5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game
inFAMOUS 2 is an amazing game, amazing enough in fact to push me to make my first ever review.

If you like sandbox games, comics or anything vaguely to do with super powers you'll enjoy this game.

Published on 11 Jun 2011 by Lewiji

3.0 out of 5 stars Average game
I enjoyed the first installment but felt it got a little repetitive after a while. So I thought I would give this game a blast hoping they would have sorted this out, but after playing it I felt the same way about this game. Collect this, save them, disarm bomb..ect ect
It's like a mix of crackdown and prototype. So if you like these games and don't mind mundane...
Published 17 months ago by El kirkus

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game, 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)

Some people are annoyed at the new Cole voice actor, personally I prefer it, makes him less like the Christian Bale Batman and more a believable human being.

A slight criticism with the original inFAMOUS was that mixing up the powers didn't seem to happen much, I'd just spam the normal bolt, inFAMOUS 2 shakes the gameplay up a lot meaning things don't get stale.

The whole morality thing is much better integrated in this game too, choices are generally a bit more subtle and realistic rather than pantomime good vs evil.

So in short - awesome game, stop reading now and buy it, gogogo!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good. It's very, very good., 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Infamous 1 was the first game I got with my ps3. I loved it and beat it several times, finding all the dead drops and completing all the side missions.

When I heard there was a sequel in the making, I was immediately excited. It was hyped up and up, and then eventually it came out. I got it straight away and beat it in a week. Was the hype justified?

Yes. Yes it definitely was.

There are several improvements that stand it head and shoulders above its predecessor. The first thing you will notice when you boot up the game is the graphics. The developers stated they wished to try and emulate the likes of uncharted in terms of visuals and it clearly stands out. Everything, from Cole's scarred and troubled face to Zeke's overwhelming beer belly have been perfectly represented in a way that was just not present in the original.

The next point is powers. You start the game with the core powers of infamous 1 and build them up from there. But the way in which you build up your powers is extremely innovative and works well. For instance, to get a certain grenade or bolt power you may have to perform certain stunts such as blast five people off a roof at once, kill three people while hanging from a building etc. This makes you want to try out these stunts, which increases experimentation and encourages you to use your environment to your advantage. Also, the powers are much better this time around in that a) there are many more powers, b) these powers branch a lot more which c) depends on whether you are playing through it good/evil (and d) encourages a second play-through playing with the opposite karma)and e) these branches create new unique powers that have their own pros/cons and force you to use each power depending on the situation. This almost makes it strategic.

The last point I want to make is the story. I found that infamous 2's story was stronger than the first, and I LOVED the first game's story. The comic book style cutscenes have been retained, which is great. However, the point I wish to put across is that, depending your morality, the game will end in very different ways, which are DEFINITELY unexpected endings (even more so than the first!). This feels like a bonus to the player, rewarding him for buying the game.

In conclusion, I would recommend this game to anyone. However, what I would say is play the first game before, as the game assumes that you have played it. Also, you get bonuses if you have done so.

Infamous 2 is a rare breed. It is a sequel that expands and solidifies every aspect of its predecessor's gameplay, graphics and story, while making itself an excellent game in its own right. Like Uncharted, this game is essential to every ps3 owner. Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A super powered exercise in awesome., 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Out of the several reviews I've created for Amazon, all of which being positive, mainly because I never bother with bad games, I've never named a game one of my favourites of all time. The original Infamous, a game I never got round to reviewing, is definably one of my favourite games I've ever played. Its epic comic book plot accompanied by huge, unforgettable set pieces, like the prison raid or the fight with the dustmen leader on the Empire City Bridge and addictive gameplay ensured its spot in my top games ever list. It had its drawbacks of course, mainly ugly aesthetics, occasional glitches and an uninspired protagonist, but everything else made up for it.

