5.0 out of 5 stars To Do Or Die
I first noticed the title and art work of this book in W H Smith and bought it as I'm a fan of WW2 fiction.

Published on 23 May 2010 by Ben Peyton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read
Not a bad read. But the story did seem a bit implausible, a bit boys own at times and I thought the ending a bit rushed. The Technical detail is good and I liked the characters. I have to say I thought the depiction of army life was very good and the banter between the troops brought back memories.

All in all I must have enjoyed the book because I bought the...
Published on 17 Jan 2012 by Micky Dee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars To Do Or Die, 23 May 2010

The pace is excellent with the main characters introduced quickly and their mission starting almost immediately. In a nutshell, our two heroes are behind enemy lines and need to get to neutral territory as quickly as possible whilst being hunted by those nasty Nazis.

The action is pretty relentless and you can clearly tell the author has a passion and deep understanding of WW2. I was able to picture very clearly the scenery and imagery Max Adams created. The book reminded me of the splendid Jack Tanner series of books by James Holland.

I really enjoyed this and hope there will be a sequel as I'd like to read more about these two guys and their adventures. As debut novels go Max Adams has started with a cracker. I hope he can keep it up!

4.0 out of 5 stars World War 2 action, 27 Dec 2010
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels) (Kindle Edition)
WW2 action thrillers have made a bit of a comeback of late (James Holland, Michael Asher, James Dellingpole etc) and this is a welcome addition.

Author Max Adams is better known by other names he writes under and here he turns his seasoned hand to WW2 action. Thank Goodness he didn't try to turn this into a Sharpe in WW2 story (an obvious temptation) but gives us a reasonably low key story set right at the start of WW2. A sapper is sent to look at the French defences just as the Germans start their campaign into France. Joining up with a colleague he is trapped behind enemy lines and as they strive for a way over the border, they find themselves being hunted by the SS and will need all their skills and cunning to survive....

Lance Corporal Dawson is a feisty and realistic character and I hope the author returns to the character. There was much to like about this one, a choice not to go for a 'big mission' story, to give Dawson a slightly loose moral compass when needed, and to not follow the obvious route with the storyline. A good kick off point for a welcome addition to the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read, 17 Jan 2012

All in all I must have enjoyed the book because I bought the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent WW2 adventure, 28 Sep 2010
T. M. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good read. The story flows well and there is plenty of action to keep the interest and while the plot isn't rocket science it had enough depth to keep me interested. The story is pretty much boys own with salt of the earth heroes who have a hard edge when needed and suitably unlikeable villians.

This is an excellent addition to a genre that has declined in recent years but being brought back again by people like Tom Holland. I look forward to the next book in what looks to shape up into a good series

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Outing in the "Phoney War", 12 July 2011
P. Brooks "Peter Brooks" (Manchester, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels) (Kindle Edition)
It's refreshing that a WWII Action Novel dives head first into the phoney war, a largely neglected aspect of WWII. centred on the lack lustre French invasion of the Saar Eddie Dawson a Lance-Corporal in the Royal Engineers is cut off behind enemy lines along with his "Oppo" Dave. Well paced action, dastardly French turncoats and of course brutal SS officers all go along to make an enjoyable read.

HOWEVER. to make a really good WWII action novel the devil is in the detail, especially the period detail. James Holland knows this and thus turns out a cracking product.

Mr Adams makes too many basic mistakes such as when our hero compares the sound of an MP40 with the sound of a STEN in 1939? also the mention of Jerry Cans when the British Army was still using 2 & 4 Gallon Flimsies and diesel engines in 15CWT British Lorries? a Royal Engineer being issued a Lee-Enfield IV when only then available in small numbers and were not general issue until 1941? Also mentions RDX alot when a more widely issued explosive was Nobel 808.

Still my Anorak-ness not withstanding it was a good outing and I've down loaded number 2 Already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rattling Good Read, 28 Mar 2011
As a fan of historical action books I thought I'd give this a go and I wasn't disappointed. First class - great story, good characters and fast pace. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next and the next etc....

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much, 30 May 2011
Peter Smith (Grantham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels) (Kindle Edition)
The implausible plot line aside, (a lance-corporal carrying out an inspection of allied defences - surely a job for an officer of field rank, not a junior NCO), this would be a good and exciting read but for a tedious attention to technical detail. This is doubly annoying as the details are not always accurate and often anachronistic. All that aside, this is a good story which rattles along, except for the technical digressions, which spoil it for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels) (Kindle Edition)
If a little unlikely in places ,a good read , good job I was on holiday ,couldn't put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Great uncomplicated action packed read, 25 April 2014
This review is from: To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels) (Kindle Edition)
A good fast paced read. No complicated plots, just loads of action. Great for those of us who loved the old commando comic books when we were kids, can't wait to read the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: To Do or Die (Eddie Dawson Novels) (Kindle Edition)
A very exiting book, well written and hard to put down book which I really enjoyed and would rate this author as very good

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›