5.0 out of 5 stars Android, Apple, Android, Apple...?
Published on 10 Aug 2010 by Mr. S. Heptinstall

3.0 out of 5 stars great phone but no drivers and software for Win7 and Win XP
I have just bought one. Great smartphone. However the main software application Kies, downloadable from samsung's download page, does not work with Win7 (I refer to Kies version 1.5.1, aug. 18, 2010); and there is no possibility to install drivers on the pC.
Now Samsung asserts in the same download page that Kies works for Win XP, Vista, 7.
So I asked to the...
Published on 30 Aug 2010 by Carlo Mariconda

5.0 out of 5 stars Android, Apple, Android, Apple...?, 10 Aug 2010
For a good while now the iPhone has been (in many peoples eyes) the smart-phone to have, for its simplicity, speed, huge range of apps and solid design people have been splashing out ridiculous money to own an iPhone (myself included). After a while we learned that it is pretty restricted and that jail breaking is frowned upon (rather than encouraged like palms Dev mode and androids 3rd party apps) and the whole product is stupidly over priced for what you get.

This is where Samsung have seen a whole in the market and created a magnificent smart-phone, the Samsung Galaxy S i9000.
OK, it isn't 'cheap' by any means, and it isn't quite as well built as some may have hoped but it is far cheaper than the iPhone 4 and it has many features that are far more impressive. You can pick one up for around 300 in excellent condition and for what you get it isn't really that over priced.

The first thing you notice is the super AMOLED screen, I can't express just how bright and crisp it actually is. I read many reviews before buying my i9000 and they all boasted on how amazing the screen is, I was skeptical I must admit. Then i turned it on and I was blown away. The colours are so beautifully vibrant, everything is crystal clear, and the wallpapers that come with the phone look absolutely stunning. Even with the Brightness turned right down it is still super bright and is even very visible in bright sun lit areas. It is also very scratch resistant and seems to stay pretty clean without having to wipe it all day, possibly an oleophobic coating of some sort.

The HD camera takes a lovely photo and the 720p video recording is much much better than I anticipated, however the lack of flash is well... how can I say it... Stupid! I am utterly confused as to why Samsung have left this feature out, It would be near a perfect phone if they had just added a flash but for some bizarre reason they decided to leave it out. OK digital cameras are pretty cheap for a half decent one and the camera is just an extra feature to the phone but it would have still been the icing on the cake if they had put on the flash.

The phone in general looks very nice too, it is clearly influenced in design by the iPhone but in my opinion it looks even nicer and feels much comfier in my hand.

It has plenty of memory, 8GB or 16GB with an expandable slot inside the phone which will take up to an extra 32GB of memory which should be enough for anybody.

The phone is nicely customizable as are most phones. You can easily change the wallpaper, which spreads out over 7 homepages that can be filled with widgets of your choice and shortcuts to your applications, but be warned if you have plenty of widgets they may slow things down a tad and really drain your battery because they keep refreshing. There is a way past this however, simply change the settings for each widget so they refresh manually/never. This will save hours of battery life. Many people are complaining that the battery life is poor however I disagree. I just simply turned the screen brightness to half and turned off background data and auto-sync and it has gone from lasting one day of good usage to 3 days before it needs a full charge. Also download a free task killer from the android market and this will close all applications that have been left open which will also save plenty of battery life and keep your phone running at maximum speed.

The phone overall is an excellent smart-phone. I was stuck between the Galaxy S and the HTC desire (2 very similar top of the range phones with very minor differences) and after testing the 2 phones the 4inch HD super AMOLED screen, the HD camera and the appearance of the phone itself won me over, and I am very happy with my decision. I'm giving the phone 5 out of 5 because i think it truly deserves it. The lack of flash is still crazy and it should have been added but I can't deduct a star just for that one reason. The android store is still a little limited (70,000+ apps is still plenty to choose from, but the selection isn't as impressive as apples) but that is something that will grow over time.

Great phone, the definite underdog of the smart-phone market.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this phone!, 19 April 2011
Never imagined I could become addicted to a mobile phone, but this is more than just a mobile phone. Retired and in my mid sixties, my memory isn't too good, but now I wake up in the morning, roll over and check my calendar. I can set reminders and alarms so I never miss any appointments or birthdays, etc. Throughout the day I text, e mail, shop, bank, check my shares, take lovely photos even without a flash, upload them to Facebook instantly, make recordings and videos and use the gps for directions on foot or in the car. Last thing at night I enjoy listening to the radio while I write my journal, no longer on paper, now I can include a photo from the day, and then I read an e book.

