5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking story of childhood in care
How Patsy Whyte came through this & out the other side i'll never know.

I found this book via KUF, purchased & then sat down all day & night & into the next morning reading it, ignoring everything else around me.

Published on 28 Dec 2010 by C

3.0 out of 5 stars Deterred by the style rather than the content
Published on 21 Jan 2011 by TopCat

3.0 out of 5 stars Deterred by the style rather than the content, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
I found this book being recommended on a forum and when I read the product description thought it sounded fascinating and moving. This book is the author's debut autobiography (apparently a second book continuing her story is planned) and tells of how she was taken from her traveller family at a young age, and details her experiences in childrens' homes and hostels. Not only does she have to contend with the cruel, detached house mother but also the negative attention her family's reputation brings. She gets herself removed from care at 15 and struggles to live without a family or the state supporting her. At the end she has reached 16 and we find out a litte about what happens to her later in life in the epilogue.

Firstly I ought to say I have tremendous respect for the author, it must have taken a lot of courage to dredge up most of these memories and then share them with the public. I found the early part of the book very moving and cannot imagine how life must have been for young children growing up without love and affection in an institution. I think having a young daughter myself made it really hit home. I was also interested in reading about Patsy's visions of spirits, but felt that after the theme was introduced it was never really developed.

Unfortunately I went into this book expecting something it wasn't largely because of the product description, "She rubbed shoulders with the rich and powerful and the poorest in the land, and drifted into a world of violence, prostitution and drugs which almost claimed her life." All these elements played a part in her life but this statement lead me to expect something different, it almost makes it sound like she fell into the underworld when in fact she was a young woman who struggled to keep a job and a roof above her head and was subjected to domestic violence. It doesn't make the story bad, just not what I thought it would be.

Overall it was an eye-opening account of a woman who was failed by the system, but I found the writing style a bit too much "tell" and while I don't doubt some of the incidents must have been very painful to recount, to me the way some incidents were written meant they weren't entirely clear, leaving me a little confused as to what had actually happened. On the kindle every page had big spaces between paragraphs, and the paragraphs themselves were short and staccato leaving a lot of (off) white space. The snappy telling worked at the beginning, because it seemed to fit with how a young child might feel in such distressing circumstances but didn't sit comfortably with me later on. I had expected it to make me quite emotional but it was all quite matter of fact and didn't have quite the impact I thought it might. I'm afraid this isn't a book I would readily recommend (and as this is an autobiography I feel terrible saying that)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking story of childhood in care, 28 Dec 2010
C (DAVENTRY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
How Patsy Whyte came through this & out the other side i'll never know.

You hear stories of the care system today, but my God, nothing could be as painful & challenging as that of being in care in the 50's & 60's. My eyes welled with tears more than once through this book.

My heart went out to this child & others mentioned in her story & she told of the harsh rules & cruelty {especially the mental cruelty} that was dished out by the "house mothers".

The fear & confusion must have been tremendous for these children, adding to that being split from your siblings at such a young age & not knowing where they are or knowing who they are.

There are some times in this childs life in care that she see's as good ones, happy ones, hopeful ones & i'm glad she managed to feel some of this, but lurking in the background was always a tragic case of metal abuse & intimidation.

I cannot say i loved this book, how could you read this & love it, but you love the child & you want to hopelesly comfort her.
You'll put your hand over your mouth & feel your'e spine go cold on many a page.

It is extremely well written & i would recommend to anyone.

My heart goes out to you Patsy Whyte, not only for you as a child, but for having the courage to re-live this when writing.
At the end of your book you say there were a further eight years, two marriges & five children later before you found your partner of 30 years. I am so glad you finally found love & you're life is more settled & even though there are still ups & downs you no longer walk alone.

I almost feel ashamed to ask if you will be turning to the past once again & writing of those eight years, as i would like to read further into this young girls life.

A definate 5 star plus read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what she was trying to write about, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
I really tried with this book but just didn't get what she was writing about. I am sorry she did not get the up bringing that most people endure but really didn't think it was anything to write a book about. I did feel guilty for not finding anything humble about this book even though I perservered with it until the end. Would not recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Feel guilty for not enjoying it, 1 Feb 2011
BookBliss (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: No Easy Road (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book. I had seen on a few discussion boards someone telling people how great it was and there was a couple of 5 star reviews so I had high hopes.

I have read a few biographies lately by non-celebs and I have tremendous respect for Patsy Whyte and her determination to turn her life around given the upbringing that she had. However, I didn't enjoy this book at all, the problem wasn't with the subject matter (which had the chance of being depressing) it should have been a thought provoking and engaging book which made you want to learn more about Patsy's life. The writing style prevented this from happening. The writing itself was very flat and devoid of feeling and paragraphs jumped about from one place to another. I reached a point where I stopped caring about Patsy and given the subject matter this is the exact opposite of what was needed from a reader. I can see what the author was trying to do and I think with either (a) a better publisher who put more effort into the rewriting and editing or (b) a ghost writer then this book could have been brilliant.

I was also disappointed with the blurb on the back of the book as it really doesn't reflect what the story was about, yes Patsy sees ghosts but each meeting is like a side issue that is mentioned in a couple of sentences and then forgotten about. I had expected this to be a central theme, more like The Sixth Sense given that it's part of the sales pitch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money- its dire., 21 July 2013
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
I bought this for my Kindle as I like true life books, I was sorely disappointed by this one however. The writing style is very poor and quite repetitive. I struggled to read through it but carried on as I felt I should out of respect the the author who clearly has had a rubbish start in life. It ends suddenly which screams of a money spinner sequel before you even turn the last page. All in all a dreadful book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
I've one word for this book "rubbish" , just very boring, kept waiting for it to get just a little interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars strange story, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
Though this story gives a very blunt view of the girl's life it doesn't make a good readable story. It could have been much better written. The story lacked any feeling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never gets going, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
The book never gets going, and it seems like you get half a story all the time. I kept waiting for the point it would develop... it never does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable but harrowing read, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
Once I started reading this book I found it difficult to put down I just wish the epilogue had told us more of her later life

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: No Easy Road (Kindle Edition)
We take a lot for granted in our lives. This book shows us how fortunate some of us are. And I am amazed how Patsy got through it all with her strength and courage.

ARRAY(0xa2686984)