4.0 out of 5 stars A series growing up
First Sentence: "I feel bad that I'm leaving you like this," Amelia said.

Published on 31 May 2010 by L. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam
I have had a very up and down relationship with this series and it's on a down again with this book. It's a shame that a series with such promise and which still has real potential for exciting books, is slowly running out of steam.

Published on 9 Jan. 2011 by daisyduck1976

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Dead in the Family: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse Book 10) (Kindle Edition)

Sookie and Eric are pretty loved up and both getting used to the idea that they are married in vampire style and that they feel each other so strongly through the blood bond. Sookie has some problems; Claude has decided to move in, there are 2 dead bodies on her property and an unknown member of the fae has been scented nearby. Eric is having some difficulties too with the aftermath of Sophie-Anne's death and the arrival of his maker.

The good stuff:
* all the Eric and Sookie scenes are highlights. Their relationship is well-written and easy to engage in.
* Charlaine Harris has stopped describing everyone's clothing in lengthy detail- hurrah!
* Hunter is back and the part of the book where he features is good fun although it adds nothing to the plot.
* Claude finds his human side- good times :)
* Octavia and Amelia are gone. Phew!

The problems with this book:
* Nothing, and I mean nothing, of any interest happens until exactly half-way through the book. Then it really picks up enough to hold your interest.
* The impending threat of the mysterious fairy out to get Sookie doesn't seem very threatening and she doesn't seem very scared.
* Sookie is getting more and more snarky and mean as the books go on. What has happened to her? She's becoming difficult to like.

I think part of the problem is True Blood. Alan Ball is doing such a good job of beefing up the characters and the storylines that the books are starting to be a let down now. The True Blood version of Eric's maker, Godric, was far more interesting than what Charlaine Harris has done with Appius in this book for one example.

So- I would say that if you have read all the others, pick this one up too. Just don't expect to be wowed and thrilled by it, because it doesn't have much going on and it's not very exciting.

NB//The Kindle edition has a few errors but nothing major.

4.0 out of 5 stars A series growing up, 31 May 2010
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First Sentence: "I feel bad that I'm leaving you like this," Amelia said.

The Fae War is over and Sookie is recovering from her injuries. In spite of the door to the Fae World being closed, it seems not all the faeries have left. Her cousin, Claude, has decided to move in with her, she suspects her great-uncle Dermot may still be around and, perhaps, one other. Sookie's vampire lover, Eric, is also still recovering. Although he is pleased when his "maker" appears, Sookie isn't happy particularly with vampire child of Russian nobility who is with him.

As if that's not enough, Sookie tries to help a human child who shares her telepathic abilities, is asked to act as Shaman for the Wares and everyone is concerned about a government bill which would require all Wares and Shifters to register as such.

It is interesting that, while many people didn't like this book, I felt it was one of the better books in the series.

The consistent thread was families, all types of families, and the relationships within them. For that reason, I felt there was more depth to this book than some. At the same time, it is not easy to take vampires, wares, faeries and humans and make the paranormal seem normal, realistic and logical. Harris does it with style, aplomb and humour.

The book deals more with characters and less with edge-of-the-seat action. Most of the gang is here but there is just enough detail provided about each character for new readers. Harris makes you believe in these characters. More than that, she makes you cheer for the "good" characters and when Sookie says she wants one of the "bad" characters to die; so, too, do you.

Harris' descriptions provide such a strong sense of place that when she talks about Sookie sitting on the front porch, you can smell the coffee and hear the birds. Unfortunately, that also works for the less-than-pleasant descriptions as well so it is not a book for the easily queasy. To me, it's that contrast that makes it work.

This wasn't as much of a graphic action or sex plot as some, although certainly enough to satisfy. This was a more introspective book for Sookie with the emotions conveyed being tangible. It also felt a transition book for Ms. Harris--the series growing up, if you will, and relationships developing.

I know Ms. Harris has planned out where the series is going. There is no question but that I shall be going along with her.

