5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed
Having been disappointed with the inbuilt iPhone 4 alarm app and wanting a slightly more visually appealing solution than leaving the charger cable draped over my bedside table I decided to get an alarm dock. Having just unpacked and set up my Gear4 Reveal I've very impressed with it.

Published on 25 Nov 2010 by Gadget

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely designed
It's smaller than I expected, a really nice looking design. Fairly easy to program and has reasonable sound quality considering its compact size. We bought it on the claims that it wasn't like having a light on in the room at night. And to be fair the warm orange display is excellent, bright enough to be easily read, but no 'room illumination'.

However don't be...
Published on 8 Nov 2011 by P. Whiteley

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 25 Nov 2010
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)

The clock display can be configured in 12h or 24h format and is dimmable with three settings, none of which are overly bright (it isn't however possible to completely turn off the clock display). That, combined with the small display is ideal for me, as it sits on my bedside table and a brighter/larger display would keep me awake at night. It might not be the best option if you need to see the time from the other side of a room.

Although not listed as being compatible, it is compatible with the iPhone 4. When trawling the selection at the local Currys I tried a lot of docks and some other makes and models threw up an error message on the phone, this one didn't. Another reason for some hands-on testing prior to purchase was to see if the phone can be docked while in a case - the answer is yes, it can. I use a Piel Frama leather case and without using a dock insert the iphone & case fit perfectly and charging/playback both function as intended.

You can configure two different timed alarms and opt for either an alarm buzzer, radio playback or ipod playback. The buzzer is a bit harsh, but the volume of the chosen audio source can be adjusted individually for each alarm. The whole of the upper front of the unit acts as a sleep button which is easy to locate when bleary eyed, although to disable the alarm completely requires a press of the smaller Power button.

Setting the alarms and tuning the radio are not exactly intuitive, but easy enough after a quick check of the manual. Sadly the radio is a standard AM/FM unit, not DAB, so has a limited lifespan (why are all the DAB units so massive? Would be great if Gear4 came out with a DAB set in the same size as this unit.) You can configure 5 preset stations, however there is only 1 button to cycle through the presets, so you can't easily jump from 5 to 4 without going 5,1,2,3,4.

It has a backup battery (coin type CR2025) which maintains the time, alarm settings and radio presets if you disconnect the power. Not had a chance to test if that will still trigger the alarm without mains power, although I'd assume not as the display isn't powered.

It's an attractive rounded cube and although I'm not a big fan of the current obsession with gloss black units, it looks good (would look much nicer in a matte finish). I'd advise investing in some anti-static foam cleaner as past experience with a gloss black Wii has shown that they're dust-magnets!

Overall a really nice bit of equipment that fits my needs perfectly. Very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound! Works great with Ipod Touch 4g!, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
I bought this a few weeks ago and I'm very impressed with the sound quality. My sister bought a similar Ipod Alarm Dock (different make) at the same price, but the sound from mine is much better! The radio quality is also very good.
I use mine with my Ipod Touch 4th Generation and was a little confused by the box which said it was compatible with Ipod Touch 2nd Generation. Mine works fine so I think it is only a matter of the box is out of date.
The 4 dock adapters that come with it don't fit with my Ipod Touch 4G so I rang up Gear4 and they were happy to supply me with the suitable adapter.
Very happy customer! Excellent product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, good value, nice small footprint., 18 Mar 2011
Sensible Cat (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
This little unit meets all my needs. I'm not very technical so I just wanted some way to tell the time quickly in the middle of the night, and a straightforward place to charge my iPhone. Two things I really like about this - first it has a small footprint, making it ideal for crowded bedside tables. Second, it's very adaptable. I've been able to charge both my phone and my nano with no problems at all.

The sound quality is adequate and it looks attractive. My only niggle is that I find the reset buttons for the clock a bit awkward to use - they don't seem very responsive. But overall, a nice straightforward device at a reasonable price. In fact, I'm about to get a second one for my ironing corner downstairs so I can finally catch up on all those podcasts I keep meaning to listen to. Given the price Apple charge for their charging units, it's almost worth picking up for that function alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pressie!, 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
Bought this for my son in law for Christmas and he is delighted with it, the sound is really good, charges up his iphone and is just the right size for the bedside table. Not such a bad Mother in Law after all!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice iPod Dock, Little lacking as Alarm Clock, 23 Oct 2010
Mr. C. J. Thorpe "Lastaria" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Upon opening this I found a very neat, compact looking AlarmDock. It is pleasing to the eye and looks very durable. It has eloquent curves using shiny black plastic at the top and a speaker around the sides and base.

The buttons upon are nicely made and it has an easy to use large slide click for the alarm.

The plug comes with adaptors for the UK or EU and once turned on the clock is revealed with an orange display.

Though the clock fits in with the aesthetics very nicely I could not help feeling the display was a little on the small side. It is fine if it is right next to you on the bed, however if you want to look at the time from the other side of the room I feel people with some vision impairment might have difficulties.