So when looking at gameplay footage of its sequel, I was more than a little worried at the direction it was taking. First of all was the character redesign. All though I wasn't overly in love with the original game's hero, the young, hipster Nathan Drake lookalike fans were told to get used to didn't sit well with me. I'd went through an entire game playing as one character, and become (I'll admit) slightly connected to him only to come to the next with a completely different individual and expect to believe it was the same person. How could they ever expect to explain that away in the story? Another thing was some of the powers. The tornado like Ionic vortex looked like a lot of fun, but I feared for the game's difficulty. I understood Cole was a fully fledged super individual now, but would it tip the difficulty to much in my favour? I really shouldn't have doubted Sucker Punch. Infamous 2 could well be an improvement on its electrically charged predecessor. They made Cole look far more like the original's and as well as that, made an excellent difficulty balance between powerful and overpowered. This is mainly down to the roster of new super villains to combat (or conduits as the game calls them) and the sheer numbers the game throws at you. But the game's improvements go far beyond that.

The original Infamous told a comic book tale of super powered homeless people, a destroyed city and an Earth shattering realisation at its conclusion. Infamous 2, takes off two months after it concluded, with Cole preparing to travel to New Marais to train for his fight against demonic enemy The Beast. But before he can, his much prophesised enemy arrives and destroys the city, killing millions and leaving Cole broken and defeated. He, Zeke and a secret agent who told them about what Cole can find within New Marais travel to the city anyway, a mostly fully powered Cole now knowing he's no where near as strong as he could be. The opening fight against the Beast says it all about Infamous 2's style. Bigger is better. Cole rushes through crumbling, packed city streets with a skyscraper sized monster leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, only to try and melt its face off with an electrical storm that succeeds in slowing him down, but nothing else. The same electrical storm that could decimate entire armies in the original. Such set pieces are, thankfully a common sight throughout, with the most memorable imagery often being saved for big plot events. Like leading any army of cops against a mansion to save a friend, or trying to save the city from, well, you'll see... The story is both more epic, with a map on the pause screen showing how far way the Beast is from reaching the city and larger than life comic book baddies yet also more personal too. If you haven't played the original Infamous, I strongly recommend you do before starting this adventure, otherwise you won't know what is going on for the life of you. If you have, you'll know what I'm talking about here. Cole and Zeke are once again best friends, but their bond is a little weaker and there are a lot of sore subjects to be talked about, mainly the death of Cole's girlfriend Trish. Many people hated Zeke in the original but I had no problem with him. Now though, thanks to big writing improvements, he's far more likable and genuinely funny at times. The other characters also feel mature and believable, with characters often reacting realistically to the events transpiring around them. The game has a very `super heroes in the real word vibe'. There's prejudice against them, most people are frightened and never once does someone dress up in bright spandex. The only character I really have a problem with is Nix, the fiery young woman from the trailers you may recognise. Her only real job is to represent the game's evil choices and she does a pretty awful job. Sure, she has a dark, tragic background but she comes across as annoying, compulsive and obnoxious. Many of her plans (although several entertaining) range from creepy to overblown. These moral decisions are one of only a few complaints I have with the experience. They are, as many have stated, far too black and white, or should I say Blue and Red. They're colour coded and their often given by two characters. The before mentioned Nix and Kuo. Kuo is far more likable than Nix; she's realistically portrayed as a young woman who was subjected to long, torturous experiments to turn her into an ice conduit and is completely out of her depth, relying on Cole to help her. She also represents the good choices on the morale spectrum most of the time. Her plans often make a lot more sense and although at times less explosive, but feel right within the context of the world.

In terms of both story and gameplay, Sucker Punch seems to have looked at contemporary super hero movies. The cut scenes look gorgeous and well directed at the same time, with fabulous voice acting and animations. But the gameplay also has been made more cinematic. Melee combat with weapon the amp allows you to pull off slow motion finishers which let you flip over an opponent and hit them in the back, or leap into the air and unleash a field of electricity, knocking out multiple foes simultaneously. If you're too close to an explosion, time will pause for a split second as you're mid air, before jumping back to life at full speed. You become totally engrossed in the act of fighting. You'll zip along rail lines, leap off and start attacking with your amp, get caught off guard by a missile, get back up an hurl an electrical tornado at the street ahead, watching in awe as enemies, cars, lamp posts and even helicopters are sucked inside. This does bring me to my two other problems though. One is civilians. If you even hit a civilian once your karma takes a hit. In an epic battle against an ice hurling bad guy that leaps around at the speed of light, civilians get hurt, it happens. Even when you're fighting to protect people they'll get caught up in the brawl. The other is the camera, which can get a little erratic and wonky at points, but nothing that hurts the experience to much.

