5.0 out of 5 stars No hiding place for these guys, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
To be able to sing "a cappella" and be totally in tune must be the most difficult thing to do. I had never come across CB&S before buying the Folk Awards 2011 sampler double album, which featured a wonderful version of "Now is the Cool of the Day", written by the American folk icon, Jean Ritchie. This particular version sent shivers down my spine - honestly! - so much so that I had to check them out on YouTube and, in the end, buy the album.

It is well worth it; not a bad track on it, not even an average track. Apart from the aforementioned opener, Richard Thompson's "Keep Your Distance" is another highlight where the backing seem like sounds effects. There is also a fair amount of humour scattered throughout the album like on "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "We Got Fooled Again". There is some sadness, too, as on "Spring 1919" and "A Hill of Little Shoes", which I also love.

The voices are clear, the three part harmony is perfection and each voice compliments the other two. It's a shame I had not heard of them before, but I have now. Better late than never and this is one of the wonders of exploring music - you never know when you'll unearth talent which others know about but which you, until now, didn't.

This is a class act!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great album, 28 July 2010
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
It was only when I heard a track from this album on the radio that I discovered they existed and I was completely blown away by the sound and the songs. I thought a whole album might be too much of a good thing but the subtlety and the clarity of the words and their interpretation mean you can listen to the whole lot without feeling you have over indulged. I feel rather ashamed I had never heard of them before as they are obviously masters of what they do and deserve to be well known far beyond the folk scene and I shall look forward to getting some of their back catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: As If... (MP3 Download)
This is an excellent collection of material gathered from many sources. It is well sung and well constructed. As ever the three part harmony is awesome, but it never detracts from the subject of the song. Traditional and contemporary songs sit easily side by side. My own favourite is 'A Hill of Little Shoes'-a brilliant Clive James poem with a Pete Atkin melody, impeccably delivered in a way that stops you in your tracks as its meaning hits you.

5.0 out of 5 stars as if, ....... I care, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
I bought "as if..." after some years of interest in CB&S but mainly to catch up with their recorded output after seeing them perform at 'The Musician', in Leicester, earlier this year.

Their live performance was very good, but "as if..." is even better. With trademark harmony and despite a couple of pretty morbid tracks which I find difficult to listen to, even though I appreciate their sincerity, this album is a fine collection, representing the best of this accomplished group's output.

This album would be worth it solely for their arrangements of Richard Thompson's "Keep Your Distance" plus their own compositions "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "We Got Fooled Again", but in its entirety it is proof that here are terrific musicians in unique combination and at the top of their game.

5.0 out of 5 stars making up for lost listening time, 7 Aug 2012
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
Like other reviewers, I feel a little shamefaced that I haven't caught these three before, especially since I've been onto the Watersons since the mid-60s, Swan Arcade (Boyes was in that group) and other a capella folkies. This album is close-harmony singing of the very best, with an excellent choice of songs. It doesn't limit itself to a genre of song, and so if you are unsure about "folk" music (useless label...) you can be reassured that it's just excellent, moving, amusing, entertaining music, with added gooseflesh effect from time to time! It's "political" in places (another useless label - like the rest of our lives as social animals, one might add) but it doesn't thump tubs and weary ears with it - it simply makes you think, nod and smile (or frown, depending on your views.) I guess you could say it's smoother in the harmonies, perhaps more sophisticated and more varied than than the great a capella groups of the late 60s and seventies (aforementioned Watersons, or Swan Arcade or Staverton bridge.) but if I'm making it sound like barbershop - it's not. It goes down the soles of your feet.

OK, enough categorising. Really fine album. I'm off to make up for lost time. I'm on to you, lads!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it!, 15 July 2011
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
Coope Boyes and Simpson have done it again! Gorgeous songs, cracking harmonies! Enough to make us (other acapella harmony singers) want to give up!
Recording quality absolutely excellent as well. Just what we have come to expect.As If

5.0 out of 5 stars Devastating, 9 Feb 2011
david brazier (wantage, oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
Their talent is devastating - and they deserve global recognition. Their cover of Atkin/James 'A Hill of Little Shoes' is one of the most beautiful and saddest songs I've ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and sometimes indeed 'devastating' songmaking, 5 July 2010
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
This album has a few tracks on it which blow me away every time. 'In the shadow of a hill' and 'this earth is a garden' are truly wonderful, both musically genius and humanly real. relevant to the times in which we live too. i would recommend this album to anyone, but especially musically minded people with a social conscience and interest in folk.

Beautiful acapella harmonies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning harmonies, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
This is a lovely CD for those of us who like a bit of folk music, traditional English singing or a really good vocal performance. The songs are simple and well crafted, with wry observation, poignant emotion or downright silliness and humour very evident. But it's the perfectly matched voices and clever use of harmony which does it for me. These boys are good. Really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Excellent Harmony, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: As If (Audio CD)
I recently discovered CBS and am so glad I did, well thought out work great songs, wonderful harmonies in the English Tradtion.

As If...