DEAD IN THE FAMILY (Para Susp-Sookie Stackhouse-Louisiana-Cont) - VG
Harris, Charlaine - 10th in series
ACE Books, ©2010, US Hardcover - ISBN: 9780441018642

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead in the Family, 18 Jun. 2010
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Dead in the Family is the highly anticipated tenth novel in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Sookie is once again having to help out the local werewolf pack and deal with unruly vampires. At the same time she is reconnecting with those that she stopped having proper relationships with when she delved deeper into the supernatural world.

In this book we meet Eric's maker, Appius, and his new brother, Alexei. We are introduced to another child of Lorena's, who may or may not be able to help Bill's ongoing silver poisoning. Claude moves in with Sookie and we get to see a different side to him. Hunter returns and the moments with him are very warm and cute.

Alcide once again gets Sookie involved in pack matters and when she is meant to just be on the sidelines. She gets hauled in and is butt deep in weres before she can say `bite me'. The ever growing pack are on edge constantly in this book until it comes to a climax, but the threat is still there. Now they need to decide how to get rid of it.

Bill is in some serious pain and needs help. He has started giving up on everything, life and even his work. Sookie feels real bad for him and wants to help, but she doesn't know how. Eventually Sookie gets an idea and tries her hand at helping him.

Appius is a force to be reckoned with and Sookie doesn't like him one bit. Being around him as well as Eric's new sibling, it sets Sookie at unease. She can feel what Eric is feeling and it doesn't help matters. Eric's brother needs help, but the question is will he take the help provided or bite the hand that feeds him?

Trouble is brewing in Shreveport and soon it's going to become a storm. Eric and Sookie are feeling the strain of Eric's family, Appius and Alexei, being around but with this added stress it soon takes a toll on their time together. Sookie wants the trouble maker dead, but does she get her wish?

My favourite part of this book was the first time, I think, Sookie takes us to Eric's house and they basically lunge for each other as you would if you had not seen one another for a long period of time. The description of Eric's house was amazing and you just know that a man with that much money and power has to have some serious taste and he does. Also I like the moment between Sookie and Pam when she is driving Sookie back to Bon Temps after seeing Eric.

I was very happy to find out that one of my speculations regarding the fairy that wants to do Sookie harm was right. This made my day when I read about who the fairy was and why they wanted to hurt Sookie, I practically punched my fist in the air with glee.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I thought it lacked the action as previous books but I am sure Charlaine is building up to this. Dead in the Family wrapped up some loose ends regarding Sookie and Eric's feeling towards one another, Sookie's relationship with Bill and Alcide and getting her life back on track. Eventually Sookie's life starts to take on a more normal appearance. Well as normal as a mind reader, dating a very powerful vampire that happens to be her husband and being related to fairy's can be.

Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sookie gets a well earned break, 18 May 2010
D. McCaffrey (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have just finished Dead in the Family and felt I wanted to write a review as I disagree quite a lot with the other reviews so far. Firstly, what I will agree on is that this novel really isn't for a brand new Sookie fan and probably doesn't have enough action for those new to her stories. What I will say though is that having been a devoted fan since the beginning of the series I finished the last book feeling quite low and dejected (I am aware she is only a character but 9 books in and you get a feel for the girl). All the goodness, charm and easy going qualities that made her the character we all love were being knocked out of her (sometimes literally), one disaster after another and it was taking it's toll. By the end of book 9 I wasn't sure what kind of Sookie we were going to encounter in 'Dead in the Family'.
In this book Sookie finally gets a well deserved break, as do a few other popular characters who have had a tough time throughout the series and although we are seeing an emotionally tougher Sookie, her inner qualities are starting to recover throughout and by the end the scene has been set for a pretty amazing book 11. It's just horrid we shall have to wait another year for it. There is also a nice feeling in the fact that after having had her trust betrayed so many times previously she spends a lot of time here building bridges with the people she loves the most which again makes for quite a refreshing change. There are a lot of little sub-plots but I feel this is a device to keep all our favourite characters involved and I like that some get solved and some will spill over to the next books. All in all, I would definitely recommend to any Sookie fans and I think Charlaine Harris has done another great job. Like I said, Not as adventurous as some of her other efforts but a nice little stop gap between major story lines.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's time to stake this series and put it out of it's misery..., 16 Aug. 2011
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Our favourite telepathic waitress Sookie isn't getting to spend a lot of time with her boyfriend Eric; you see the country is divided into different vampiric territories, and each territory is further divided into numbered areas, and Eric is in charge of one of these areas, so he has to deal with any supernatural and political problems that may effect the vampires that fall under his jurisdiction. Plus he owns his own business as well, so as well as any work related worries of his own he may have, he also has a lot of responsibility to other people.

