on 13 March 2011
I've owned many printers over the years and keep coming back to Epson. I am very tech savvy but for some reason wireless devices hate me! I have trouble setting up home broadband at times.
This printer arrived via Amazon Prime, it was well packaged both by Amazon and Epson, On unpacking it everything is easy to locate in the box. There is a full instruction book (that I don't normally read) and two quick start guides, One to get the printer unpacked and up and running and one to get it set up wirelessly, this part comes with a software CD that works on Mac and windows.

The printer came to life almost instantly and was working fine, after this success I thought to myself 'time to risk it all and go wireless' the disc and the printer led me through this step by step, five minutes later I was printing wirelessly. I've since moved the printer and it's still working fine.

Included in the box is Presto! Pagemanager. This is a great little program and includes Optical Character Recognition (OCR).

Scanning is good quality as is copying, I've not tried the fax facility as I have no real need of it,

The best recommendation I can give is, 'If this one was dropped/stolen would I replace it with the same?' The answer in this case is a resounding 'Yes'
Found this printer is easy to set up following the instructions, adding the set-up to a memory stick for adding to additional laptops made things much easier. To make things a little more difficult I added a new Belkin N hi-speed Router, but that threw a wobbly when trying to connect, fault was that one of the laptops didn't have the drivers to cope. Had to download the drivers required, now works fine. I bought a Wi-Fi printer because 3 of us in the house have laptops, its so much easier now, not having to plug in a printer. Wanting to be able to print, Letters, Spreadsheets, Photos etc., the quality is much better, as in the past I've never spent more £40 on a printer, but having the Scan and Copying facility has proved useful, haven't connected the Fax option, so can't comment on this feature. I bought a full set of spare cartridges ready for when the current ones run out, when I change them, I'll order another set or whatever is required, don't like it when printing fails because cartridges have run dry. Very pleased with product so far, will notify should a problem arise.
on 27 January 2011
Had this product for around two weeks and it's excellent, no problems whatsoever. It took around 45 minutes to unpack, install all the various software packages it comes with and configure it to connect to my wireless network which was effortless by following the step by step on screen installation instructions. I have an 'n' class router and I'd say printing over wireless is certainly no slower than printing using USB and the automatic document feeder for faxing, copying and scanning is a real time saver.

All in all I'd defintely recommend this product.
on 27 September 2011
I've owned several printers in the past, but this is by far the best 'Performance per £' printer I've owned.
Firstly, the printer is well packaged, ensuring that none of the 'flaps' get damaged.
The items inside the box are adequate, although you don't get a USB cable. Luckily, I had a cable from my old printer, which I used to initially set up the wireless network connection. However, it would have been nice of Epson to include a cheap USB cable for those who don't have a spare.
The network setup was fairly painless, although I had to follow the instructions step by step as I had never set up a WiFi printer before. I hadn't realised that the printer is wirelessly connected to the first computer in the network, & not the router IP. Perhaps, I should have realised that the printer requires the OS (which the router doesn't have). However, this stage is the longest process, but once done, any remaining computers are simple to connect via WiFi.
The quality of prints are extremely good. I have printed in 'Draft' mode, 'Grey-scale', & up to Photo quality on glossy paper. All prints are very good quality, however, as with all printers, don't expect the ink to last long when printing photo quality.
The scanner has 2 inputs: the usual flatbed scanner, under the lid. & the Auto Feeder on the top of the machine. The Auto feeder works well, especially is you're copying several sheets (just remember to feed your paper in the right way - Face UP). The Photocopying is also good quality & simple to use.
I have recently tried the Fax out (having signed up to an on-line company who convert faxes into emails). I sent myself a fax from the Epson & picked it up 2 minutes later from my email account. If you're not sure about faxing, read the manual & follow the step by step instructions.

The only negatives:
I was surprised at the price of original ink cartridges for this printer - The cheapest black Epson cartridge I've found is about £15 (& this printer requires 2 of them to work). Also, the original colour cartridges are quite expensive, being about £36 per set). There are obviously ways around this...
a). use lower quality printing (Draft or Text) to use less ink per print.
b). Buy compatible cartridges. Beware about some of the compatibles though, as some may not work. The printer looks for info installed on a chip built into the cartridge, so preferably look for chipped compatibles.

The other negative is a personal thing. I would have preferred a paper feeder to have been in a draw under the printer (out of sight) similar to Canon printers. The point of buying a network printer is that I can put it in another room instead of tucking it under my desk (& having problems accessing it whenever paper needed refilling, or ink replaced). In the room that this printer is in now, it would look a lot neater if the trays could fold away. But, the paper tray on the top is always open (collecting dust & looking like an office). This is only a minor gripe, but I felt that it needed to be said.