All this from a beautiful, slim and smooth phone. Unbelievable! I just adore it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous screen and fast processor defeat tacky case, 8 July 2010
Craig Lam (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
*I have the 16gb version of this, but I couldn't see it on Amazon. The phones are the same apart from this small detail.*

The first thing anyone notices about the Galaxy S is the screen. There are other smartphones out with the same size of screen (the HTC HD2, I believe) but the "super AMOLED" display really pops with brightness and colour. Normally I dismiss claims of "20% extra brightness, 80% sunlight reduction, 20% extra battery" as marketing guff, however, in the case of this technology, it appears to be at least somewhat true. The screen makes even mundane usage of the device something of a joy.

The phone is sold with Samsung's own interface on top, and in many ways it reminds me of the Sense UI on the HTC devices, though it does lack some of the widgets that came with my wife's HTC Hero, such as as the homescreen weather/time widget and the email widget. Similar applications were easily found on the Android Market. The touch whiz interface is clearly somewhat less polished and pretty than Sense, but it essentially does the same things.

And this phone is fast. The capacitive screen requires the lightest of touches to set the processor in motion and switching between apps, screens, pictures, albums is almost instantaneous. The machine is built on a 1ghz processor like the Nexus 1 and Desire, but it beats both in benchmarks and includes a dedicated graphics engine. I haven't had much opportunity to try many games, though the few I've tried (including Asphalt, a 3d heavy game) have run extremely well. It's just a shame that there aren't more big developers working in the Android Market at the moment.

Swype is a brilliant addition to text input on the device. You may have heard of it, or something similar - it allows you to trace a "path" including the letters you want in a word, rather than pecking them out individually. This sounds somewhat silly until you try it. The software has an uncanny knack of choosing the correct word out of the letters you trace and it makes typing out long words fast and easy. It isn't so good for the fiddly bits of messaging - punctuation, capitalisation - but you can combine it with hunt and peck for finer editing.

Now the bad.

The design of the phone is inoffensive, yes, and also generic. It's what you'd draw if you wanted to represent a distillation of 2010 smartphones. It's basically an oblong screen with filleted edges. It has one clicky physical home button flanked by capacitive menu and back buttons. I found that I missed the physical trackball of the Hero, if only to flip between screens or fidget with. The case is a shiny, slippery plastic, and the back is composed of tiny, faintly iridescent polkadots. Not very nice to look at or hold, especially since this is a large, thin slab. Don't ever rest it on your knees, it'll just slide off. I expect that I'll get a case with a bit more grip for it when a wider selection becomes available.

The battery life isn't great either, though I am able to get at least a regular day of use out of it. It has never given up on me when I've needed it, but it does get worrying low late in the day. Bear in mind that it's my new toy and, as with any new gadget, I play with it all the time: installing new apps, changing backgrounds, taking pictures, messing with the GPS, etc. So when I calm down a bit I expect the battery will go proportionally further.

Overall, this is a very polished device. It's packed with cutting edge hardware that works in efficient tandem with a quickly maturing Android. I dislike its physical design and it's a shame that Samsung didn't plump for higher quality materials and a more daring style to match the hardware. However, we don't (at least, I don't) buy phones for what they look like when they're switched off, lying on a table. No, we spend most of the time looking at the screen, and the Galaxy's display more than makes up for its ugly chassis.

Edit (11/02/11):
As others have recommended, I eventually got a simple silicone case. The phone is much better protected and way less slippery now, though it is slightly harder to slip out of a pocket! Small price to pay for a phone I'm probably going to rely on for the next year or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for my Iphone 3GS, 10 Nov 2010
I have used a Iphone for the last 2 years, first one being a 8gb 2g model and then I got a 32gb 3GS.

I was still happy with my 3GS when I fancied a new bit of a kit as fellas do, so I called O2 and got it the next day with my contract.

Being so used to the Iphone's excellent touch screen I was a little concerned that the Galaxy S wouldn't compare to it.

Well I need not have worried. The Galaxy S' touchscreen is superb even for really big fingered people like me. No problems so far a month on with regular use with the screen. Also apart from being a great touchscreen the screen itself its superb, very bright, big and clear, also a lot easier to see in bright sunlight than the Iphone.