The game looks beautiful too. The drab, colourless visuals of the first Infamous are given life by blood reds, licks of blue and green and incredible vistas. I didn't come across any technical hiccups at all this time except for one incident (and I do mean one) were Cole sank through the ground and some how drowned. Meh. It feels like a true Sony exclusive, a game that shows the console's immense power whilst also offering something unique (like Heavy Rain, Uncharted and Flower etc). The writing is fabulous, as is becoming a Sony staple and there is limitless replay value. You can play two times through as a good or a bad Cole, find all the dead drops (this time on pigeons instead of satellite dishes) and once again find those hundreds of blast shards. There is also the user generated content. The game has barely came out so the community isn't booming yet, but its incredible depth approaches the likes of LBP. We'll just have to see how that goes.

Infamous 2 is more of its predecessor and then some. It's hugely addictive (thank god my exams are over for a while) tells a mature but interesting story with great a great cast and succeeds in making you feel like a true super hero, or villain. It's certainly a contender for GOTY and one of Sony's best exclusives.

If you liked or disliked the review, please comment!

5.0 out of 5 stars inFinitely better than it's predecessor, but is that enough to make it a great game, or does it fall short on expectations?, 20 Jun 2011
J. Mcdermott "cookaholic" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)

Sucker Punch builds on a hugely popular franchise in some ways, but goes in a completely different direction in others. It takes pieces from the first game, some which make the game better, but it also leaves behind some key aspects which made inFamous the great game that it was. So all things considered, do the changes, or lack of them make this a successful sequel? I think so.

The game opens with main protagonist, or antagonist depending on how you play the game, Cole McGrath bidding farewell to Empire City, the location of the first game. He is travelling to New Marais with his best friend Zeke and NSA Operative Lucy Kuo, in an attempt to acquire new powers, to take down The Beast. Just before they depart, The Beast reveals himself, giving us our first look at it, attacking Empire City. Feeling he owes something to the city, Cole returns to face the mysterious creature, and after an eagerly awaited battle between the two, Cole's powers are drained.

He gave it his all, blowing half of The Beast's face off, but it wasn't enough, as The Beast regenerated, and is now heading towards Cole, towards Empire City. Knowing The Beast has bet him once, Cole is determined to get stronger, but will he be able to wield enough power to destroy the colossal being? You'll have to find out for yourself, but don't worry, all this action takes place in the first 10 minutes of the game, so I haven't spoiled anything. Pretty good opener eh?

From there Cole travels around New Marais, collecting Blast Cores to give him new powers, thus making him stronger. All of this happens as the Beast is making his way down the coast, and you can see his progress any time you pause the game, a feature which I liked. inFamous 2 has much more powers available to use than the first game, which could get messy, but Sucker Punch combated this with an easy to access power menu. With the tap of a button you can change the powers available to Cole, to suit the many different situations you will find yourself in.

When I first picked up the game I will admit that I was nervous for a while, wondering if they had kept one of my favourite things about inFamous. I am of course talking about the cartoon cutscenes, and to my delight, I am able to tell you that they return in the sequel. I loved these cutscenes for many reasons. The tense music, creative art style, and narrative voice of Cole all mixed together made a unique atmosphere, one which i greatly appreciated. Whenever I had done something significant, I would place my controller down, get comfortable, and watch the brilliance unfold. I am glad to say that they are even better in inFamous 2, making the overall experience that bit more enjoyable.