There's another headache for him now, in the form of some powerful vampires that may be plotting to overthrow him from his position [read as plotting to kill him], so he now has another massive weight added to his shoulders. Naturally this is just the perfect time for his Roman sire to come and visit - Oh yeah, his sire also brings Eric's vampiric brother - that he didn't know about - to meet too...

Sookie is jumpy and not too keen to be alone in these uncertain times, so when her cousin Claude - a fairy [really] - asks to move into her house for a little while because he is lonely with no other fairies around, and will feel better around family it seems like a perfect distraction for her. But, despite saying yes to him, she doesn't really trust Claude and she soon discovers that another fairy has been on her land and most of the few remaining fairies that she knows of don't like her and would be happy to see her dead. Has Claude got something to do with her fairy stalker?

Meanwhile Sookie's vampiric neighbour [and ex] Bill has silver poisoning and isn't getting better, so Sookie somehow decides that it's her responsibility to find a cure for him - even though he's more or less told her not to.

*****

I said I wasn't going to read another True Blood book after finishing the previous entry in the series [Dead And Gone] and being extremely disappointed by it, but I was looking for a particular book on my bookcase this week when I came across DEAD IN THE FAMILY; I don't even remember buying it and it was dusty so it's been here a while. So since it's already in my hands I thought that I might as well give it a go. What's the worst that could happen?

Lots, as it happens. Let's rewind a bit and remember that my main problem with the last book was with the number of characters that were killed off or abruptly decided to suddenly up and leave for very little reason. I knew this book was going to be a major let down when the very first chapter in this book begins with yet another recurring character getting up and leaving, for no real reason. And, sure enough, the author gets all kill happy again in DEAD IN THE FAMILY.

Before this book became known as the True Blood series it was the Southern Vampire Mysteries series and this change shows where the problem with the series lies; there haven't been any engaging mysteries for the last few books; instead they read as a supernatural soap opera, as the author is far more concerned with trying to reverse the past ten years and with trying to bring the books and the TV programme into an uneasy balance. There is no exciting whodunit and engaging and exciting twists and turns to the plot have long since gone and I don't feel any suspense reading the books now. I used to sit up all night, unwilling to put the books down, but now I don't even remember buying it...

DEAD IN THE FAMILY is the tenth book in the series and Charlaine Harris has also had many short stories featuring the True Blood cast published, which means that there is an enormous amount of characters and various events that are casually mentioned in the books, and remembering who is who and what relationships they have to the central cast is extremely difficult at this point. If someone who hadn't read all of the previous books and short stories picked up DEAD IN THE FAMILY they probably wouldn't have finished it, as everything is all jumbled and confusing.

There isn't any one strong storyline, the 'plot' is just a few random threads unraveling at different speeds; she starts off with one plot-line, seems to forget about it and start another one and then abandon that course too. After forgetting what's going on she pads out the middle of the book with pointless scenes of babysitting, funerals and conversations with Tara [who was a previously minor character, who hadn't been friends with Sookie since their school days]. Finally the author remembers some of the dangling threads and quickly ties them up in the last few chapters in a few very anticlimactic showdowns [one of the 'reveals' is especially annoying], but there are still a few unanswered questions that have been left by the end - has the author simply forgotten about them [seems very plausable considering her sloppy writing], or are they fuel for the next book? Who cares any more?

