5.0 out of 5 stars Scaringly great
This is my first review so bare with me.
I played Dead Space and I loved it, the isolation of space, the random noises scaring you, the story, and of course the inhuman enemies. So when I knew that Dead Space 2 was coming I got very excited and scared at the same time. This new Dead Space could turn out to be a great game or it could be a uptaded copy of the first...
Published on 19 April 2011 by Toni Neto

3.0 out of 5 stars DDSS
Published on 15 July 2011 by Korbo

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling if slightly repetitive, 26 Sept. 2011
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Dead Space 2 is an improvement over Dead Space 1 and whilst being very enjoyable falls short of being a truly great sequel and a truly great game.

It all kicks off in an asylum of sorts as that's where Isaac has ended up 3 years or so after the events from the first game and the first few encounters with the necromorphs have to be navigated whilst trussed up in a straight jacket with no weapons at all. It's pretty manic and throws you into the thick of the action right from the word go. During these early scenes you'll probably notice the graphics which are more detailed and more polished - no easy feat because the graphic in the original game were damned good.

Possibly the biggest change to the game is now that fact that Isaac now talks. In the first game he was silent throughout which obviously borrowed heavily from Gordon Freeman of Half Life and which lent a certain air of mystery to the whole thing. Isaac now feels a little too generic - the everyman who's dealing with a horrible situation - it's a bit cliche.

In a lot of ways it feels like I'm writing a review of a movie which is a testament to the game's strength of story although it could have been a bit better.

Anyway, it all follows a familiar story arc in that individuals make themselves known over your intercom and work with you to help solve problems that will allow you to escape. The story is a little too keen to introduce characters who will double cross you and I kind of knew who was going to betray my character well before they actually did it leading to sense of deja vu. The story thus lacked impact and credibility because I knew I was going to get screwed over and since this was the only real plot twist the story writers were using it felt pretty old pretty quick.

Some new ideas are introduced with the weapons or the stasis at least in that you can pluck the sharpened limbs off a downed necromorph to stasis blast it through the head of other necro's still trying to kill you. Useful when you have little ammo! There's also a lot of makeshift spears littering the place which can be used for the same purpose and are pretty powerful weapons. You can now also reclaim your power nodes from a weapon to put in a new one or simply to pool your resources in one place. On the first playthrough you'll probably only have enough nodes to really do 1 weapon up to full power whilst upping the stats a little on a couple of the others a little.

Enemies are largely the same as the first game but with the addition of a kind of ostrich like necromoprh that plays peek-a-boo before jumping out, charging and ramming you. These are by far and away the scariest and will have your adrenaline pumping when you have to navigate a room full of them. There are now exploding babies and necromorph 'children' to deal with - it's pretty sick stuff!

The set pieces seemed fewer in this game and there's a few 'boss' baddies which are very easy to kill.

As a survival horror it's a pretty good game but it could have been made utterly pant filling-ly scary if not every batch of enemies was introduced with a change in the music which conveniently drops off to let you know when the attack is over. You're warned too much in advance of what's coming! Through the game you'll start to expect when you're going to be attacked because the same tricks are used over and over. After a while the sense of surprise was diminished greatly as I played through which was a shame because I feel the components are there to make this series seriously scary. Going back a good few years a game that s*it me up was alien vs predator on an atari Jaguar (of all things) because the aliens stayed almost silent. You might a hear a shuffle here and there, turn around and see the alien but only then would it screech as it attacked you causing some genuine jumps - more of that kind of thing would have worked wonders here.

The characters are not as effective as the first game either. There's more of them and it's actually diluted the strength of the story which feels a bit all over the place.

This seems like a harsh review but really it's tough love. I'd only be critical of something that I liked so much and really thought had a lot of potential. Very few games recently have compelled me to play through them (more than once in fact) like DS1 & 2 so the 4 start ratings above are well deserved and indicate a very solid game. The overall atmosphere is still awesome - so dark and creepy and the fun of blasting necro's to bits hasn't worn thin. There are new weapons (javelin gun plus others) and suits to find and the addition of jet packs to the suits is awesome allowing free flight rather than having to jump from surface to surface in zero-g areas.

At this price is an easy recommendation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead space 2 review, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Gameplay is a blast with good combat and feel to the controls, the movement of the character can feel rather heavy and slow but most survival horror games have bad controls soo thats not a massive drawback. I would say that the game feels very much like Resident evil 4 & 5 in the movement of the character,and in the camra angle with the over the shoulder view. The graphics are well presented with good character models and the monsters look fantastic. Dead space has fantastic sound, and it really adds to the overall experience. I would say the only drawback to dead space 2 is that it never really commits its self to givein you a true horror game it border lines on action and horror, Its not a bad thing but it feels rather odd to me but im sure most people will love it
summary
great game with some fantastic cutscenes and a great story

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Space Horror!, 27 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
This was really worth the wait from the prequel, this has a great story with a horrific atmosphere.
The graphics have been vastly enhanced and the lip synch is also very much improved. The reason i don't
give this a five star, is that the game has got some real competition out there, it's not very original.
This may work for the most, but you will see some great looking "over the shoulder games"nearer the holiday
season that will blow this out of the water! overall give it a try :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars DDSS, 15 July 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
The first game scared me half to death. Was on the edge of my seat the entire time I played it. The second game is very much like the first and for me that was a bit of a disappointment. Nothing really new here at all, even the layout of a few of the levels seemed strangely familiar. I knew what to expect lumbering down those dark corridors with Issac's limited movement and when it happened I wasn't in the least bit surprised. if only Issac could roll out of the way instead of mundanely plodding along trying to get a shot in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for an easier game, just a variation in movement. It got to the point that I got bored playing it through the middle part of the game due to it's dull repetitive gameplay. I am now at the final boss fight and I really don't care if I finish the game or not. For me this game was a cae of DDSS. Rent it before you buy it and you'll see what I mean.

4.0 out of 5 stars dead space 2, 9 Nov. 2011
Mrs. E. E. Thornber (earby, lancs england) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I enjoyed the original Dead Space,I had to have Dead Space 2.
The game is brilliant. I know I will play it again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 27 Nov. 2014
OK

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent item and excelennt service was disspatched quickly and arrived almost sraight away im very happy with this product ex, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
excellent item and excelennt service was disspatched quickly and arrived almost sraight away im very happy with this product excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars top 5*, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
if its better than dead space then i will like it alot havent had chance to play yet cant wait

1.0 out of 5 stars Nul sound, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have never had a problem buying secondhand videogames, but when I installed this one on my PS3 the volume was a joke. I couldn't hear almost anything, and in a survival-horror game it is indispensable.
Quite disappointed.

Dead Space 2 (PS3)
Dead Space 2 (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)