Other features were brought from the first game, such as the side missions, and my favourite collectibles, blast shards. There are 3 types of side missions in the game, good, evil and neutral. The neutral ones can be carried out no matter what karma choice you take. However, if you play a good side mission, it's bad counterpart will be locked out, and vice versa. They put a unique twist into some of the missions, letting you team with Kuo or Nix, depending on which choice you make. This freshens things up and gives the player a chance to experience gameplay with one of the two. I feel that Kuo and Nix are excellent additions to the game, as they offer different powers, and have completely different attitudes on life. Kuo fields ice powers, and will plan every action around the safety of others. The extravagant Nix has fire powers, and will often act without any considerations for innocent people. These two completely different sidekicks if you will make cutscenes entertaining, and often you will have to choose sides. They embody the karma system, making choices more difficult, as most players will want to experience gameplay with both characters.

All of that said, side missions can often be repetitive, and may get boring as you will often be tasked with defeating a large group of enemies, or following someone back to a base. In small doses missions are fun, and they offer the player a chance to make an area enemy free, but there are just too many, and since they unlock powers, you might feel as if you have to do them all, which becomes a grind.

Earlier I mentioned blast shards, which are and I quote "highly charged pieces of earth" , found all over New Marais. As you collect them you will unlock more battery cores, making you even stronger. If you played the first game, you will know how difficult it was to find all 350 of them. inFamous 2 includes 305 collectible blast shards, which may seen a daunting task, but it will be significantly easier if you have completed all of the side missions. I don't want to spoil anything, so you can figure it out for yourself, but let me say this, it won't be a tough challenge to get them all.

Something which changes hugely from the original game is the design of Cole. Not only does he look different, he also sounds different. Is this a positive thing? Yes and no. I liked the appearance of the original Cole, and in general I don't like games changing the design of their characters, but they could have made him look much worse. However, I am a fan of how Cole sounds in the game, as he actually speaks with emotion, unlike the first game.

Someone else who has a whole lot of emotion is Zeke, the only returning character from inFamous, except Cole of course. I feel that his return is a positive thing, and he proves his worth straight away, by inventing the amp, Cole's newest weapon. The amp changes melee combat entirely, making it more interesting, as well as more effective, especially against the game's newest enemy, the Corrupted. These creatures were once citizens of New Marais, but have been mutated, and now dwell in the swamps. They come in many different forms, the most common of which being Swamp monsters. There is also the Ravager, Hive Lord, Devourer and Behemoth, which are bosses, and given their own health bar. At first they are a breath of fresh air, but after a while, fighting them will seem repetitive.

Another force Cole will face during the game is know as The Militia, lead by Joseph Bertrand III. The Militia is dedicated to the elimination of Conduits, and has taken over New Marais. Bertrand is one of my favourite characters in the game, and he is involved in many of the main plot twists. There is another group of enemies Cole will fight during the course of the game, but you will find that out for yourself half way through.

I wouldn't be reviewing the game properly if I didn't address the karma system, graphics and of course the gameplay. The game is looking better than ever, and how Sucker Punch made New Marais look is a credit to them. The gameplay is very much like the first one, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Cole is easy to control, and after a few minutes with the game you will be flying over the streets of New Marais, knowing you have mastered the controls. Cole handles excellently, and you can feel his strength throughout the game.

Finally, the karma system, one of the main selling points of the game. This system will drastically change how the game is played, from simple choices to stopping a mugging or not, to huge game changing decisions. If you choose to play the hero, your powers will be blue, but if you choose to play through the game as the bad guy, your powers will be red. The game has two very different endings based on karma, giving you every reason to play through the game again, making different decisions, and getting a different experience.
This gives the game huge replay value, as to see everything you must play through at least two time.

All in all I think inFamous 2 takes an excellent game, and for the most part improves it. Due to this I feel that inFamous 2 is a must have for any Playstation 3 owner, and is one of the strongest games of the year.