I am also very pleased with the Galaxy S uses Mini SD cards as I hate installing phone manufacturers software on my computer so it means I can just pop the Mini SD into my card reader and transfer my files with no nonsense. Also pleased with it has a normal battery rather than a non user replaceable one, so it means I can buy myself a new one should it ever be required.

The phone itself is very light but none the less feels well made and looks very nice. Call quality is good, and it holds reception very well. Wifi is also excellent. Build in speakers are pretty good for built in speakers, I mean they sound awful but better than anything I have used before.

Camera quality is ok considering its with a plastic lens (not a big fan of phone cameras) and the phone can capture HD video at 720p, I wasnt that fussed about the camera and HD recording but none the less its a nice touch to have.

The thing that I really really really loved about this phone is that I can connect it via my home's wireless network to my new LED Samsung tv and wirelessly play any video from my phone on the big screen tv, also I can use my phone to control my tv all of which is pretty cool.

You will not regret getting this phone a really nice bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous screen and fast processor defeat tacky case, 28 Jun 2010
Craig Lam (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Now the bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello & here's my 50 Cents on the NEW (well almost) Samsung S1, 5 Aug 2011
David Glasgow (Co.Tyrone, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Sim Free Mobile Phone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Hello,

I purchased the New Galaxy S1 because when it first came out it was like 499.00 Quid I can remember well, however a whooping 200 Quid has been removed
to leave only 299 Quid for a premium iPhone 4 BEATING Handset hands down, Ive owned both the iPhone 3G and 3GS, and would not go for the iPhone 4.

1) Because the iPhone 4 only has a 3.5 inch Screen where this S1 Baby has a whooping 4 inch screen a Big difference in person, side by side with my 3GS.
2) The iPhone 4 has only a high res IPS LCD Screen, and they charge you the earth for it, NO "Super AMOLED" which is the very BEST SCREEN IN THE WORLD.
The Samsung S1 has the new Super AMOLED Screen at a very high pixel count 800 x 400 which is about as much as you could cram onto a 4 inch screen.

Why am I making a fuss about Super AMOLED, well. its the very best there is in the wworld (at present) and is absolutely beautiful to look at.
The Screen doesn't flicker like some IPS LCD Screens which or Notorious for screen flicker. NOT too much however its always there.!

The OS it came with was direct from the factory with a recent date, and was FROYO 2.2.1 and its not too far away from the new release of 2.3 Gingerbread.

However, I'm very familiar with FROYO 2.2.1 because I currently also use an HTC Desire S. which is an amzing fone, but NOTHING quite like the Samsung Galaxy S1.

Its very easy to get ones head around easpecially if you are a GEEK or a Technically minded person, or NON technically minded, just the willingness to learn
You will pick it up very fast indeed. As the Galaxy S1 Phone has built in tutorials, that no one yet has mentioned.
(they are very easy to access from the menu).

The phone is light, but not too light, it just is about the same weight as the iPhone 3GS or a few grams heavier.. NOT bad, you know once you take the phone out from the box, and flip off the back, you can see pure quality staring back at you, Samsung Japanese Quality. with a futher 8GB of built in Samsung RAM (which is very FAST).

I bought a Kingston SDHC Micro (Class 4) FAST 16GB Memory Card to place in the back however if you wish you can buy 32Gb (Class 4) Minimum, depending on your needs.

If you intend to record live video the (class 4) or (class 6) is bare minimum. Class 4 seems much better value for money at present, and is all that is required at 4Mb per sec, but does transfer much faster in real life situations. (which is a Big help...)Kingston recommended, Just under 15 quid for 16GB Class 4 on Amazon which is very cheap, and value for money I can assure you, I can remember not so long ago 16GB would have cost the earth. Now they are so cheap, even the 32GB is so cheap compared to (1) year ago, so please spend what your going to use.

