• XII

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 August 2010
A few weeks ago I reviewed "Diamonds" by Jonathan Fritzen and pronounced it smooth jazz album of 2010. In my review of his previous album, "VIP," I made the quote "move over Brian Culbertson, there's a new kid on the block."

I feel I must now eat my words because Brian Culbertson has come up with arguably the best album of the last 5 years and without a shadow of a doubt his best album ever.

He has been gradually moving away from the smooth jazz tag over his last couple of projects and now offers an album of diversity that incorporates funk, soul, new age, pop and of course smooth jazz.

The opening track featuring gogo maestro Chuck Brown would have been the best track on his last album "Bringing Back The Funk." We are then treated to guest vocalist Kenny Lattimore on "Another Love" and shortly afterwards guest vocalist Brian McKnight on "Out OnThe Floor." Now, as a lover of real soul music, I hate the dirge like R & B artists of the day but these two singers have successfully transcended that genre and are genuine bonafide soul singers with fantastic voices and credibility and acceptability within soul circles. There is a further vocal track, "Skies Wide Open," featuring Avant, who I am not familiar with but this is another great track, and the lead single. The final vocal offering "Don't You Know Me By Now" is the only track that has me reaching for the skip button.

And so to a clutch of fantastic instrumental tracks. The piano playing on "It's Time" is so powerful you half expect the instrument to bounce through your speakers! "Waiting For you" explores familiar smooth jazz territory, along with "That's Life" featuring Earl Klugh and "I Wanna Love You" featuring Ray Parker Jr, then there is "Forever" which starts off with a solo piano section. The album finishes with the semi instrumental new ageish "I Don't Know."

I cannot recommend this album enough. It is quite simply awesome
on 25 March 2011
Brian Culberton is a fairly new name to me. He has obviously (gleened from other reviews) spent quite a lot of his career making 'smooth jazz' which is a genre we all claim to hate but still secretly find ourselves tapping a toe to at airports, lifts etc.Similar to house music really! Cleary his niche is in 'jazz-funk' which is a term I personally find as repulsive as 'smooth jazz' in my own personal musical encyclopaedia.
What we have here is a nice album of contemporary jazz intertwined with some very soulful (the vocal cuts)and funky moments.His previous outing declared 'Bringing Back The Funk'and in parts this set continues to do just that. It is a very 'old school' album which for me at my age is quite enjoyable.Younger listeners might wonder what all the fuss is about but they would not appreciate that this album is based on musical skill over voice coders,filters and production tricks.
I feel that this album is overall quite a nice experience if just a little too dated in its delivery.The vocal tracks could/will all probably do well in any R'n' B chart and for me this is the dichotomy of this album; the playing and musician ship is superb but at times,like all elevator 'muzak' it is just lacking a little bit of edge and spark.Overall a nice felling of nostalgia but not quite strong enough to crossover into the commercial market.For a middle aged listener this is in my opinion quite a good thing but I personnaly preferred the previous funkier album!
on 27 July 2013
If you like Smooth Jazz, you have to like Culbertson. This is one of his best (but there again aren't they all). A true musician
on 10 October 2013
This artist was one of the choices on the music channel on a recent transatlantic flight. I tracked him down on Amazon and not one of his CDs has let me down yet!! This proper mellow grown up jazz fusion at it very best!!!
on 27 May 2011
I SAW BRIAN CULBERTSON LIVE 3 WEEKS AGO AND BROUGHT THIS CD.
THE INSTRUMENT FOR ME IS THE SAX - HOWEVER BRIAN HAS BROUGHT KEYBOARDS INTO MY LIFE AND HAS CHANGED MY MUSICAL EAR FOREVER.THIS IS AN AWESOME CD AND TRACK TWO FEATURING KENNY LATTIMORE IF PLAYED AT NIGHT CLUBS WOULD FILL THE DANCE FLOOR - TRACK 4 FEATURING BRIAN MCKNIGHT ANOTHER JEM.
I HAVE JUST BROUGHT A SECOND COPY AND GIVEN IT TO A DJ MATE OF MINE FOR HIS USE.
IF YOU LIKE SMOOTH FUNKY JAZZ TREAT YOURSELF YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
on 9 November 2014
I love this album
on 8 February 2011
I already had this CD but purchased it for a friend for her to see what she was missing. Great CD from the first track to the last. Brian is definately back on form with this CD. Well worth every penny.
on 16 November 2013
This is OLD SCHOOL with a new spin,and a banging bass beat. Most of the people that have heard it regardless of them being strangers or friends seem to like it. Worth a listen.
on 9 May 2012
Purchased this Cd to listen to prior to seeing Brian who was performing at the Stables in Milton Keynes.I enjoyed the tracks - some better than others but certainly fans of smooth Jazz will enjoy. Brian and his band were fantastic on the night and If you get a chance to see him live take it! The quality of the music was excellent and you will come away with a big smile. Definately not to be missed and a real talent.
on 23 October 2015