5.0 out of 5 stars WE'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER VOICE
Published on 13 Jun 2010 by Barry McCanna

3.0 out of 5 stars So vair vair English!
The first disc has a stereo "My fair lady" that does nt sound as good as my 50`s mono lp. Disc two The "Floral dance" is so beautifully pronounced I had a big smile on my face. And the kiddies lp is cute. A good value package
Published on 8 May 2011 by A L Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars WE'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER VOICE, 13 Jun 2010
Barry McCanna (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Four Classic Albums (My Fair Lady / Julie Andrews Sings / The Lass With The Delicate Air / Tell It Again) (Audio CD)
This is an eclectic compilation which brings together four very different albums. The 1959 stereo version of "My Fair Lady" features of course not just Julie in the role of Eliza Doolittle, but also Stanley Holloway as her father, and Rex Harrison as Professor Henry Higgins, to name but two. She was just twenty-three when she recorded "Julie Andrews Sings" and "The Lass with the Delicate Air". The first features songs from the Great American Songbook (plus one by Noel Coward), and the second more traditional pieces (including one by Coward again). The final album "Tell It Again" (sub-titled "Songs of Sense and Nonsense") on which Julie and Martyn Green were accompanied by Julius Baker and Moondog. is the most surprising. Any one of the four is worth the asking price.

4.0 out of 5 stars With all things considered...., 13 Oct 2010
AsianCharm "AC" (Frisco, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
There is a number of European record labels pop up recently, which are specialized in re-issuing albums that were made before the sixties (thus no longer under the subject of copyright protection). In U.K., there are Emporium, Jasmine, Flare, Sepia, Soho and now came Avid, Avid Easy, Avid Jazz. In Germany, there are History, Membran, Dynamic Entertainment, Document, etc.

I have been purchasing individual CDs and CD sets from these labels for the past couple of years, and must say that the sonic quality and the digital remastering are extremely uneven and unpredictable. I would guess that the problem stems from what kind of analog sound storage mediums have actually been used in the digital remastering process: original master, magnetic tape, 33" or 78" phonography record, TV/radio broadcast, soundtrack, etc.

The present Four Classic Albums of Julie Andrews is a very good example. Of the four albums, the one that has the best sonic quality is TELL IT AGAIN: SONGS OF SENSE & NONSENSE, perhaps the original master, or a magnetic tape with a good transfer was used in the digital remastering process. The sonic quality of MY FAIR LADY is poor when it is compared to the dynamic 40th Anniversary Edition (ASIN: B001VRDRHY) issued under the LEGACY label by SONY/BMG.

Even though I do not have the Japanese CD/digital pressing of both JULIE ANDREWS SINGS and THE LASS WITH THE DELICATE AIR, I do have the same CDs issued by Flare which came out last year for comparison. I must say neither labels did a good job in remastering these two albums, perphas the original masters for these two albums have not been used or were available.

With all things considered, I still recommend buying this CD because you can't get Julie's TELL IT AGAIN album elsewhere easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contrasting albums from the fifties, 2 Jun 2014
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a strange compilation, bringing together a classic soundtrack (My fair lady) that is fine in its way, but doesn't feature Julie as much as the headline might suggest, two of Julie's solo albums that are absolutely magnificent (Julie Andrews sings, Lass with the delicate air) and a children's album (Tell it again) that isn't like any other children's album I've heard.

Anybody who is interested in My fair lady probably already knows the songs, some of which are outstanding, I'm less keen on the comedy than the music, but if you enjoy the comedy as much as the music, you're in for a real treat.

The next album, simply titled Julie sings, features a mix of familiar (I'm old fashioned, Cheek to cheek, It might as well be spring) and more obscure songs, mostly from the Great American Songbook, in her own style. Excellent.

Even better is The lass with the delicate air, which finds Julie singing mostly traditional folk songs, but in her own style for a pop music audience. I particularly like Floral dance (which sounds very different with Julie singing), London Pride and O the days of Kerry dancing, but this album is outstanding from start to finish.
I struggle with the children's album, the full title of which is Songs of sense and nonsense - Tell it again. On this, Julie is joined by Martyn Green for nursery rhymes and lullabies. I've listened to and enjoyed a lot of children's music, including nursery rhymes and lullabies, but I don't "get" this one at all.

The quality of the first three albums featured here, especially the second and third, are worth the price alone, but while I have misgivings about the fourth album, the first three deserve nothing less than five stars..

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good songs because they say a lot!, 5 Aug 2013
My favorite song is since being in a lot.
What you like should be on many dislikes are few.
I recommend to friends and acquaintances many.

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish, 26 Nov 2012
I was looking for one of these albums on CD 6 years ago. Julie was my mother's favourite singer and I wanted to play a couple of tracks at her funeral but I couldn't. Now I just have some happy memories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop with good vocal qualities, 3 Nov 2012
George Cukor made an excellent film based on the George Bernard Shaw play "Pygmalion". Audrey Hepburn was cast in the role of Eliza. It is hard to imagine an actress who would interpret this role better. The songs of Eliza were performed perfectly well. However, they were not sung by Audrey Hepburn. Julie Andrews did not sing them in the movie, but her interpretation on the tracks of the AVID album is as good as it can be. All the recordings in this album are perfect and enjoyable. To my liking, a small section at the end of disc two is less satisfactory than the rest of the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 12 Sep 2011
With 4 original albums on 2 CDs this is a cross section of what Julie Andrews was about and on Tell It Again sees her working with New York poet and Outsider MOONDOG for a selection of Nursery Rhymes and Lullabies.Its not the first time she's appeared in another guise.In the 80s came an album of duets for which she and Johnny Cash did a version of Love Me Tender
CD 2 is the most interesting as The Lass With The Delicate Air sees her in the Palm Court for 15 songs which include The Floral Dance and To A Wild Rose
Without aiming singles at the pop charts Julie Andrews was nevertheless part of the first British Invasion before it was named that and was whisked off to America in the mid 50s to appear in the film of My Fair Lady which opened on Broadway.
Julie Andrews made the kind of albums you would expect her to have made thus the Great American Songbook,one of folk songs and 3 Christmas albums which all fit in with her prim & proper image which she never abandoned.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essence of Julie Andrews!, 7 Jun 2011
If you love Julie this could be an essential set for you.
As has been said before,some of these discs(singly) are selling at various places on the net for high sums.
These discs find Julie at the time in her career that I like her voice most.
One small note~
The "My Fair Lady" disc is in (early?) Stereo,the London cast recorded (in London) in 1959,whereas the Broadway cast(1956) recording is in Mono,and the step to Stereo DOES make a difference.The main cast members,Andrews,Harrison,Holloway & Coote are unchanged.
I find this London cast recording better than the Broadway one.I don't know if that is because the Stereo sounds better,or just because after a long run on Broadway the cast are more secure in their roles?
Of course at the rock bottom Amazon price this is all a bit academic,just buy it,and enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars So vair vair English!, 8 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Nov 2010
Julie Andrews' perfect voice and 4 great CDs for a great price. I am very pleased with this purchase