5.0 out of 5 stars Root Boost
I have fine wavy hair that goes flat if it's more than a few inches long. I tried blow drying it different ways, but this is a lot easier to use and the effect is much better.
Published on 24 Sept. 2010 by Sama

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful! EXTREME DAMAGE
Published on 24 Nov. 2012 by angel_night

5.0 out of 5 stars Root Boost, 24 Sept. 2010
Sama (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper (Personal Care)
I was afraid of the difficulty of getting it work well, after all in the video only the easiest part of the head is done. Luckily this is not a problem. When using it, I don't really have to see what I'm doing. I only crimped a few times on the back of my head, didn't even do it twice as shown in the video, only once near the roots. On the sides it is easier to follow a pattern, but I don't think it is really important. I just have to make sure I don't crimp any parts that will be visible. All in all, I was surprised how much volume it created after using it so haphazardly. An unexpected benefit I found is that I don't have to wash my hair every day if I use this. Who would have thought?

Update 4 months after my original review:
I still use this every other day, right after washing and quickly drying my hair. It takes about 2 minutes. I tried to go without it a few times, but my hair looks so much worse, that I just MUST keep using it. I'm afraid I'm addicted... On the plus side, I haven't noticed any damaging on my hair, and I haven't had it cut since August. Without pumping my hair up, by now I'd look awful and would have had to have it cut. So it was a good investment, already paid for itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can anyone recommend one? I have marked this product down to ..., 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper (Personal Care)
They do work! You have to tease out the crimp and you are left with quite a frizzy texture, but that's what give the body. Make sure you use a Thermal protection spray. I wish I could find one which holds as well as protects. Can anyone recommend one?

I have marked this product down to 4 stars as I am now on my second pair. The ceramic coating was starting to wear away exposing the metal. I found that my hair was sticking to the plates EEEK! If this happens STOP USING THEM!!! They have reached the end of their life!

I have actually sent a message to Babyliss to find out how best to care for the plates so that the coating does not wear off my new pair. I was cleaning them with facial wipes (killing two birds with one stone) and I'm wondering now if that shortened their life. I'll update my review if Babyliss reply.

**************UPDATE****************

Wow, got a reply next day off Babyliss, that's good customer service. Here is what they said...

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems with the coating on your Root Boost. We would advise to clean the plates by using a small amount of neat shampoo on a slightly damp cloth and this will remove any residue that is on the plates.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information.

Kind regards,
Nicola
Conair Customer Care Centre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babyliss Root Boost, 9 Sept. 2010
This review is from: BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper (Personal Care)
I have never wrote a review before. I have very fine hair and have tried every lotion and potion to give me some root lift, i have never found a product which has worked. I bought the root boost last week and have found it really does give root lift which lasts even till the next day.

I am very pleased with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful! EXTREME DAMAGE, 24 Nov. 2012
This review is from: BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper (Personal Care)
I bought this product 2 years ago and when I first started to use it, I LOVED IT. I am a massive fan of big hair and this gave me such fantastic volume, I instantly fell in love with it. It was quick and easy to use and was fab for the price. The volune lasted amazing (right through to the next wash). I was so in love with it I added it to my morning routine every day or every other day. For 3-4 months it was fantastic and I hadn't noticed any damage.

One day after washing my hair I noticed there seemed to be a small patch of har by my ear that had broken off to about 2 inches in length. I was confused and decided that I must have accidentally shaved it off as I am so clumsy and always brushing myhair back from my face. But the patch grew and then the same thing happened to the other side of my hair. There was onl one explanation. The length of thebhair was the xact same length as the Babyliss root boost after 2 rows of crimps. The hair that I had been using it on everyday for the poast 3-4 months had jst given u (hir grows about 0.5 inches a month, so the new hair I had started using it on when I purchased the product had dealt with it every timeit was used). Aded to this, over the next few months as I lost mroe andmore, the only hair that I lost, was that which I had use theroot boost on. My top layers were absolutely fine. 2 years on and my hair has grown back (though I still need to wait another year to have the originl length back), but the whole experience was horrible. I was worried I wouldlose all of my hair and I regret so much using the root boost to the extent that I did. Yes, the results are fantasic, inthe short term, but in the long term, if you use thi product everyday/every other day, I would say you rally need to try your best to wean yourself off it.