The verdict:
Overall, this is a great printer, especially for the price. Printing, Scanning, Copying & Faxing are all within easy reach of even the technophobes out there. There's a wealth of help for those who still don't understand the instructions (Just Google it). Drivers are easy to get from Epson. And the choice is yours for the cartridges.
I would highly recommend this printer for those of you who want a reasonably priced printer which will cover all your office needs.
on 6 August 2011
Easy to set up and the wireless makes it very useful when printing from computers in other rooms. Only hassle is that you can't, unless I've missed something, give it a fixed IP address. So if it's allocated a new IP address by the router, for whatever reason, you'll probably have to setup the wireless connection again. When combined with a pair of RTX Wireless Phone Jacks I can wirelessly use the fax facility when the telephone point is in the next room room. Which is extremely useful. Bit noisy for an office environment which is a shame as that's what it's intended for but in my home office I don't really care. It may be an issue if someone is making a call when the printer is doing its stuff! Yes it is that loud. Quality of text printing is very good. I haven't tried to print photos yet but I would guess that the prints would be perfectly adequate if the images on the documents I've printed are anything to go by. All I can say is it does what it says on the box and I'm very please.
on 15 August 2011
Prints ok. Bit of a pain to install, but that was probally my lack of IT skills. Had to go online for some part of the install that wasn't compatable. My computer is new, so a little anoying.
But it looks nice. Good size.
Wireless printing sunds good, but it can't cope with you sending too many documents through at once.
Not set up the fax part yet. But I am looking foward to having it there.
It does alot and I have alot more to learn.
I am happy with the printer and definatly who i got it from!
on 7 March 2012
This is a great printer and at a very affordable price. But Buyer Beware for some reason, this printer is not supplied with any USB cable! (cost of £0.91)
We had to wait a further five days for the cable before finally being able to set up the printer, not everyone has wireless connectivity, living in rural East Sussex this is just not practicable for us. It would have been so easy to point this out in the frequently bought together section! Such a shame as the printer itself is easy to install and set up, very quick and perfect for our modest needs.
on 19 December 2011
I posted on a very complimentary review for this printer. But, I am now retracting all my positive comments. For all of it's good points, I have discovered a serious problem with it. I ordered genuine Epson ink Cartridges from Amazon, when one of the cartridges it came with ran out.

However, in spite of paying a premium for Epson Cartidges, the printer will not recognise the replacement and will not print at all - even in mono, in spite of the black cartridges still being OK.

So, in effect, I spent £65.00 for a sheet feeder document scanner and have to use my trusty HP Photo Printer for all my printing. It is a good job I had a second printer.

So well done HP and thumbs down to Epson.

It doesn't matter how good the printer is if it won't print.
on 22 December 2011
For a small office this has to be just the best all round printer available (and at a low, low price).
I am delighted with it (and also found the wi-fi set up very straight forward and well thought out).
on 7 February 2013
I've owned a lot of printers in my time, for a shade over £60 which I managed to find this for the print quality on it is pretty good, the photocopying function works, haven't tried the fax functions as email is the norm these days and the wireless connectivity works a treat (when the printer actually can be found on the network, often after a power down and up). Not a bad little package but the cartridges are small so be warned!! If you want to do a lot of printing you better make sure you have plenty of spare cartridges to hand.

The real problem started when I wanted to do some high resolution scans at maximum quoted optical resolution of some old photos. Unfortunately the resulting scanned images had missing data. Just to be sure I repeated it with different photos and same result. Contacted Epson via email and was told I could take the printer to an Epson Express Centre where they will check and test it free of charge. Not a problem except I no longer drive and the nearest Epson repair center is over 5 miles away. So I emailed Epson again to see what options I have apart from visiting an Epson Express Centre. Their reply...

~
Thank you for contacting EPSON's UK Customer Inter@ction Centre.

In response to your email, you can take your printer to an Epson Express Centre and they will arrange a repair or replacement under the terms of your warranty or alternatively we offer a courier service direct from us for just £10 (towards transport) for a like-for-like Quality Assured replacement.

For details of your nearest Epson Express Centre, please go to [...]t and click on 'FIND A REPAIR CENTRE' on the page. Enter your postcode or town name in the 'Find a repair centre' search box and click on 'FIND'. A list of your nearest Epson Express Centres will open, including contact details and a local map.

If you would like to proceed with the £10 courier service option, please confirm the following details. Payment can be made via credit/debit card.
~

Do I want to really lug this beast around on public transport? No. Do I want to spend a sixth of the original price I paid to get a "quality assured replacement" knowing it's not going to be new like the one I purchased? No. Will I buy Epson again? Well it won't be an all in one, or any thing low end IF I do.