on 10 September 2013
I love this dvd and have owned it for a couple of years and still regularly dig it out as a refresher as its great for showing you they basics you need to know e.g shaping techniques and kneading techniques and includes some great recipes it also puts me in the mood to bake if I start getting lazy and buying from my local shop (I try to just make my own if possible) the only (incredibly) annoying thing is that whilst watching them quickly kneading etc you can't rewind to see it again (!) it takes you to a different chapter! aaagh! despite this the dvd is so helpful I would give it 5 stars and probably even buy it if they reissued it with out this annoyance! if my review was helpfull please click below
on 20 August 2010
Yet another River Cottage DVD...and in this one you get top tips on both Bread & Baking with his friend Gill.
I have read quite a few passages in books on bread making...some I've found very good and others slightly confused and yet this DVD takes you through this step by step...and actually goes with the River Cottage Handbook on Bread.
A lot of people criticise Hugh and what he does...but a lot of us actually realise that even by doing little changes in our life we can simply improve it by knowing more about what we eat and where it comes from and baking your own bread or anything else to do with baking is a step forward instead of just going to the supermarket and picking your items up off the shelf...
Thus we don't all have to move to Devon or likewise areas and become a country person...we can do the little changes right in our homes...
on 11 October 2010
I highly recommend this DVD. I have the accompanying book, which is very detailed and sometimes a bit confusing. The DVD makes some of the techniques (shaping etc) very clear and well worth the extra expense. I started making basic loaves a few months ago and we haven't had to resort to shop bought bread so far. It's quick to do and very enjoyable. Now I plan on branching out a bit after watching this DVD!
on 14 October 2010
It has always been a cooking goal of mine to make a perfect and healthy loaf from scratch. And I have done it! The DVD is easy to follow, shows the basics - a great start.

The only gripe I have is that you cannot fast forward the scenes. You have to keep going back to the main menu.
on 3 October 2011
This dvd follows many of the other River Cottage dvds in style. A decent introduction, then some recipes. Most of it is presented by River Cottage staff, rather then Hugh. It is a good companion for the bread handbook if you want to see some of the techniques used.

I've only watched a couple of the recipes through all the way so far, and whilst the filming is fine, the editing and printed recipes are poor. For brioche, the lady says eight eggs quite quickly, it is easy to miss. Then the eggs do not appear on the ingredients list! So you could easily miss them out or forget them for your shopping list if you rely on the ingredients list. I think this is quite poor, it is a shame that production companies do not check their productions properly before selling them.
on 19 February 2013
I have never been able to make a decent loaf of bread until I got the River Cottage Bread DVD.
I could stop it step by step and I learnt how to knead properly. I now make awesome bread that is superior to store brought.
on 23 January 2014
If you ever felt like making your own bread this DVD covers it all and watching the technique is much easier to understand than trying to follow it in a book. A good range of recipes included at the end.
on 24 April 2012
This video was well written and demonstrated simply the art of making various breads.The part I especially liked was the use to which bread leftovers could be used and as I am keen to make my own sourdough it was very informative.
on 26 February 2014
Got this along with the bread handbook and have watched it several times and tried many of the various recipes out. Sometimes it is just nice to watch things than to read about it in a book. As with most of the River cottage DVD collections, a lot of the recipes and bits are directly from the various shows that have been broadcast on TV, but also other bits are filmed exclusively for the DVD.
on 6 September 2013
Really concise and clearly written. Tips that make bread making a sheer joy. Will never buy bread again. Got the video to go with the book as well and it adds little tips that can't be expressed in print. kind of like the little tricks gran would give when she cooked