5.0 out of 5 stars Tough enough for the city!
Published on 21 April 2012 by alfablue

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made
Well made and fairly easy to fit. Biggest issue is a ridge in the moulding that increases its thickness that prevents selection of the big chainring. The cranks used are not super low profile but the derailleur cage squeezes the chainguard against the crank arm if the big chainring is engaged.
Published 4 months ago by rtd

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough enough for the city!, 21 April 2012
I bought two of these for our commuter/shopping/pub bikes. We just want to wear normal clothes on these trips and not worry about greasy trouser legs. We bought cheaper Hebie chainguards that lasted about 3 months before the plastic was cracked around the mounting points. Utterly useless for bikes like these that have a hard life in the city! I should have got the more expensive SKS Chainboards in the first place, after 11 months use they are still perfect, having taken all the knocks daily use throws at them. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say! I should have listened to my own advice.

Fitting is reasonably easy if you have the tools(you need a crank removal tool and a bottom bracket tool). If you don't have the tools, inclination or aptitude then pay your bike shop, it is well worth it to have a bike that you can just jump on and go without worry. Like the SKS mudguards, these chain guards are most probably the very best available.

5.0 out of 5 stars sks chain board, 27 Mar 2012
this chain guard seems very strong was easy to fit and looks good. do not bother with 1st. class. post mine took five days to arrive!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best chain guard, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: SKS chainboard hub/chain Universal (Misc.)
I well agree with other 5 stars - rating people.
This is the one I was looking for, so that I wont to buy another extra one because it happened before that I did found the excellent quality chain guard on amazon.

It fits very well with also some adjusting allowance.

Special tools for bottom bracket are rather essential to install this guard, then you will be happy with the appearance as well as the performance.

German made, highly durable, highly recommended item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to identify the correct size, 14 July 2013
Replacement chain-guards are not easy items to source, even in the days of the Internet. Bought this from Amazon, and it arrived reasonably quickly, given it had an interesting trip around Europe to get to my front door! The main problem is the size guide only relates to the number of teeth on the drive cog, which is not all that helpful. Even the company's website (search for SKS Germany) does not readily reveal the maximum and minimum dimensions the guard adjusts to; a problem to know therefore which of the 3 sizes of guard they make to purchase.

It does have a clever sliding mechanism that allows for the front to back dimension to be altered by a couple of cms. When fitting it to my city bike, I found it to be larger than expected, and the supplied adapters to attach the rear of the guard did not suit my bike. To get the best possible result, I fabricated a bracket myself out of aluminium strip, and this worked well, but is clearly not something everyone would wish to do. It would also help those less familiar with bike maintenance if the description emphasised that in order to fit the guard the pedals and bottom bracket need to be removed, and this requires specialist tools.

Overall, I am pleased with the appearance on my bike: it just fits the available space, looks smart, avoids looking incompatible in terms of style, and works well as a chain-guard. Only time will tell its durability, but at least it isn't all plastic like the original guard that failed after about 10 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save its worth in trousers!, 19 April 2014
Over the years I've spent so much on replacing oily trousers and bike clips. Now I don't bother with either thanks to this. To fit it you need to take the bottom bracket off. Fitting it is not for the faint hearted, I needed special bike tool to do it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 Dec 2013
Bike shop gacve up attempting to fit it to a three ratio touring bike after trying it every which way. It's not as 'universal' as you might expect ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made, 14 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 23 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (surrey , united kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ok for a bit of plastic its clearly not cheap is it but I have to say it fits well and it does look smart. I have a 3 ring frt crank, largest 48t and didn't need to make a cut out for the front derailleur but there is one you can push out if you need to. Does sit a couple of inches above the chain at the middle and rear, ok at front, so not an exact custom fit if you like but obviously it keeps your trouser leg away from the chain so does the job. Strong feeling but lightweight so doesn't add hardly any weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for protection from mud!!, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: SKS chainboard hub/chain Universal (Misc.)
I bought this not to protection me from oily chains but to protect my mountain bike chain from mud. I have a single chainring hardtail mountain bike which I use for riding in the winter when it is wet and muddy. The front and rear wheels throw mud onto the top of the chain and the chainring which results in a grinding paste which destroys your chainring, chain and rear cassette. I installed this and it provides great protection from the majority of mud thrown onto the bikes transmission. I purchased the 38T version but would ideally have liked to see one from SKS suitable for up to 34T since I only use a 30T chainring.

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite as universal as i would like, 3 Nov 2013
i tried to fit this over a 28-38-48 chainset and it nearly fitted- i just had to cut away a chunk for the front gear change. getting the bottom bracket out to fit the chain guard was a pain but now its all in place its fine.

ARRAY(0xb0b130e4)