5.0 out of 5 stars I Like it, If only I Knew why
Other the last two years my music taste has changed drastically, I have started to get into Metal, with Groups such as Linkin Park and Lost Prophets tempting Me to the Dark side, Just as i was about to give in and buy a Linkin Park Hoody and join my mates in a mosh pit, Michelle Branch comes along.
A few months ago I heard 'Everywhere' and I thought "This is...
Published on 14 Aug 2002 by Robert Stokes

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly dissapointing.
To be honest, this album really didn't impress me.
Published on 11 Sep 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars I Like it, If only I Knew why, 14 Aug 2002
Robert Stokes (Waterlooville, England) - See all my reviews
A few months ago I heard 'Everywhere' and I thought "This is allright, i dont find it annoying strangely enough."
Then she appeared on Buffy playing 'Goodbye to You', I thought that was OK as well, I've heard worse from American Teenagers.
I Heard 'All you wanted' on MTV and Radio and the song stuck in my head, I found myself singing it to myself when i was bored. I started to like the song, then i Loved the song, but i couldnt explain why, I Heard 'Everywhere' and 'Goodbye to you' again and this time i Loved them too, no logic too it, so eventually I caved in and got the Album.
The album for me was like the singles, I wasn't overly keen on them at first but it gets better everytime i hear it and it grows on you.
Michelle Branch has earnt her place between Lost Prophets and Nickelback on My Rack

5.0 out of 5 stars This Cd Rules, 7 April 2002
By A Customer
This cd rules, Michelle Branch is an amazing artist and manages to be original in a genre of music that is packed with artists. It is impossible not to like this cd, the tunes are all original and it is an album you can listen to from start to finish without finding a crap song or two songs that sound the same.
1. Everywhere - first single from the album and a wise choice the mellow guitar at the start is contrasted with the overdrive of the middle, this song is on the american pie 2 soundtrack and generally rules
2. You Get Me - great song, one of my favourites Michelle's writing knocks you back on a number of tracks and this is one of them
3. All You Wanted - Another great from this album and the second single. This has a really catchy chorus and for a guitarist like myself a nice song to play
4. You Set Me Free - not a great but a damned decent song, good tune to the verse.
5. Something To Sleep To - A nice slow one, good lyrics
6. Here With Me - My favourite from the album, a sort of hip-hop beat makes it stand out and great lyrics just round it off as a great song
7. Sweet misery - Another good one again slower with a lot of feeling and a haunting chorus.
8. If She Only Knew - great guitar for this song a sort of country feel along with catchy lyrics another great.
9. I'd Rather Be In Love - a decent song with good guitar not a great but they can't all be.
10. Goodbye To You - I love this song, after hearing this on Buffy i couldn't help but adore it. The best slow song and so full of feeling it just generally wants to make you cry.
11. Drop In The Ocean - Another slow one to finish the album, difficult to like it as much as it follows Goodbye To You and doesn't quite match up (a difficult task)
An amazing debut from a talented artist, her writing or her amazing voice never fails her and any fan of acoustic rock should love this

5.0 out of 5 stars And she's only 17!, 23 Aug 2002
Kalabrax (Northwest England) - See all my reviews
Ok, you've obviously heard one of the following tracks and thought you'd give her album a chance; 'Everywhere', 'All You Wanted' or 'Goodbye to you' (as featured in 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'). The Main thing I can say to you is... well done and you won't be disappointed.
The album kickstarts with the excellent 'Everywhere'; a mixture of sweet lyrics and a cool sound. (I'd give it 10/10)
'All You Wanted' is one of the highlights for me. It is styled like evrywhere but is even more catchy. Emotional lyrics mixed with Michelle's excellent vocals has made this song my favourite for over two months now. (11/10)
'If Only She Knew' is the next highlight as an upbeat guitar-driven pop/rock combo. The only thing I can say is it kicks butt! (10/10)
The best of the slower songs on the album has to be the excellent emotive 'Goodbye To You'. Soulful lyrics show you that Michelle is writing from the bottom of her heart in the most beautiful way. If you don't like this song then their has to be something wrong with you. (10/10)
My hope for Michelle is that she gets the recognition she deserves as the best new singer/songwriter either side of the atlantic.