Simply put; it reads as though the author simply doesn't have any solid plans and is just fishing around her past books and grabbing onto any half remembered past conflict and running them to ground for the sake of having another money spinner in print.

Another annoyance for me is with the way Sookie's personality has changed and it doesn't seem like a natural progression. In some ways I can't put my finger on how she's changed; I can just tell that there's something alien about her character in the last few books. One clear difference is how she is still unsure of which love interest she wants. I don't think that the Sookie of old would still be lingering over her exes by this point; I always used to see her as polite, but strong willed and as someone who stood by her decisions in the earlier books. And she is pouty because Eric isn't giving her enough attention, even though she knows what kind of life-or-death trouble has just been added to his plate. This clingyness is very off-putting. She used to be very independent, but now she's kind of like me-me-me.

Speaking of character changes; stop romanticizing Eric, I adore him because he is a 'real' vampire; 1000 years old, ruthless, blood drinking, murderous and who once admitted that whilst he really liked Sookie, he wouldn't risk his life for her. Now he is distracted from his work over her, declaring his love for her multiple times and Sookie spends a scene braiding his hair. I wish that the author wouldn't meddle with him, is she going after the Twilight fanbase now?

Oh, and Jason? He read like a different character too. He was always a selfish womanizer, but now he's suddenly all grown up and responsible. I can't get too detailed without spoiling other books, but past events would surely make his past behaviour worse?

I've read and enjoyed this book series since it was first published in the US, but the last few releases post True Blood have been severely disappointing and read as though they've been written by a different author. After reading the last two in particular I've been immediately moved to sit down and type rant filled reviews, not a good sign.

After giving the series another chance I now swear not to bother reading any future books; I'd rather remember the good old days and re-read the earlier books. This series is Just About Dead to me now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead in the family.. a must read!, 6 Aug. 2010
I have read all of the series so far and found them gripping, I have been fully absorbed into Sookie's life but I was only slightly disappointed with the recent book. After waiting a year for the book it seemed to lack something. However, it didnt stop me re-reading it out of sheer love for the characters.

I love the detail in each book and the characters which are introduced. If you have enjoyed the other books then you should read this.
It only took me a couple of days to read inbetween working and sleeping but it flew by and I would of liked a longer story.
Having to wait a year for the next will be slightly disheartening but I am an avid fan and I shall just have to wait.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Winding the series up?, 28 Sept. 2010
M. E. Pike "starfishuk" (Kent) - See all my reviews
Book 10: If you think your family relationships are complicated, think again: you haven't seen anything like the ones in Bon Temps, Louisiana. Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems. In addition, the werewolf pack of Shreveport has asked Sookie for a special favour, and since Sookie is an obliging young woman, she agrees. But this favour for the wolves has dire results for Sookie, who is still recovering from the trauma of her abduction during the Fairy War.

We find Sookie recovering from the events of the last book and the horrible traumas she's had to endure. This girl certainly deserves a break and in this book she gets one, or as much of one as she is ever going to get. It's firmly fixed around family. Sookie's family with her relationship with Jason and the fairies in her life, Eric's family when his maker comes to visit and Bill's family when a face from his past reappears. Once again if you are new to Sookie I really must stress that you should start with book 1. Although enjoyable I firmly believe this book would not work as a stand alone as at this point too much is placed on past events and how the characters have developed over time.

I'm happy to say I enjoyed this further chapter in Sookie's life having felt that the series has taken a turn for the better but I also feel that the author is winding up things and ready to bring this series to a close. To us fans this is a sad thing but all good things must come to an end. Enjoy it whilst you can ladies and gents and know that this instalment won't disappoint.

