5.0 out of 5 stars I Like it, If only I Knew why
Other the last two years my music taste has changed drastically, I have started to get into Metal, with Groups such as Linkin Park and Lost Prophets tempting Me to the Dark side, Just as i was about to give in and buy a Linkin Park Hoody and join my mates in a mosh pit, Michelle Branch comes along.
A few months ago I heard 'Everywhere' and I thought "This is...
Published on 14 Aug 2002 by Robert Stokes

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly dissapointing.
To be honest, this album really didn't impress me.
A few weeks back, I heard some of Michelle's live performances from various sources, and was, quite frankly, blown away. She has a great voice, a real talent for the guitar and her lyrics are inspiring/haunting/impressive in all the right places. So, In ordered her album right away. And, well, in comparison it...
Published on 11 Sep 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Michelle Branch-The Spirit Room(Greatest album ever!!!), 5 Aug 2005
WOW!!! What can i say. This album is great. Michelle has such vocal talent which is backed up by her amazing skill on the guitar. This album has some great songs on it!Like everywhere,all you wanted and goodbye to you. All of which reached the top 20 in the charts!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Spirit Room (Audio CD)
As good as i remebered it

4.0 out of 5 stars Varied Perfection <3, 6 Aug 2002
This album ... is amazing.
1. Everywhere - For me, this is the song that defines Michelle Branch. It's deep, poistive, upbeat, and just a joy to listen to.
2. You Get Me - This song is cute ^___^. It's a fast/slow song with a beautiful chorus and sweet lyrics :D. It's also kind of shaka-laka-wow if you get what I mean ;D.
3. All You Wanted - THIS SONG IS INCREDIBLE. It's strong, powerful, and so full emotion it will make you want to cry. Michelle's voice just shines on this track.
4. You Set Me Free - Now this I like. It's quiet-verses-loud-chorus with a perfect tune & beautiful lyrics. Nice. Very nice.
5. Something To Sleep To - Mmmmm :). This is gentle and nice to relax to. Close your eyes and you could actually fall asleep :). Proper good song. <3
6. Here With Me - God I love this song. It's funky, good to dance to and it just makes you want to sing along. It's got an amazing chorus, nice, deep verses and superb lyrics. This is possibly my favourite song on the whole album. LOVE IT <3.
7. Sweet Misery - This is different, you can tell Michelle has written this from the heart because she sings it with such emotion. It got nice lyrics, and reall stands out as a good track.
8. If Only She Knew - This is kind of stoppy-starty and it never really gets going. I found myself a little disappointed by this track as it was hyped up to be awesome, but it's still good and worth a compliment :).
9. I'd Rather Be In Love - YESSS :D. Woo woo pretty/poppy and just NICE =D. It can cheer you up or be a sad emo type song, it depends how you listen. NICE nice nice :9.
10. Goodbye To You - =O I LOVE THIS SONG. It's amazing. Beautiful. Emotional. Slow. Graceful. Deep. PERFECTION. This is Michelle at her next to best and I love it. I also think it's good/easy to relate to =).
11. Drop In The Ocean - This starts of slow, and kind of bad/boring, but then it speeds up slightly and gets a little better :). It's not too much to my liking, but it's listenable. Probably the worst track on the album :(. I'd say this was the worst song to pick for the end of the album, leaving it on this note was kind of dumb ... =\.
The ONLY bad thing about this album is that some of the songs will disappoint you slightly. If you're expecting a total masterpiece and all of it to be wonderful, lower you expectations. If you're expecting it to be drab with the occasional good chorus, highten your expectations A LOT. It's the PERFECT album, just not flawless :).

3.0 out of 5 stars something missing..., 4 May 2002
By A Customer
I don't really have a reason to fault this album. The music is generally great, the voice is competent and the lyrics are decent, but there's just something missing.
The Spirit Room just doesn't have any soul, as I read on another online review. It just sounds like every other earnest american singer you've ever heard, and wouldn't sound out of place on mainstream commercial radio or Radio 2. When I listen to female singer-songwriters I want to hear something special and more, whether it's vulnerablity (Lene Marlin) or agression (Shakira). Michelle, at the moment, just doesn't have any qualities to mark her out from the pack. This is a good debut, sounding very much to me like a maturer version of Hanson, but it's nothing special. If you like the first single you will like this album (there are many tracks on here which are far better), but in a few years time you won't be remembering it as a classic. It's a short-term purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 5 Jan 2008
Trixy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Track 1: Everywhere. It gets the album off to a great start with fantastic guitar and intro. The lyrics are good and sound. It sticks in your head and makes you want to sing along.

Track 2: You Get Me. My personal favourite on the album. I laughed out loud at: "Some Say I'm Paranormal, So I Just Bend Their Spoon", and it's become my favourite line. Branch sings about this amazing guy, who understands her completely. A catchy number with nice lyrics.

Track 3: All You Wanted. A good song, with good rhymes and a nice, sympathetic feel to some of the words.

Track 4: You Set Me Free. A light, upbeat song, that fits together nicely.

Track 5: Something To Sleep To: A more serious ballad, switching from 3rd to 1st person. A nice song, one of my other favourites.

Track 6: Here With Me. You can feel Michelle's emotions strongly in this song. Fabulous.

Track 7: Sweet Misery. It might seem soppy and annoying on the first listen: "I was weak, You Were Strong", but give it time and it will grow on you. Some good guitar parts compensate for over-exaggerated lyrics.

Track 8: If Only She Knew. A punchy song, with great lyrics. It conveys confusion and longing well and is well sung.

Track 9: I'd Rather Be In Love: With some haunting first notes, the song suddenly transforms into a warm song about Michelle rather being in love with this guy rather than being alone.

Track 10: Goodbye To You. A touching, heartfelt song. It hits you hard and makes you think.

Track 11: Drop In The Ocean. What was Michelle thinking? It is awful. The only blemish on the album, and it had to be bad. Just from hearing the opening, I really didn't like it, and I have deleted it from my iPod.

Overall, a fantastic album, great listening. Most songs are classed as Pop/Rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 21 Jan 2004
Mrs. E. J. Gibson "EeeGee" (Welton, UK) - See all my reviews
This album is phenomenal. I've never heard such a varied styles of music on one album before. This girl is fabulous. I only bought the album originally because of one song on a TV show but I am SO glad I got it. More from her please - as soon as possible!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good debut album from Michelle Branch, 28 Aug 2003
By A Customer
Good start to Michelle's music career. Her debut album is highly respected with smash hit singles like Everywhere, All You Wanted, and Goodbye To You. Although some tracks is not the most impressive, overall I'd higly rate this album. Well Done Michelle!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Aug 2014
very good

4.0 out of 5 stars goodbye to you, 29 Aug 2003
i heard goodbye to you on aan episode of buffy in season 5, i listened to it and loved it, and it was only recently i heard it again in a shop and i stayed and was singing with the chorus. and ive just done a search for it to find out more and i know its michelle branch now. you will like this song, if u say u dont your not being honest

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Voice!, Shame about the songs!, 3 Oct 2002
By A Customer
I bought this album on the strength of the first song, which is absolutely brilliant spine tingling stuff and if i was just reviewing this song i would give it 5 stars.
but there are 10 other songs on this album that really let it down none of them seem to have anything about them, after the first song i strugled to listen to the rest it was just michelle's amazing voice that made me endure the rest.
I think michelle could have a great future ahead of her if she can find that extra musical magic that is evident in the first song "everywhere".

The Spirit Room (U.S. Version)
Buy MP3 Album7.49