5.0 out of 5 stars ROCKING ALL OVER THE STATES
This is the lonnng awaited official digital release of the award winning movie that chronicled the King's april 1972 concert tour. Fans had long been lobbying for this release and now we have it in two formats - DVD and Blu-ray. I received my Blu-ray through a friend and was almost speechless when I played it in my brand new blu-ray player.

It was almost like...
Published on 27 Jan. 2011 by tommyboo

2.0 out of 5 stars Warner Has Left the Building!
Published on 18 Aug. 2010 by Scott T. Rivers

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCKING ALL OVER THE STATES, 27 Jan. 2011

It was almost like watching Elvis On Tour for the first time, especially noticeable when the opening song Johnny B Goode was annoyingly replaced by Don't Be Cruel as a result of copyright issues. It seems Mr Chuck Berry strangely wouldn't allow it this time!

In this movie, Elvis looks and sounds every bit The King. By 1972, he had done it all and was at the top of his profession. And he knew it, almost to the point of cockiness. The fans were wildly ecstatic and screamed their lungs out anywhere he went all across America.

The blue-ray format digs deep and brings out sound and vision detail not heard and seen before. The music is heavy and just about every instrument is heard - much unlike the original horrible tin-can mono sound. Since 1969, Elvis had employed a full orchestra to back him and this new version does true justice to the brilliant musicians in his band.

Elvis performs a few of his old hits but mainly contemporary songs belonging to other artists, such as Proud Mary, Polk Salad Annie, Bridge Over Troubled Water, and a powerful Never Been to Spain . What comes across glaringly in Elvis On Tour is how far Elvis had developed since his recordings in 1954. His transformation from the rockabilly singer to this flashy and almost alien rock mega-star is unbelievable.

There are no special features or bonus material to tantalise, but beggars cannot be choosers. I'm quite happy to have what I have after such a long long wait, and even happier to know that any extra material may appear later in the same format. So something to look forward to at least.

The blue-ray price may be higher than other formats but the quality is superior in every way. Do not hesitate. Fan or not, get this movie in blu-ray or DVD and enjoy Elvis Presley the superstar at his greatest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Polish not frenetic, 1 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Elvis on Tour [DVD] (DVD)
When Elvis returned to the stage the concerts were high octane and he was clearly working hard to reestablish himself. This comes from the era where the shows had settled down and were more professional but more of a routine. To an extent Elvis is beginning to act at being Elvis and settle into a new stage persona.

The music remains good if slicker rather than spontaneous and it is good to have this on DVD overcoming the limitations of the VHS format. However the failure to accurately reproduce the movie release is annoying and I really feel there should have been some bonus features. As RCA have receded into the distance and we now have records released with imagination and some attempt to set Elvis in context within himself and the era so we should have more effort with the movies.

Nevertheless worth getting but let's all hope for a "collector's edition"/"Director's cut" or the rest of the nonsense about releasing what "it" should always have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars elvis at his very best, 29 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Elvis On Tour [VHS] (VHS Tape)
elvis on tour focuses on the king's 1972 tour of the southern states. here we find the elvis in perfect form, just proir to his historic madison square garden concerts, the on tour film won the 1972 golden globe for best documentary, and interestingly was worked on by martin scorsese. elvis on tour sees elvis perform many of his classic hits such as burnin love, american trilogy, and love me tender. but the best, and most frequently used songs on the video are lesser known presley classics such as see see rider, you gave me a mountain, and his unbelievable rendition of bridge over troubled water. elvis on tour arguably shows the king at his best, although the 68 special, 69 vegas shows, anything from 1970, and march 74 tour are also contenders. if you want a real treat, elvis fan or not, buy this video

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis On Tour, 9 July 2011
Mrs. H. M. Marshall (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elvis on Tour [DVD] (DVD)
I had been looking forward to seeing Elvis On tour on DVD for a long time. I have a copy on VHS but the picture on the DVD is improved as you would expect although I did think the DVD was very slightly darker than the tape. I was disappointed that copyright problems meant that the DVD opened with Elvis singing "Don't Be Cruel" instead of "Johnny B Goode", the second disappointment was the complete lack of extras from the filming of Elvis On Tour and such outtakes do exist. Hopefully a second edition will be issued with some more material on it.

On the positive side, it was great to see Elvis singing on stage, he was in great form.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elvis did his bit, a pity Warner Bros didn't do theirs., 29 Dec. 2014
Great film, looks and sounds that little bit better in BluRay, but not that big a difference that I was dumbstruck. The powers that be always let Elvis down in some way, shape or form when it comes to Elvis product; and the lack of a sound worthy of the 'Tru-HD' label in addition to the appalling lack of features/outtakes on this disc makes this no exception.
The real disgrace here though is the simply awful way 'Jonny B Goode' has been replaced (due to copyright reasons) by the, frankly mystifying, live version of 'Don't be Cruel', which isn't particularly good anyway, doesn't fit the brilliant action shots in the opening sequence and is too short, so it plays on a loop! Amateur hour; who the hell made that decision? Moron.

