5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought it twice!
I needed a Freeview Receiver which I could use on a TV with no scart sockets and this neat little receiver is ideal. My old and very small kitchen TV has no scart socket so I was delighted to find the Icecrypt T5000 incorporated an RF modulator and I didn't need to buy the modulator and a Freeview receiver separately.
This receiver is easy to install, easy to...
Published on 19 Jun. 2011 by Maximus DIY

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for Scart TVs - not so brilliant for others
We have two old TVs that we don't want to part with after digital switchover so having looked around for a modestly-priced digibox, - ta dah, we chose this one. It looks great on the TV that DOES have a scart socket but it is pretty useless just using the RF socket for the late 70s TV from the pre-scart days.
The problem is 'screen freezing,' often several times an...
Published on 3 Feb. 2012 by JOHN C POWNCEBY

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought it twice!, 19 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Icecrypt T5000 Freeview Receiver with Twin SCART and RF Modulator (Electronics)
This receiver is easy to install, easy to operate and has all the features you would hope for and the price is really great. The remote control unit is neatly laid out with all the features you need.

What's not to like about the Icecrypt? I liked it so much I also bought one for my friend's elderly spare TV!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and No Annoying Hum, 14 July 2011
I ordered this yesterday after reading the earlier reviews. It arrived this afternoon and within 30 minutes, I had everything set up.

My TV set is an old portable Matsui (circa 1989), which I love to bits as it has a timer and I use it as my alarm clock. I wake up to BBC1 News... wonderful... no irritating, whooping presenters, just the news... If something is fit for purpose and reliable, I am reluctant to replace stuff for the sake of "newness", but my old faithful Matsui does not have a Scart socket, hence there is a limited choice of digital receiver options on the market.

So far, I've made three previous unsuccessful attempts to receive the digital channels:

1) A Digilogic Free To View. No Timer. Annoying Hum... either On or on Standby. No way of turning it off remotely!
2) A modulator. Annoying Hum. No On or Off... Just On 24/7!
3) Sky Link. Could not get this to work.. something to do with Coaxial cables... and interference from the amplified aerial in the loft and three foot thick walls that cannot be drilled for various reasons...

The Icecrypt is brilliant... I struggled a bit when I switched it on for the first time as the manual tells you to follow the on screen menu, which did not automatically appear. I telephoned the support number, which was answered very quickly and a very helpful gentleman explained I needed to manually tune my TV on a free channel until I saw the Icecrypt set up menu. He insisted on waiting until I had set everything up.

I can now receive over 48 channels instead of 5 (you can also group your favourites), and about 24 radio stations. There is also Teletext, a sleep timer so I can still use "Old Matsui" as an alarm clock, program timer x 8, three games - Tetris, Snake and Othello for those nights when you just can't sleep and best of all - NO ANNOYING HUM!

The Icecrypt is excellent value for money and I recommend you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference, 22 Aug. 2011
Bought this box for our 25 year old 14 inch crt telly in the kitchen. This was the only box I could find that could cope with no scart sockets on the telly and at the price, I was a little dubious.

However, not to worry - it is a brilliant box, so easy to install and gets the whole range of Freeview channels ( unlike the one in the bedroom, with scarts which has somehow missed most of them) and has given our old Fidelity a new lease of life - never had such good pictures. Here's to another 25 years. Highly recommended if you just need a basic Freeview box, rather than a recorder.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for Scart TVs - not so brilliant for others, 3 Feb. 2012
The problem is 'screen freezing,' often several times an hour and the only way to kick-start it back up again is to switch off at the mains and switch on again. It goes without saying that this procedure is a waste of time and effort. It's simply unacceptable.
We're in an area of good reception, the aerial is new and we even have an internal amplifier on it so goodness knows why this happens.
OK, we use it on the scart TV so no dosh has been wasted. Oh and the EPG guide is rudimetary, only providing a few words of description on only a few channels.
Objectively, yeh, you're right, it's a bit of a let-down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Icecrypt T5000, 5 Aug. 2011
Excellent bit of kit but the instruction book could be better so I've only given 4 stars. For example, the book does not tell you that pressing info three times gets you to a lot of technical data about the channel you are on and shows the signal strength and quality which is very useful for resolving aerial and interference issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple digital TV solution, 8 Mar. 2012
Dr. Michael J. Atkins (UK) - See all my reviews
I did not want to get rid of my excellent but old Sony TV. My analogue signal was just switched off. This little box was the perfect answer. It connects in series between the coaxial wall (aerial) socket and your coaxial TV aerial input. Connect to mains. then switch on and autotune (you may need to engage channel 38 on the TV to see the startup menu). You will need an extra coaxial lead. If you are not sure about the ends of your extra lead you will need, buy an additional a male to male and also a male to female coaxial converter (they are cheap).

IMPORTANT NOTE - not all freeview boxes will give a coaxial digital signal out to yout old TV. You MUST have an RF modulator output on the box (like this one has).

4.0 out of 5 stars Icecrypt T5000, 19 Jun. 2011
Very good product, simple to set up and easy to use. Well worth the price compared with other set top boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freeview receiver, 18 July 2011
I received this item very quickly and it worked straight out of the box. It detected available channels and stored them for future use. This enabled me to keep using a television with a good picture but no scart socket. I am within sight of the transmitter and did not need a fixed arial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freeview Reveiw!, 20 Oct. 2011
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago after reading favourable reviews,and i am not dissapointed in any way .It was great value and so easy to set up(even for an old fart like myself).So it does exactly what it says on the tin.All in all i would recommend to anyone who is after one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Icecrypt T5000 Freeview Receiver., 25 Oct. 2011
For anybody with a very old television without a SCART socket this is the answer for going digital. To be honest I wondered whether or not it would work but to my delight it does exactly what it said it would. Not wishing to have to lash out and buy expensive up to date digital televisions this allows me to continue my viewing with old equipment that I enjoy. It's extremely good value.