She has fast become one of my favourite artists. My other favs that you might wanna check out are Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette, No Doubt, Letters To Cleo, K's Choice and the Sugababes.
Thanks for reading and I hope my review helped you in making your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, truely one of my favourite albums EVER, 2 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Spirit Room (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this album. I first heard Michelle on an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (as yet to air in the UK), and loved the song she sang.
I decided to put my faith in one song and buy the album, something that does not always pay off. This time i was rewarded with a fantastic album, where EVERY song is as good as every other.
Its hard to think who to compare Michelle with, but i listen to Jewel and Dido, so if you like them you may very well like Michelle Branch.
I cannot recommend this album enough, buy it, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all over!, 2 May 2002
My review for one of my favourite albulms ever:
1. Everywhere- One of my favourite songs of all time, this is the song that made me buy the album. Stunning.
2. You get me- This tracks words are very memorable. A lovely, flowing tune.
3. All you Wanted- This one definetly grew on me, a great mixture of rock and pop.
4. You Set Me Free- One of my favourites, catchy and very 'hummable' -if that's a word.
5. Something To Sleep To- Not one of my favourites, but it's still original and easy to relate to.
6. Here With Me- An excellent tune that's very powerful, another of my favourites.
7. Sweet Misery- A melancholy but very beautiful song. Easily gets stuck in your head.
8. If Only She Knew- Not one of my favourites, but satisfying to listen to. A sweet song.
9. I'd Rather Be In Love- Another track that grew on me. An exquisite tune that I love.
10. Goodbye To You- Michelle's voice shines through on this stunning and original track.
11. Drop In The Ocean- Not as catchy as the others, but beautiful and peaceful to listen to.
Michelle writes her own unique songs and sings brilliantly, she also plays the guitar in them. I love this album. Excellent all over!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly dissapointing., 11 Sep 2002
By A Customer
To be honest, this album really didn't impress me.
A few weeks back, I heard some of Michelle's live performances from various sources, and was, quite frankly, blown away. She has a great voice, a real talent for the guitar and her lyrics are inspiring/haunting/impressive in all the right places. So, In ordered her album right away. And, well, in comparison it sucks.
Her strongest gifts, her voice and guitar, seem drowned out at every turn by distracting and sometimes annoying electronic studio effects that would make Britney Spears proud. And if you don't believe me, find a live version of 'Sweet Misery' and the studio version and play them one after another.
That said, her songs (no matter how bogged down with echoes and 'tweets') are phenomonal, so, if you heard her studio versions first, then get the album. If you heard her live first, save yourself the dissapointment and pray she releases some kind of acoustic version of the album in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic debut album, 3 April 2002
By A Customer
Anyone who is a fan of "chickie rock" will love this album. For a debut I have to say it is honestly quite simply amazing!
Ranging from upbeat tracks such as "Everywhere" which, if you can picture a perfect song to don your shades and take a long drive with the roof down on a road to anywhere on a steamy day this is it. At the other end of the tree (s'cuse bad pun!)there is the truly gut wrenching, tear jerking "Goodbye to you" which any self respecting Buffy fan will recognise from a recent episode, this song jumps up and bites you - HARD! so much did it nibble me I did everything I could to lay my hands on a copy of the album ASAP..
All tracks are worth a listen more than once and there doesn't seem to be a weak one at all as is often with many albums, this is one with instant impact rather than a grower. This girl has a fine career ahead of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A near perfect album from a talented 18 year old!, 4 Aug 2002
If, out of my 250+ CD collection, I had to choose just one to keep, this CD would be it. It's simply a great listen with no dull tracks, and I think it suits many tastes.