1.0 out of 5 stars Charlaine Harris jumps the shark, 17 July 2012
Unfortunately, Charlaine Harris's excellent premise, that other-than-humans interact with ordinary folk, appears to have led her to plot tangles that disallow that oh-so-important suspension of disbelief in the reader. Here, even her customary good wit and humour appear to have deserted her in favour of tedious explanation, which she now finds necessary to keep her audience up to date with events including ludicrous plotlines involving faerie warfare, vampire lovers, werewolves and other two-natured beings. Those of us who have grown to admire her sassy and gutsy female characters, and deftly articulated imaginary realities will be shaking their heads with disappointment over this rather diluted version of her talent. It reads rather as a filler for a series contract; one that has run too long and is in itself evidence that the writer needs to be doing something different in order to let her skills shine once more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep going!, 17 Jan. 2012
I really like these books, and have read the 10 in the series in about 3 months. I agree with what people have written in some other reviews - yes, it does get a bit annoying that Harris has to refer back and give a summary of the characters every time, and remind you of obvious things like her telepathy. I do wonder why you would choose to read this book as a one off, though? Surely you would read the first book in order to get the full effect? Anyway...

As the tenth book, I wasn't blown away. I (probably wrongly) assumed that there would be more finality to the characters, and when there was about 20 pages left I was getting a bit tetchy, wondering how she was going to tie up all of these loose ends in such a short space! The subsequent ending was adequate, but I don't feel like it gave any more closure than any of the previous books had. Perhaps that's the idea and there will be a further five books? I'd quite like to see more focus on Eric and Sookie's relationship, and an endgame, as opposed to this will they / won't they thing.

There's a good chance I'm comparing the format to the Twilight books, but I suppose you can't do that, really. All in all I would say that whereas the Twilight books FAR surpassed the films (although they're still worth watching and I did like them), I think that the True Blood series is doing a fantastic job of translating what Charlaine Harris has written and may even be better. Shame they can't make them fast enough!! Read the books, though, because if nothing else the plots differ from the TV show, and they are a bit addictive (guilty).

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 6 April 2011
E. L. Joseph (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The 10th in the sookie Stackhouse novels and this series is rapidly becoming tired. I hate to say it because I loved this series to begin with but the last couple of books haven't been up to much and this one was the same unfortunately.

Nothing happened.

I read this book in a day and no not because it was amazing and exciting and gripping but because nothing happened.?.

Im not sure if what i just read actually constitutes a book?

We catch up with sookie in the aftermath of the fae war - a darker version of her former sunny self. She is with Eric which of course is good cos i don't like Bill but the relationship had no depth to it and was pretty flat. We meet Alcide and his pack again as they run on sookie's land and she does them another couple of favours. Eric's maker shows up with a new "child" in tow - Alexei Romanov. (I do love how harris uses historical figures in her books). There are also a couple of corpses and some unknown fairies roaming around which pose a threat to sookie. oh and claude moves in too.

You would think that with all that to work with there would be a semi decent plot. You would be wrong. I gave this book 2 stars purely because I love this series and the characters and in all honesty the book wasn't dreadful...it just wasn't any good either. As some reviewers have put it Sookie gets a break in this book and she certainly does - it was all just fluff and any attempt at a plot just fizzled out and nothing connected.

For those new to the Sookie novels don't start with this one or you will most likely be left bored, disappointed and confused to what all the fuss is about. (Im not kidding - NOTHING happens in this book).
For fans of the sookie novels probably buy it just in case charlaine harris gets this series back on track. If she doesn't i won't be holding on to these books much longer - i only keep books i will re-read and this was nothing special. I have pre-ordered the next one - I live in hope.

Oh and just to get really picky to wrap this up - what is with the cover art? Lafayette may be live and kicking on Trueblood but he died ages ago in the books and so certainly shouldn't be on the cover of this one! Oh and Jessica was a creation of the TV show and has never been in the books at all. love the logic with that one!