4.0 out of 5 stars A series growing up
First Sentence: "I feel bad that I'm leaving you like this," Amelia said.

The Fae War is over and Sookie is recovering from her injuries. In spite of the door to the Fae World being closed, it seems not all the faeries have left. Her cousin, Claude, has decided to move in with her, she suspects her great-uncle Dermot may still be around and, perhaps, one...
Published on 31 May 2010 by L. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam
I have had a very up and down relationship with this series and it's on a down again with this book. It's a shame that a series with such promise and which still has real potential for exciting books, is slowly running out of steam.

Sookie and Eric are pretty loved up and both getting used to the idea that they are married in vampire style and that they feel...
Published on 9 Jan. 2011 by daisyduck1976

‹ Previous | 119 20 2124 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK BUT WEIRD COVER????, 17 Jun. 2010
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it was read within 24 hours. It was a satisfying read as we learned more about emotions in this book, alot more steady and plodding than the other books, not so much jumping from one chaotic fight and disaster to another. The relationship between Sookie and Eric seems to be developing nicely - its not just about the sex anymore so it seems a much more rounded relationship.

Some of the more annoying characters like Debbie Pelt and Bubba were thankfully very much in the background of this story. Sam didnt feature nearly as much as i would have liked but hey, its not my story to tell.

What really is my gripe about this book is the cover. What is Laffeyette doing on the cover - the guy died in the the first book for gods sake. Jessica doesnt even exist in the books and Tara is a totally different character in the books. Why is Sookie with Bill on the cover when she hasnt been with him since like book 3 or 4???? Why is Eric having to look on at his girlfriend - surely the roles of Bill and Eric should be reversed on the cover??? None of it makes sense from the books point of view - just a very sad sell out to the show. I absolutely love the show but it should not be crossing over to influence the books but surely only the other way round?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Dec. 2014
love these books very additive

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read for fans of The sookie Stackhouse Novels, 14 Jun. 2010
R. E. Harper "Vampire Lover" (England) - See all my reviews
For those of you who are like me and had been waiting for this book for quite some time than you will not be dissapointed. This book is every bit as well written as the previous books in the series. To be honest reading this book reminded me how much I love this series and it was like welcoming back an old friend when I began reading it. As the story unfolds we learn even more about Sookie's family and also Eric's family suprisingly enough which I found very interesting indeed and yet somewhat disturbing...I won't spoil anything for you but if you found it rather intresting that Elvis popped up in some of the previous books than you might find it somewhat distrubing at which famous person pops up in this one. I would recomend this series to anyone who is interested in a good vampire story particulalry if you have read The vampire diaries and The twilight saga and are now longing for more but be warned it is not for the prudish lol. All thats left for me to say is that I hope Charlene Harris is already well in to writting the 11th book!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new dimension to the Southern Vampire Series, 13 Jun. 2010
Wobette (The Wild West) - See all my reviews
Charlaine Harris takes a chance with this novel by moving away from what is a very common formula for Sookie - for once her love life is settled, so is Jason's and the usual line of supe's and human's waiting to kill her is lacking...

But this chance works, we see Sookie loving, hating, fearing and growing stronger in her gifts and the role she plays in her community and her family. This results in her playing a role in Eric's affairs, the politics of the local were pack and becomming a matriarch to both the human and fae sides of her family as her Gran once was.

There are some very funny moments and some very touching moments, all well written in some of the best prose that I feel Ms Harris has every penned down.

Don't be dissappointed with the lack of OTT sex and violence - this is about Sookie Stackhouse the part Fae Human and how she fits into a world of every expanding weirdness and gives hints of a number of things - human, were, vampire and fae that could be coming next

And as always the last chapter leaves you want more

5.0 out of 5 stars more of the same, 14 Jun. 2010
As there has been a fair mix of reviews on this review i thoguht i would provide mine also because i read reviews before reading the book and it put me off slightly.

Well thank goodness i went ahead and read it anyway, it stays true to form, this is a fabulous read. Yes it is less action packed than before btu i wouldnt say it lacked it tot he pint it was off putting.

I also liked the fact that sookie is changing, its took a while but all the events in her life had to take its toll eventually and now she looks at things a little differently. its not a bad thing that she is toughening up a little, it makes her more relatable as a character. more true to life.

Also its kind of obvious that you cant read this book without reading the rest, to me thats an obvious one. i even found the transition hard and got a bit confused, maybe its because its been so long since i read the last one.

DO NOT LIKE the cover art one bit, why is it characters from the TV series when some of them arent even in the book, it makes no sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars "holes" in Dead in the Family, 23 July 2010
Dead in the Family continues to be a Sookie Stackhouse novel from the begin to the end. I have all the other books of this novel and Charlaine Harris knows how to write a book where serious matters, funny stuff, fantasy/fantastic creatures and sex are all very well mix up and balanced. But in this, let's call chapter of Sookie life, for the first time I needed to reassure that I didn't miss any book in between. All the data they give to you is from a recent past that was not told in any of the other books and I think it is a shame because I felt kind of lost. And also the relation between Sookie and Eric is now presented like a normal couple of two humans that the man, let's say, work during day until late and can only be with his family at night (I don't want to spoil any reading). He is too sweet! It seems we lost Eric character in between the story that is talked about but not described. It continues to be a great book, but comparing with all the others, if I had to draw a chart, this would be the first decreasing bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Dead in the Family: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
Sookie - what's not to love!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Trueblood novel not for beginners, 24 Jun. 2010
As a dedicated fan of the Sookie Stackhouse/True blood saga I personally loved this novel & couldn't wait for it to come out (had it on back order since Jan!) I also devoured within a couple of days. So my only criticism is that it wasn't long enough & we now have to wait perhaps a whole year for the next instalment!! Newbie's to True blood be warned DO NOT START WITH THIS BOOK start from the very beginning of the series and you are going to be hooked. The story line wasn't as in depth as some of the others and lots of loose ends left daggling, but I have given it 5stars because I love the series. I disagree with other reviewers that Sookies lost some of her appeal & the story doesn't take you anywhere. Apart from that theirs not enough Eric and Bill in it, it's a great story if your familiar with Bon Temps. I'd love to see a real love triangle in the next book. Anyway a great must read for fans and a no no till you've read the other nine to non members of the Bon Temps fan club.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Sept. 2010
Dimmi Khan (London, England) - See all my reviews
Charlaine at her best. If you love the other books you'll love this one too. On the money totally!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Approaching the shark, 14 July 2010
Oh dear. I used to love the Sookie series so much but, with each additional book, the series appears to be nearing the "Jumping The Shark" moment.

With this one the main problem is a lack of any single plot. There are multiple plotlets, multiple updates on all the running plots, but nothing that makes this a book rather than a filler. Disconcertingly what also runs through this book is a list of people who Sookie wishes dead. I know she can't still be the little innocent we met back in book 1 but really, she's starting to be someone I don't wish to know any more.

So, all in all, an essential buy for us Sooke fans but far from the best and an ominous pointer to a steady decline in quality.

‹ Previous | 119 20 2124 | Next ›