4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy adventure on the cheap!
Published on 18 Oct 2011 by George Stobbart

3.0 out of 5 stars Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom
This is the first PS3 game I've tried, I got it because it said, "Explore a beautiful world." on the box, so I thought I'd have a fair degree of freedom to go whereever I liked, and choice to choose what to do next. Instead the game is very linear, you can look around a little, but mostly you're forced down a fairly narrow path.

I did think the game would be...
Published on 16 Nov 2011 by SilvaDreams

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy adventure on the cheap!, 18 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
I got this for £9.99 about a month ago because I fancied a story led adventure game and at first I couldn't get into it. The graphics were quite standard (you start in a pretty drab castle) and the gameplay seemed to be the norm. I was close to giving it into a game shop for credit, but I stayed with it a bit longer and the story with the Majin which had us venturing out into bright and colourful worlds to destroy four evil guardians got me hooked and I started to really enjoy it. Sometimes the game controls can get a bit frustrating, with the Majin not doing exactly what you want too, but if you like your fantasy adventure games on the cheap its worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great adventure. A sequel would be a great new..., 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
This "Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom" is one of the best adventures in recent times. It`s close to the zelda type of game. Charming characters, puzzle areas, platforming... Mixed with action and a light rpg component. The world where the story takes place is well designed, clever areas and puzzles, always with emphasis in cooperative ways to solve situations. The game lets you play as a little magician, controllig him directly. And you have a partner, The Majin, that reacts to simple orders and enviroments. And all seems fluid, no AI problems, good character development, nice puzzles and satisfying team action.

The storytellig, while not very intrincate, delivers a charming tale, far better than usual. Technically is not a prodigy. Textures could have been better, and graphics are a bit blocky and bland. But highly compensated by its artistic creativity. The developers, "Game Republic" (folklore, knights contract...), are a well known small japaness studio. Always with good and interesting ideas. And sometimes they become great games. As a personal ranking, in the present HD ready generation, Majin would be for sure in the top ten.

3.0 out of 5 stars Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom, 16 Nov 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)

I did think the game would be far better when I first started playing, and there are still things I like about it :- The story line, the idea of saving the wildlife and nature from the evil darkness, the animals that talk, the developing relationship with the 'monster'. I also enjoy the fact that the game is atmosperic without being gory or really nasty, when you kill an enemy there isn't lots of blood or stuff. Mostly the controlls are quite simple to grasp, even for someone like me who fails miserably at most fighting games, fights are not too hard. There are some annoyances with the controlls though. Some are needlessly fiddly, such as having to hold down a button all the time while sneaking. Others just don't work too well, such as the monster not always doing what you want him to when you want him to, controlling him could have been better. Also he does have a tendancy to get in the way at times.

When enemies aren't around the game has a fairly relaxed laid back feel to it, almost to the point of getting a little dull or slow moving. As I progress further into the world I am disappointed at how empty it feels, almost generic, I'm hoping it will improve.

This is a fairly fun game, with a nice story, characters that you will come to care about, some interesting elements, and some that could have been done better. Worth trying for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Budget Zelda, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
Bit of an overlooked gem this one, drawing gameplay elements from the pantheon of adventure games whilst adding very little of its own. If you've played Zelda or one of its many clones (Okami, Darksiders, etc, etc) then you'll know what to expect, the twist being here that you have a big vegetable giant or something with you that you can order around...a bit. Your pal acts as both a special combat move and puzzle solution depending on the situation and whilst you won't find yourself caring as much about him as you did about Yorda in Ico (or even the horse in Shadow of the Colossus) it is always nice to have a friend! There really isn't much more to say about this game than that, it looks pretty enough (in a very Japanese way) and whilst you won't be blown away by the combat there is far worse on offer out there. In many ways this is a bit of a security blanket of a game, not too taxing (just enough to make you feel clever) and with enough nods to gaming history to give you a nice warm sense of nostalgia. This game is best enjoyed on cold winter nights with a nice warm cup of cocoa!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, 16 Dec 2011
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this game on a whim and I'm really glad I did. It was one of the new games I played to the end last year. Now I'm buying it for a friend for the holidays.

The gameplay reminds of Castlevania SOTN: you wander a maze of interconnected segments and have to discover new abilities to open new doors and adavance, etc. The puzzles are excellent and well contrived, the atmosphere is great, the enemies are challenging- overall, very enjoyable. I know many reviewers complained about the giant's voice, but you don't need to speak with him if it bothers you.

Highly recommended for those who love Action RPGs

3.0 out of 5 stars Swings and misses.., 7 April 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
I've been playing this game a couple of hours, just beaten the first boss, and whilst the game is an interesting idea, and the co-operation between the two characters is mostly well executed, there are a few niggles that get in the way of really enjoying this game.

Firstly the player character, Tepeu, seems unwilling to respond to commands at short notice - want to run to the edge of a gap to jump across? Don't, because he gets to the edge and thinks to himself *well it's a bit late to tell me to do that, I'm going to just run off the edge*. Obviously after a while you get used to needing to jump a couple of seconds before you want to, but I expect better from a game where considerable effort has been put in to originality. The second thing is the fact the Majin (the big monster thing) is slow. Really, really slow. Lumbering around 100 yards behind you is normally fine, but waiting for him to catch up to co-op with him adds up - especially when you need him to advance the plot. I appreciate he's supposed to come across as slow and powerful (in fact he seems to be mentally 'slow' too), but when foes four times his size can dance around him there's no reason to have him lag behind so much.

Aside these two gripes the game is entertaining enough, and is certainly playable despite its flaws. Although Tepeu lacks personality and is easily forgotton, Majin has more than enough, and whilst the graphics are far from perfect (Tepeu again feels like an afterthought), the story is attractive. Worth a play, if the price is right, but never going to be a classic, and I can't imagine it having great re-play value. If you didn't enjoy the demo, then avoid completely, it doesn't get any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good game for all the family, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
This game has really been missed. It's challenging and clever at the same time. I would buy a sequel with no hesitation. Well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
Bought this for my sister, and have watched her play it. Great graphics, good storyline and interesting characters. Keeps my sister entertained for hours. Great to buy as a gift or for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
A well written story line with good quality game play suitable for everybody.
Its a pity the software house is no longer in business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally found this game after years, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) (Video Game)
I've been looking for this game for years and was so happy when I got it. Played though it and got all the trophies, but when it came to downloading the DLC it didn't work because the game is not the right region. If you don't mind not playing that if you're in the U.K. I would say defiantly buy it.

Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3)
Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) by Namco Bandai (PlayStation 3)