5.0 out of 5 stars The inspiration of 'Stand and Deliver'
Published on 25 Sep 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down
Published on 13 Aug 2009 by D. Burgess

5.0 out of 5 stars The inspiration of 'Stand and Deliver', 25 Sep 2003
By A Customer
Although the film is mainly concerned with a group of Hispanic students, I believe that this film is an inspiration to anyone who has ever found mathematics difficult. It encouraged me to obtain an 'A' Level in Mathematics with a good grade. Perhaps it is wrong to confine the inspirational nature of the film to mathematics alone. Regardless of the particular field, I believe that the film shows that, with hard work and dedication, people can achieve more than they often believe to be possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Films, 14 Jan 2010
W. Fitzpatrick "bridge builder" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This is one of my favorite films. I saw it on TV a few years ago and immediately went out to get the VHS. I am now upgrading my frequently watched copy to DVD.

The film is about catching and focussing the attention of children from difficult backgrounds and teaching them about commitment and learning. I am biased because the subject is maths but the film is an inspiration for all learning. I will continue to watch this film on a regular basis because it gives me a lift every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 11 Aug 2006
This is one of my favourite films. It is a story of triumph in the face of adversity. Many people find mathematics difficult. However, these students from difficult backgrounds are able to master the subject. The viewer is encouraged to feel as though he can overcome his difficulties. It is a powerful testament to the importance of good teaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film for motivating students, 22 Dec 2013
Heather Scott - See all my reviews
I bought this film to play for my maths students at the end of term. I played approx 10 minutes at the end of each lesson and then finished the film in the last lesson of term. It gave them something to think about knowing this was a true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars All teachers and prospective teachers should watch this., 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Stand & Deliver [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
This is my 3rd copy of this film over the past ten years. I lend it out and don't get it back but it is a great film if you are a teacher and especially if you are a maths teacher. Anyway, good entertaining story, and lead actor very engaging. To quote from the film, 'true story'. And I have lent this copy out already, wonder if I will get this one back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think you're a teacher ? watch this film., 21 Jun 2013
Invaluable insight into what it truly takes to be a real teacher. A 'must have' for anyone entering the profession, and for those who have been there for most of their lives... watch it, digest it, and learn. The only drawback with this version, since it is aimed at the domestic market, is that quite a few scenes from the original film are not shown. However, this does not detract from the message. Every teacher, and indeed every parent should have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great true story!, 30 Mar 2013
Great movie ! This is an example of a fantastic teacher who relly cares for his students. Inspiring and a worthwhile view specially for the young people. Inspiring and fantastic true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film!, 13 Feb 2011
This film inspires me every time I see it! I was pleased to get a version that is formatted for region 2 as I teach English in Germany and sometimes have trouble getting American films that will play on a German system.

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down, 13 Aug 2009
D. Burgess (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
I havent quite watched this to the end yet. I ordered it becasue I am a teacher and got some stuff from Tom Daly on turning your most disruptive child into your best pupil with this are some movie notes and this was one of the movies. Toms stuff is excellent and I trusted his judgement. Also Tony Robbins sings the praises of this teacher who inspires his pupils. From what I have seen this guy would not have inspired me. He does not deal with his pupils in the way I expected at all. The movis seems dated and does not grip me. Pupils today even in Junior can be harder to deal with than these high school kids who are obviuosly just acting. It is not vivid, real and passionate for me.

ARRAY(0xae9402a0)