Setting the time, alarm and radio frequencies are easy enough, however if you pause in the middle of doing for anywhere over 15 seconds it loses what you were setting and returns to the clock. This is a little frustrating when setting whilst reading the manual but it is a minor inconvenience and once you have read the instructions you are not likely to forgot how to set it with its easy to use nature so it should not be a recurring problem.

I guess my biggest issue with this is when it comes to the radio. For the amount you are paying it surely should be a DAB radio. I live in an area with a lot of building around me that cause a great deal of interference and so when using FM I always have a crackly effect no matter how I position the aerial. We are moving into the digital age and DAB radio is the future and in a few years we wont even be able to get FM anymore rendering the radio part of this alarm clock useless. My preferred way of waking up is to BBC Radio 4 and using this device will leave me waking to a poor quality signal which is less ideal. In the past I have bought a Tecknika DAB radio Alarm clock for under half the price of this which has a perfect clear signal and larger clock display. I feel a device twice the price should include DAB.

What wins this over for me is the sound quality. I use an iPhone and using one of the four moulded dock adaptors to my iPhone fitted snugly into the top of this AlarmDock.

It is easy to flip into the the iPod mode and once you are playing a piece of music you can really appreciate the sound quality on a device so small and compact. It is also an easy way to charge your iPhone/iPod so this is a really winning feature for me. The buttons on the device help you navigate your music library reasonably well if you are happy to just scroll back and forth between your songs, however it is not ideal if you want to access your iPod's menu without touching the iPod itself. My only issue with this side of it is it did not come with a remote control, once again something that came with the half the price Technika I bought in the past.

If I were rating this simply as a radio alarm clock I would probably only give it three stars. The small clock display and with it only using FM means it leaves a lot to desire as this function. However it's use simply as an iPod dock and for playing your music boosts it's rating up to four stars and if you are only looking for a device to do this the Gear4 is up to the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly, 23 Oct 2010
Paul (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really pleased with this compact, well built unit.

My wife purchased a small unit for her iPod Classic some years back; Although I remember it costing 60 at the time (which was one of the more 'reasonably priced' units available back then), I also felt that the sound quality was at best average, despite several good reviews on Amazon.

I'm pleased to say that the sound from this unit is well beyond what I expected for such a small device.

Anyway, first things first. The unit arrived well packaged along with plug adaptors for both the UK and EU. In addition, there are no less than four plastic iPod conncector adaptors - one each for Classic, Touch, Nano and iPhone. Finally, there is a power lead. You insert the plastic adaptor for your type of iPod, plug the power cable into the wall and you're off.

It's worth pointing out that the packaging describes the unit as being compatible with various types of iPod, but interestingly iPod Touch up to Generation #2 - I'm unsure as to whether this means the packaging is out of date or that the unit genuinely doesn't work with iPod Touch generations #3 & #4. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this as my own iPod Touch is gen #1.

Anyway, after a quick glimpse through the manual, I'd learned how to set the clock, program the 5 FM radio stations and felt completely comfortable with the controls.

The sound is excellent for the price level. The unit feels solid and well constructed. It would also be a perfect choice if you have limited room at your bedside.

A minor niggle for me is the rather small time display, meaning that you have to be quite close to the unit to read it - unless your eyesight is particularly good. However, the alarm really is a bonus - if you're looking for a compact, good sounding unit for your iPod then look no further. It's probably worth checking on Gear4's website though regarding compatibility, particularly if you've only recently purchased your iPod and it's a 3rd or 4th generation model - or indeed one of the new iPhones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Worth 5 Stars, 6 April 2012
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
Bought this item to replace a clock radio I had that had a CD feature which was far too big. This is a lovely small size & fits nicely on my bedside table. The sound quality when playing my ipod touch is great. The only downside is that the alarm is a bit tricky to set up when you need to change it. The clock has 3 brightness levels but even the brightest is not overpowering. My old clock also used to hum but this does not, which was a big plus for me. Definately worth 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 2 May 2011
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
Way better than I was expecting, sounds brilliant and cannot recommend highly enough. Yes the display is a tad on the small side, but my eyesight isn't exactly eagle-like and I have no problems with it. Charges my iPhone 3gs and Classic iPod without problems and if you need a radio/iPod/alarm clock, then don't hesitate, just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, nice and practical: perfect!, 21 April 2012
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
This radio alarm with dock is great!
Small, what I wanted for my small bedside table.
Sound is really nice and crisp. I do not listen to it loudly, I have my JBL big speaker for the sitting room. But this is perfect for an average bedroom.
It is really practical with the option to wake up listening to the radio, iPod/iPhone or alarm.
The dimmer option is good too, as I like it dark when I sleep.
And the battery protection in case of electricity failure is good as well.
I am so happy I found this little wonder here in amazon! I had been looking for something exactly like this for ages. I recommend it to everyone. And amazon was fast and safe, as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy!, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal (Electronics)
A fab buy, so much so we bought two! Docking station means charging my iPhone is really easy, and the alarm works with and without the iPhone on the dock. Easy to set up and use, compact and not an eyesore!

GEAR4 PG487 AlarmDock Reveal