VINE VOICEon 2 August 2011
I have never forgotten seeing these two on TV originally and was delighted to find this collection. Lynda la Plante can do no wrong in my eyes and I am still of the same opinion having watched these again. Brilliant and worth every penny.
on 2 December 2011
I purchased this for my sister in law. She is an avid Lynda La Plante fan and I remember these series from the 80s/90s.
We are both enjoying watching these over again. Tho a little bit dated the plot and characters are as fresh today as back in the day.
Good old classic drama from one of our greatest crime writers.
on 5 March 2012
I lost a whole weekend watching this , I can tell you, well worth it,
even followed by She's Out Fantastic, I will watch it again
It does not dissapoint.
on 18 February 2013
What can i say the first series i remember getting hooked on. Dolly has just the right amount of menace to be believeable. The other wives vary from the unstable Shirley, to can keep her Pants on, and of cours Bella as tough as Dolly. The way they plan the robbery and what happens along the way is still compelling t,v.
Shes out was very under par compaired to Widows the old Dolly would have seen the ending coming a mile off i did.
on 30 January 2015
This is a fascinating collection from wonderful scriptwriters,a wonderful novelist and a wonderful cast,most of whom I believe were relative unknowns.
While 'Widows is a pefectly drawn picture of the consequences of betrayal of a criminal mastermind by her criminal husband,and the consequent tragedies which ultimately ensue,'She's Out' is something else.
Here is a taught drama which moves along like a Sophoclean tragedy.Two 'heroines'. On one side some intelligence limited by her past and imbued with furious jealousy and impatience while the tragedy of our protagonist,Dolly, is that she is so much smarter than everyone else.
But she cannot see what envy and hatred can do in people she thinks she can trust out of her own and their self interest.The range of characters is spectacular.A Lesbian Doctor delisted because of Drugs,A 30 year old prostitute with the mind of a teenager,a young gir desperate for lovel having an affair with the Policeman brother of one of Dolly's colleauges who was killled in 'Widows'.Every character is superbly written and performed.
Bravo Lynda La Plante.All your novels should be filmed.

superbly dra
Lyda La Plante is a National Treasure.We can only hope that the powers that be finance all her books in the 'Above Suspicion' vein will be filmed in future.
on 26 March 2016
Ok Series 1 hold up due to the acting, series 2 well where do I start, Debbie Bishop replaced Eva Morely as the feisty Bella Reilly, so Bella suddenly becomes the least convincing character. But the wort part for me 2 discs of episodes 4-6 and no episodes 1-3, so no Linda and Dolly sparking off each other!

About to start on She's Out lets hope all the episodes are there.
on 31 January 2015
Bought this as I can remember my gran watching this when I was very small . I was always sent upstairs as was too young to watch it .so when I spotted it on amazon I had to buy it . It arrived today and so far I have watched 3 episodes .. I'm glued to it and can't wait to watch the rest.
on 13 August 2012
The Lynda La Plante Collection - Widows/She's Out [DVD]

I was very disappointed with the discs in series two of Widows. The sound quality was appalling. I had to turn the volumne up to practically maximum to hear it. Series one was still of low quality but was ok. I have yet to see what 'She's Out' sounds like. I love everything Lynda La Plante writes and enjoyed watching all her television adaptations. Widows was fantastic. Ann Mitchell was born to play Dolly Rawlins!! Excellent performance. It was a pity when transferred to DVD that subtitles were not put onto it then the sound quality wouldnt have been such a problem.
on 9 August 2013
Every episode in better quality than some of the newer shows! La Plante has a great prose and the choice of cast was perfect too. I had forgotten how good this show was, and I had never seen She's Out so that was a massive bonus. For this price it is an absolute steal.

Buy it now.
on 4 September 2011
lynda la plante is allways on top form her writing the very best after 60 years in the industry isay thank god for lynda by the way this was a duplicate buy to give to a friend thank youEH