Anyways in closing the Phones pros and cons: below

1) Beautiful 4 inch "SUPER AMOLED SCREEN" very attractive selling point for a High Spec. ANDROID Handset @ under 300 Quid.
2) will come with all Lifetime of updates well for the next 2-3 years anyways, which is enough.
3) a very powerful 1500 Mah Battery which will last for 1 day, with using GPS, DATA, Wifi & 'Some Bluetooth' turned on. ave use.
4) a Full peace of Mind Amazon UK warranty so should it arrive defective Amazon UK with replace immediately so you have nothing to worry about.
5) 1Ghz Snapdragon ARM - CPU, which together with the fast Samsung 8GB built in Flash memory, goes like Speedy Gonzalez.
6) In my eyes the perfect Phone for the money you have to spend that will last you a good 3-4 years providing you look after it, and buy a Protective Case, & spare Samsung battery here on Amazon for 8 quid +Plus postage, for an original, which people seem happy with in there reviews, stay away from compatible batteries, they overheat, and are bad for the phone.(Period)

Now for the Cons.

In my merge opinion there doesn't seem to be, NOT at this price and quality, together with a Top NOTCH "AMOLED Screen" and 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor.
The screen is meant to be "Gorilla Glass" however, do not rely on that, please also add a few plastic screen savers, plastic sticky coated sheaths for the very Job.
Change on a regular basis, they are easy to put on if done correctly without any fuss, and no bubbles, either, look at the reviews for the best variety.

To End please consider buying this phone if its within your budget, as the s2 is a beautiful phone too.. but cannot justy the present price over the s1 which soon will have the very same Android OS 2.3 Gingerbread.

Thanks for reading.

Help keep the Amazon reviewing & Voting system alive, please leave me a positive VOTE, only if you found my review useful, cheers David :D
'
UPDATE: get about ave (1 day daily battery life), texting, making calls, DATA WEB Browsing, etc. medium usage. but you can buy stronger battery's.

3.0 out of 5 stars great phone but no drivers and software for Win7 and Win XP, 30 Aug 2010
Carlo Mariconda "Carlo" (Italy) - See all my reviews
So I asked to the assistance care (Italy, where I am living) and they told me they have a problem with Win7, with no idea on when the problem will be solved.
I tried then with Win XP, that I still have in my office. An error appeared as soon as I started the installation! Didn't tried with Vista.
I will give it back, no sense to have a high level smartphone that cannot be connected to my Pc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone rubbish support software, 30 Aug 2010
KJ Strangward "Karen" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
The Samsung Galaxy S is a fabulous phone, it has a beautiful 4' AMOLED display, it's lightweight and runs on Google Android 2.1 which makes it fairly user friendly.

The biggest pitfall in owning a Samsung Galaxy S is the Samsung's PC suite Kies , its dreadful, with many people including myself getting little or no connection. Kies is needed to sync your music, media, app and contacts between your phone and PC, you also need it to update the Android Firmware, which will be released by Samsung soon. I found it impossible to connect my phone Via Kies. I have been trying for a week on and off and I'm not the only one with this problem. It's very important for me to be able to sync my phone with my PC, so I may have to return the phone due to these software issues. Samsung really need to address this issue! Come back iTunes all is forgiven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Android phone, 3 Aug 2010
D. Maynard (uk) - See all my reviews
This phone is the best i've ever had and i have had a few believe me. The hardware is amazing and the os is the best you can get, one thing i found with this phone is sometimes it slows down but after i had installed a custom version of froyo 2.2 that got rid of the samsung stuff it is perfect.
My galaxy s is now 100% android and very very good no lags or slow downs and the battery lasts longer too but you need to condition it about 6 times by fully discharging it and recharging it while turned off this helps and now last two days with pretty heavy useage.
I have watched avatar on it in HD wow amazing i used handbrake to convert the files to the correct size and quality i seriously was amazed better than any other phone i have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy s, 27 Feb 2011
N. Haines "Neiljo" (uk, South Wales) - See all my reviews
I love this phone, I previously had an Iphone 3g a great phone that showed me what a proper smart phone could do. When the contract ended, i decided to look around, i decided not to get an Iphone 4as i found the iphone too restrictive, so after reading review after review of several different phones i opted for the Galaxy s. Everything was fine untill i installed a few apps and then some would cause to phone to freeze or it would have to force close the app, on some apps the lag was terrible! I tried all ways to update the software to 2.2but it always crashed, after searching the internet I found the solution Go to Privacy/ factory reset (backup data first)and it ran striaght through! Now there is no lag, it really is extremely fast! It is an outstanding phone and well worth the money, the dabate will continue about is it better than the Iphone 4, I'd say it's personal preference! Try both out and see which one you would prefer.

ARRAY(0xab0bbb4c)