I have always felt that the original Elvis on Tour video/DVD releases should have been mixed a lot better, and the colour balance I always felt left poor ol' Elvis looking a bit pasty (presumably due to the age of the film stock); with this BluRay, Warner's could have rectified that with a really decent clean up, but given the lack of so many other things on this release, it is clear they just couldn't be bothered.
If you have never seen this film before, then you may not care about the points above, but if you have and were looking for something special, then don't bother and stick to your old version of it. There are bootleggers out there who care a lot more and offer a much better final product.

Of course, it is still an excellent, award winning film showing Elvis at a time when he simply wiped the floor with all competition and became the ultimate live performer, hence the four stars but I can't give it five on the basis of it being a poor BluRay product.

4.0 out of 5 stars on tour blue ray, 10 Aug. 2010
All I can say is wow. Watched the blue ray edition last night and eventhough we have watched on Tour a hundred times the blue ray is dazzeling. Elvis looks great, his stage costumes look spectacular and the interaction with the band is great. You can now actually see the band behind him clearly and catch all the banter with Elvis. The sound is great and the kings voice sounds even better. Looking forward to a delux edition in a few years with all the missing footage. Recommended to all, not just fans of the King.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warner Has Left the Building!, 18 Aug. 2010
Scott T. Rivers (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
No bonus footage, no theatrical trailer, no "Johnny B. Goode." Even though Warner Home Video slashed their restoration budget due to the poor economy, they could have given "Elvis on Tour" (1972) the royal DVD treatment. They simply didn't care. Elvis fans have every right to feel ripped off, but uninitiated viewers probably won't mind. However, Presley's final film deserved much better. Save your money and wait for the inevitable two-disc "special edition."

5.0 out of 5 stars elvis on tour, 3 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Elvis On Tour [VHS] (VHS Tape)
i think that elvis on tour is the best concert of all time, it even beats aloha from hawaii, it shows elvis at his best and at his worst durin his 1972 tour. the songs Burning Love and Bridge over troubled water were done brilliantly by the king, The best song in the video in my opinion is you gave me a mountain, so overall this video is brilliant and i suggest anyone to see it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Elvis On Tour', 15 Jan. 2010
F. B. Quinn (Caddington, Bedfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elvis On Tour [VHS] (VHS Tape)
'Elvis On Tour' documents Elvis on Tour in the U.S.A. in 1972. It is an excellent documentary but suffers from being in the 'letterbox format'for many of the live performances. This version is on VHS. However, the following should be noted and it may be better to wait for the Blu-ray or DVD version.

From the Elvis Presley Enterprises Website.

This Fall (2010) Elvis on Tour is coming to DVD and dazzling Blu-ray high definition - for the first time ever. Featuring electric performances from Elvis' 1972 tour, this Golden Globe winning documentary captures the raw energy and excitement of Elvis' best live performances. In celebration of Elvis' 75th birthday year, a 17-film Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD box set is also planned, which will include ELVIS ON TOUR, VIVA LAS VEGAS, JAILHOUSE ROCK and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Didin't Throw My Video Player Away Cos Of This Film, 23 Sept. 2010
Why so long? Why?

I've been an Elvis fan since I was 5. I have other issues but I won't go into them here.

I grew up listening to my folks 45's which included Jailhouse Rock, Treat Me Nice, All Shook Up, Hound Dog, You're The Devil In Disguise, Please Don't Drag The String Around, Now's The Time To Fall In Love (ok, that was Cliff Richard, and although it's his best effort to date I'm thankfully long over that faze) and my fascination began.

Within a year of me discovering Elvis Presley he went and died. How could he be dead? He sounded so young. And I'd just discovered One-Sided Love Affair! Gutted.

I then forced my parents to buy me Elvis albums at every oppotunity until I was old enough to steal from them and buy it myself (only joking...).

But I didn't become a REAL fan until I saw this film.

I'd seen the brilliant 'That's The Way It Is' so I knew there was more to Elvis than the the pre-army material but I think it was around the time of the 10th anniversary of his death and the BBC were showing his films every night. You know, the usual garbage, Girls, Girls, Girls, Fun In Acapulco, Kid 'bloody awful' Galahad.

And then one night they showed Elvis On Tour. Wow. That caught me off guard. Ok now. So that's Elvis. THAT'S ELVIS. Blue suit, Polk Salad Annie, Jerry Scheff solo. He was even better than I realised.

People can knock Elvis. Let them. But really, watch his performances in this film, it doesn't get any better. And it's not Vegas!

The only bad reviews you'll read of this film are due to product, price, availability etc. Not the film.

I don't know why it has taken so long for this to be released on DVD/Blu-ray when all those rubbish films he made have been available for years. It proves the people in charge are clueless or very clever about Elvis releases. Probably clueless.

I have kept my video player for years just so I could still watch this film, recorded off the BBC in 1987, which misses the opening (my fault) and starts with Polk Salad Annie. Wow!

Elvis on Tour [DVD]
Elvis on Tour [DVD] by Elvis Presley (DVD - 2010)