finish. Dust and fingerprints show up more prominently on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs fine if you use the hard drive., 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
This xbox is a little bit smaller than the old versions which is obviously better. It does get very dusty because of the type of plastic that covers it but this isn't too much of a problem. The hard drive is now inserted underneath which makes it hard to remove but you don't remove it too much anyway. It is whisper quiet if you use the 250GB space and install your games. The power box is probably louder than the xbox. The touch controls on the front can be annoying when you touch them by accident but just have to be careful. It looks much better and runs alot better than my old xbox. I recommend you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH Beter Than The Original Revisions, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
I've had verious 360's since 2005. A launch console that kept dieing on me (the infamous RRoD) and then a "Japser" Unit that is still going but being sold on....

The New 360 is smaller (a little), looks nicer (if that matters to you) but it is now QUIET which makes it so much nicer to use. The 360 has always been a good games player but the noise created by the fans and the DVD drive have hampered it for use as a media streamer. This new version is super quiet when streaming media (now quieter than my PS3 which spins up the fans regularly during streaming HD content) and the DVD is a little quieter but the HDD space available means you now have the capasity to install games to the HDD for super quiet gaming.

Overall it's a great unit and is kinda how the Xbox should have been built years ago.

The reviews mentioning a noisy power brick are probably accurate BUT the PSU fan only activates if it gets hot. Mine is just laying on the floor and it makes NO SOUND. I would guess that the ones making a noise are not well ventilated or faulty!

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple review, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
I love games and own ps3, wii and xbox360. All of them have got their own advantages and dis advantages.

First of all, as lot of people are concerned about the durability of 360, I got a prod in the past on my premium 360 two years ago, also my launch ps3 died as well so had to buy a slim one for playing gt5 which in my view wasnt that great.

I would rate 360 over ps3 because of the controller, how it feels in ones hands especially while playing shooters or racing games. It feels more robust, vibration feels more solid, trigger buttons feel more what should i say solid again lol , I owned bioshock 2 on ps3 and xbox360 and the playing experience is hugely different cause of the controller, the ps3 controller feels weak, triggers are hard to press, ps3 controller is best for button mashers like yakuza, god of war or ninja gaiden but for shooters and racers, 360 controller is best.

The slim 360 looks really cool, wifi is great and in built, I am not good at reviews but wanted to make my point, live is really good, love playing halo firefight and horde on gears of war 2.

As far as exclusives go, Gears of war 3 and Forza 4 are coming out this year are big games.

If ps3 had 360 controller, I would have played on ps3.

Lot of people keep worrying about their console's durability or dying, just play games and enjoy, no one knows what will happen in the future, are our jobs, life span, for that matter is anything guaranteed in this chaotic world of ours, atleast there is one year guarantee with 360 , if something happens, microsoft will fix it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great improvement to an already great machine., 27 Oct 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
I purchased the original xbox 360 on December 2nd 2005 (the launch date), after almost 5 years of owning the console and several red ring situation death i decided it was time to get a new console. I thought it would be beneficial to me, especially as i needed to purchase a wireless internet receiver for the console aswell.

Dont get me wrong, i loved my orignal xbox 360, played 100's of games on the machine but this machine just makes me forget all about the flaws that the orignal had as they have all been erased to create a much more efficient and better console. Some of my main problems with the first batch of 360's where the small hard drive space (20 GB), the sheer amount of noise created by the machine and the fact that it couldn't receive a wifi connection without buying a adapter at an extra cost.

All these problems have been worked on and changed within the new console. The hard drive space has been extended to a huge 250gb worth of space which is a very nice addition to have, as no more constantly deleting demos etc has to be done. The sound of the machine is a huge highlight of the new console. While watching a DVD or playing a game on the older console, the noise from the console could be distracting at times, especially when watching a DVD. This problem is something you can forget about with the new console, it is whisper quiet and when i walk into my friends room with the old 360 it shocks me whenever i hear how loud the original consoles are compared to the new machine.

Another great pro to the console is the built in wifi, its easy and also a lot more efficient than the adapter which ive used previously. You can get the connection up and running within minutes and i havent had a hitch yet in terms of connection either.

Of course with all these pros theres also cons which come with the console as well, which is mainly the fact that you have to purchase a new console at £200+ for something which should of been included within the original console in the first place.

Overall the new console is miles better than the first and whether you plan on buying the console or not really depends on how much you personally want the pros of the new console, i could easily of lived with the old console but its nice to have the pros of the new one. It all depends on where your interests lie and how you spend your money. The main point is that the new console is a luxury, not a necessity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming Console, 20 Sep 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
What can I say about my XBOX 360 slim. I just love it. I always wanted to own a gaming console during my Teen days but couldn't afford it a few years ago as they were so expensive. Now I am 31 and as I have a good IT job by Gods grace ,I couldn't stop myself from getting my hands on one. XBOX 360 is an amazing console. The GUI is very friendly and easy to use, The graphics is amazing. it is like an all in one device which lets you play games, watch videos either streaming or DVD etc, also lets you Facebook, surf the internet, chat etc. And of course you also have the XBOX live community

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of Design!, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
There may be some people who have been having difficulties with their 360. That's perfectly feesable but i have had my xbox since xmas 2010 and no major niggles or problems have occured. its froze once or twice but when it works you'll be glad you bought it. Also go for 250gb one its much MUCH better!!!

Xbox 360 250GB Console
Xbox 360 250GB Console by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
Used & New from: £70.00