Conor Leen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
One of the best games I've owned on PlayStation and should be an essential for all gamers, I've never regretted buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
One of the best games I have ever played. if you are a fan of action or open world games, this is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
My son has played this lots and keeps going back to it. He reckons its the best game he has for ps 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars InFamous is back, 10 Sep 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Another triple A title, yet another sequel but I just cannot bring myself to dislike the InFamous series which I'm hoping will run and run as long as the developers keep releasing a quality product.
I really enjoyed the first game and this to be fair is pretty much more of the same with a more streamlined story and more powers that are available to be developed and upgraded.
It is an entertaining super/anti hero romp depending on the direction that you wish to take Cole in and is filled with genuine laughs and a couple of weepy bits for the more sensitive gamer.
The only fault that registered while I was playing this game is that it feels emptier than the first game as I remember a lot more to do in the way of missions and the like. What this game lacks in missions it unfortunately does not make up for in variety as the missions do follow a few strict paths mainly collecting shards or beating some poor sap up to get shards. Even with the addition of user generated content this still feels quite under utilised as a game area as so much more could have been crammed in.
However I still rate this game as one of the better titles to be released on this generation of machines simply because it has that vital ingredient which is missing from a lot of games ... fun! If you can't enjoy being a super powered everyman then there is no hope for you frankly.
The game area is immense and detailed from the swamp areas to the mainland and as such results in different tactics that need to be learnt and developed to deal with your enemies. I can honestly say at no stage of this game was I bored or frustrated as it is actually quite easy to get to grips with.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 premier title, 7 Aug 2012
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Really hard to fault this game, it excels in every area. Enjoyed it from the moment I stuck it in the console, to the moment I platinum-ed it...

The game is off-line, but there are online DLC missions in the game to play too.

If you have yet to play this, then you have missed out. If you don't have a PS3 yet (why not?), then this game is surely one more reason to get one.

4.0 out of 5 stars If it aint broke...., 9 April 2012
Stevie G "Stevie G" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Thankfully Sucker Punch responded to the overwhelming criticism of their lead redesign. Cole is now immediately recognisable, instead of the ghastly Nathan Drake clone that featured in early trailers. However, they couldn't resist the urge to tinker; Cole's voice actor has been changed, and brings absolutely nothing new.

InFamous 2 makes no allowances for those who havent played the first game. Actually the story may be lost on those who haven't played it recently. Whilst this could be labelled as a criticism, it's actually refreshing to find a game that caters to its fanbase, and not the lowest common denominator. The Beast was introduced and its arrival was prophesised towards the end of the first game, and infamous 2 focuses on this fascinating enemy. It ravages Empire City, and despite Cole's best efforts, he proves no match for the city destroying behemoth. Fleeing to New Marais with old buddy Zeke and FBI Agent Kuo, Cole must find a way to unlock his potential and protect the world from its newest threat. New Marais makes for a great open world, and is nicely modelled on New Orleans. However, the storyline struggles to match the frantic pace of the original, instead relying on past events far more than any new storylines or situations. Because the main plot developments are centred on past events, it can feel like an awkward fit.

Cole has some fantastic new abilities. Personally my favourite is the Ionic Vortex, where a black hole can be summoned to decimate enemies. The ability to pick up and hurl cars never gets boring. And a Spiderman-like ability is incredibly fun. Powers can be purchased when the relevant stunt criteria has been met. The sequel integrates the stunt list with abilities, creating an incentive to explore and test out Coles varied move set. Like the original, blast shards can be collected to increase Coles total electricity storage, and dead drops are again located around the world, but instead of finding satellite dishes, Cole must find and disable carrier birds with messages strapped to them. The karma mechanic has received an injection of personality in the form of Kuo and Nix, which makes the impact of Cole's decisions more personal and immediate.

A new feature is user generated content (UGC) which allows gamers to create missions or set pieces that can be shared, and played by others. However, the majority of user created levels are overwhelmingly poor and lazy. LittleBigPlanet this is not. Hopefully the quality will improve over time, but this addition feels impossible to recommend. Luckily the option can be turned off within the mission filters if you can't face another turkey shoot or poorly designed checkpoint race.

Overall, infamous 2 is a solid sequel. It very much follows the `if it aint broke, don't fix it' mentality, but continues to be one of PS3's greatest, and most enjoyable franchises.

ARRAY(0xaa89d768)

inFAMOUS 2 (PS3)
inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) by Sony (PlayStation 3)