My hair has always dealt with straightners and it sll grows and I coniditon with good prducts. This was the newest hair (and not straightned because of the root boost use) that broke off, so it was not to do with straightners.

Please, BE CAREFUL with this product. It can cause EXTREME DAMAGE. Yes, use it on the odd occassion for an event, but please don't use it everyday; no matter how fabulus it makes you look and feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Grail Of Root Lift!, 22 May 2011
This review is from: BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper (Personal Care)
The haters of this product have not used them enough times to review it in my opinion.
My hair looks fantastic and holds volume ALL DAY!

Bye bye backcombed rats nest at the back of my head that ends up in a flat tattered pancake after half an hour! This REALLY works.

I blow-dry my hair in the evening and use the root boost the morning after, giving my hair time to settle.
I have never had so much volume in my hair and am SO impressed. My hair is very fine but I have it in abundance. Getting volume in my hair has been my biggest struggle, and this has finally solved this issue.

I would recommend prepping with a heat protecting lotion after washing your hair, even if you let your hair dry naturally. The root boost heats up really quickly, has a long lead and is idiot proof to use. Just need to practice a few times, and be patient.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit overrated, 13 Aug. 2011
This review is from: BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper (Personal Care)
I was led to buy this based on all the positive reviews I'd read and though it does work for me the results are a bit too subtle. I think a bigger crimper would be better personally

4.0 out of 5 stars Good volume boost, 22 Sept. 2014
StarryNight (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper (Personal Care)
This is a decent tool for boosting hair volume. I have very long fine hair and this certainly makes a noticeable difference. Initially I found it a bit hard to do it in way that ensured that no crimps showed through (otherwise it looks soooo strange) but with practice I can now do it properly!

I do advise not using it everyday to keep your hair healthy and to use a weekly intensive conditioner to keep your hair in tip top shape!

5.0 out of 5 stars These really work!, 25 Oct. 2010
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fabulous! I have been trying to create big hair recently but it falls flat after an hour or two. I have tried back combing which made my hair tuggy and tangled. I use my straighteners at the roots but my hair has a big ridge on it. I have also been using the huge velcro rollers. They are good but only if you put them in in the completely correct position; they also take ages to set.
These root-lifters do the best job by far, in a fraction of the time and the style lasts until you wash your hair again. You can go for it by doing lots of your scalp or just have some height at the top. They really work fantastically. They are easy to use and they heat up rapidly. My only concern is if they're safe for people with fine hair (my hair is thick and they have done no damage to it)
These are exactly what I've been looking for and they work so well. Come on girls, we're worth it and we can all have hair like Cheryl now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy solution to flat hair, 14 Nov. 2010
S. J. Mitchell (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit, I'm stunned. I really honestly didn't think this would work. I have what my grandmother charmingly referred to as nine hairs and a nit and, since I started to straighten my hair it's as flat as a pancake. I had images in my head of walking along the road, the wind catching my hair and whipping it up in the air to reveal a layer of crimping!

In actual fact, the crimps are so narrow and on such a small area of your head, right next to the roots that it's impossible to see them. I had a bit of a fight with it at first until I realised that it was better to straighten your hair, then crimp underneath instead of the other way round (crimping first means you spend half your time re-crimping the flat bits that you straightened after they were initially crimped! Frustrating and very time consuming...)

So when I looked in the mirror, half of me expected to see absolutely no difference whatsoever, and the other half of me expected a Dynasty-esque bouffant effect. In fact it was neither. This crimper gives just a nice little bit of volume without it looking ridiculous. It'll take a bit of practise to get to grips with it, as it still makes my morning routine a good bit longer but that will improve in time and is well worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm going back to 80's big hair !, 16 Nov. 2010
Get Real "Butterfly_Brand" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I was younger, I had the standard 80's big hair which was all the rage at the time. As I have got older, my hair has become quite fine and I have tried various hair products to give me some root lift & give me a more full head of hair. I have never found a product which has worked well before until now. I bought this and have found it really does give me a root lift which lasts throughout a whole evening. I love the feeling of volume that this gives. It really has given me a confidence boost as I feel so good when my hair looks this good - and it does. I am delighted with this product. At a price comparable to a single trip to a hairdresser, it is great value for money. Get one !

BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper