5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, no-frills, AAA-powered MP3 player & USB drive
Summary: A 4GB USB flash drive that plays MP3s (and stores files), runs off an AAA battery, and has a random play function.

Published 19 months ago by David Precious

2.0 out of 5 stars Machine With A Mind Of Its Own!
This bloody machine will only do what it wants to do despite what you (try) & tell it. It took 24 hours to download the songs from i-Tunes. It continues to repeat songs (despite the fact that it doesen't have a repeat function!) & it ignores the shuffle & other function & just plays what it feels like. However, when it does decide to play shuffle it whizzes along until it...
Published 11 months ago by Dr. G

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, no-frills, AAA-powered MP3 player & USB drive, 7 Oct. 2013
David Precious (Stevenage, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player

I bought this because I wanted a cheap little MP3 player to dump a load of lullabies on for my newborn, to play through a small portable speaker, rather than using my phone. I specifically picked a player powered by a replaceable AAA battery (as this one is) rather than one with a built-in battery, as cheap built-in batteries have a tendency to lose their ability to hold a charge well quite quickly - using replaceable batteries means this one should still be going strong in years.

I also wanted a device that acted as a simple USB flash drive, so I can manage the music on it with no effort and no specific software.

It's plain, simple and effective. Pull off the right side of the device, which covers a standard USB plug, and plug it in to a USB socket, where it appears as a removable USB device like any other USB flash drive. Dump your MP3s on it, then disconnect it - done.

To play, press and hold the play button until it starts playing. To stop, press and hold the same button until it stops playing. One thing not mentioned in the product description is that it does have a random function - enter random mode by holding the volume up button for three seconds, go back to sequential mode by holding the volume down button for three seconds).

All in all, for the price, it's great - a 4GB USB flash drive that also plays MP3s. I was also pleased by the sound quality - it sounded fine, although you'd want to use better earphones than the supplied ones if you want better bass reproduction, and there's obviously no sound equalisation settings, "bass boost" or anything like that.

UPDATE: my son is now 5 months old, I don't use this for the original reason I bought it any more - it's now loaded up with music for the gym, and I use it regularly at the gym. It's small enough to tuck away in a pocket whilst on a treadmill etc without being obstructive.
The player is still going strong, battery life great - very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound reproduction., 30 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
Very simple and easy to use. On first use, after I'd downloaded 4 albums, the tracks played back in random order but after a day they sorted themselves into correct order. Like downloading a complete collection onto a Kindle. It renders it useless for a while but then the information sorts its self out. The MP3 player now, after more use, downloads and plays back albums in the order they're inputted. Excellent playback and does not distort the sound with increase of volume. The headphones supplied are a little uncomfortable so I bought a pair of I pod headphones off Amazon for a very cheap price. All in all, a great bit of kit. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just got it today!, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
I have been looking all over Amazon for a cheap mp3 player that is small and easy to use.
So I bought this.
The mp3 player does not feel cheap. So I am really happy about that.
Easy to get tracks on to it.
Battery life is good at 8 hours but just in case it dies on me I always bring a spear battery.
The earphone that come with it were cheap and horrible so I recommend you use another pair.
When you change songs it fades in and out which is a good feature.
It took 3 days to deliver which is good in my book.
The 1 star reviews are from people who can't be bothered to read other reviews.
Overall I love it
Battery 9/10
Ease of use 8/10
Price 10/10

I recommend you stop looking at other mp3's and go buy this one. You wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound and capacity for the price, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
Superb sound and capacity for the price, earphones as supplied are OK, but easy to replace with more comfortable ones. The thing that most astonished me about the player is the quality of the sound and decent bass response, much better than you'd expect at this price point. It also appear to last a long time on a single AAA cell, possibly 10-12 hours. Very simple to use and upload to, it is just so much better than the price would make you expect. I was sick of worrying about the charge on my phone when on a long trip listening to music, for this price it's a hell of a lot cheaper and smaller than a second battery or one of those recharger things, plus a replacement AAA cell can be bought from anywhere for less than £1.

Only negative (and it's becaue of the price), you can't see what is playing or what is next as there is no display. But at this price what do you really expect. I absolutely love it. Best £10 gadget I've ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful., 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
No fancy frills,no gimmicks.If all you want to do is listen to music and be able to change batteries manually then you can't go wrong with this wee gadget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but works fine, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
Had to buy a battery powered player as not all the places we go to have a suitable charging point (or at all) and this suited me just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what i needed, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
I wanted a no frills mp3 player that was quite robust.This is perfect,it has no touch screen to worry about I can have it in my pocket without worrying if I am going to damage any screen.it is compact,and I like that it is simple to use.only controls are on/off/pause/backwards/forwards and volume up/down.It has quite a big memory so holds lots of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
Simple to use great sound and easy to put music on with Windows media player rip CD drag across then sync takes less than 3minutes a CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting, and hoping, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
Ok, giving this 5 stars for one reason and one reason only, to draw attention to my views.
How good is it?
Don't know!! Haven't got it working yet. Connected to laptop, lit up like a Xmas tree, down loaded 8 hours of playing time, no problem, listed, through windows media player, all individual songs in random order, down loaded quickly.
Detached from laptop, how the hell do you get it to work ? Two tiny little "chrome" buttons, after pressing both, in random order, nothing ! Not even red light.
With aid of very large magnifying glass, noted one button, on,off. Other button lock and unlock, lock and unlock what ?
What about the battery ? After using the M Gass again, ah, clearly written, with said M Glass, remove film. Still Nothing.
Now my problem is, is it the battery, if so, replace.
If not the battery, then a major fault. Which is going to be a problem, I'm almost housebound.
So now awaiting arrival of batteries.
If then no good, the bin!
So far, no stars.
Is it value for money ?
If working after batteries changed, excellent value, less than one hour's rate of pay, to manufacture, ship around the world, advertise, market, and deliver to my home, how cheap is that ?
If it don't work ? Then at 82 yrs old, I have long since learned, you get what you pay for, it is what you younger people a "learning curve", so down to expieriance!
Wish me luck,

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good considering the price., 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player
I wanted some cheap MP3 players to hand out at an event. This unit doesn't have the greatest user interface but it does the job and is good value at under £10. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to play anything at all if loaded up with a mix of files (a different MP3 player I bought would simply skip anything that wasn't an MP3, allowing you to fill up the available space with whatever file types you wanted.) I believe I was also sent a triple-a battery with this purchase.

Reddmango ANGORA MR118 4GB Digital Audio Player