I've done a track by track review below:
1) Everywhere - This is a great opening track and it is a perfect blend of pop/rock, so it will appeal to people who are into both genres. It is a real 'feel-good' song which gives good first-impressions.
2) You Get Me - A sweet little song, not a standout track, but by no means a bad track.
3) All You Wanted - More rockier than 'Everywhere' but an excellent choice for a 2nd single. This is more of a taste of things to come, on the album.
4) You Set Me Free - Another feel-good song, quite summery with a sing-along chorus, as with 'Everywhere' and other tracks on the album.
5) Something To Sleep To - In my opinion, one of the best tracks on the album, with hints of a Natalie Imbruglia feel about it, yet more musically mature though.
6) Here With Me - A nice track with a slightly different feel to the rest of the album. Again, a memorable chorus.
7) Sweet Misery - I love this song. It has the perfect structure, beginning simply, and gradually progressing. It is another summery, breezy song.
8) If Only She Knew - To me, the weakest song on the album yet still, a good song, just maybe not to my taste...
9) I'd Rather Be In Love - Another standout track. This, again seems to have been composed my a mature song writer and is impressive for an 18 year old. Again, a great chorus.
10) Drop In The Ocean - If Michelle were to release a slow song as a future single, this would surely have to be it! The chorus reminds me of the Paula Cole theme to Dawsons Creek, and this again is a beautiful song.
11) Drop In The Ocean - A different track to end the album with. This song has been crafted nicely. The drums have a nice role in this piece and become more energetic as the track progresses. An excellent track to end with.
All in all, this album is exceptional and Michelle is surely older than her years, as far as song writing goes. To me, the best tracks are: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11; yet I dislike none of the tracks.
I have not written about lyrical content, as I think that's something the listener may want to find out for themselves. Some may say this album is not groundbreaking, but I think that it is perfectly crafted, and Michelle deserves alot of credit for an excellent album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her and her guitar strumming along - and I love it!, 22 May 2002
Michelle Branch may not seem like she's anything special at first glance. Cute teenage girl, acoustic guitar in hand, and coyly smiling for the camera - and, even after hearing her first single 'Everyhwhere', you still many not be convinced that Branch is anything at all distinguishable from all the other soft rock chicks or American teen sex objects. However, after listening to her first mainstream album 'The Spirit Room' a coupla times, you jut gotta love her! Her music isn't really anything new or original but what she does do (and what she does with style) is she groups together all her influences and blends them into an 11-track masterpiece which sounds original due to some amazingly catchy hooks and her beautifully soulful but restrained voice. She sounds like Alanis on 'All You Wanted', nicks off The Corrs for 'You Set Me Free', and pays tribute to her fave band The Beatles on 'Something To Sleep To'. And, when combined, this sort of diversity and passion for music benefits her greatly. Opening track, the aformentioned 'Everywhere', is a grower (as is 'If Only She Knew' in the same way) and has a monster chorus that will be lodged in your head for days on end. She does her sweet girl act on 'You Get Me' but it's during the loud-chorus emotion-fuelled rock ballads that she sounds at her best. The next single 'All You Wanted' is one of the highlights of the album - it's a masterful but simple track and, when Michelle's husky growl kicks in after the second chorus and you've got it on full blast, the track ascends to classic status. Overall, the lyrics range from brilliantly simple and effective and downright unoriginal but the melodies and instrumentation make up for these rare moments. As she is only eighteen or nineteen (I believe), this is a pretty impressive debut and, although already massively underrated ('Everywhere' only managed to hit the Top 20), I believe we'll be hearing great things from her in the future. I'll be looking forward to it! And this review could not end without a mention of 'Goodbye To You' - you probably heard it on Buffy The Vampire Slayer as I did. However, the song is not overshadowed by that show as it is simply an amazing song in its own right. One of my favourite ever and sung with such emotion (you have to hear the unplugged version), this is one of the primary reasons I wrote this review. If you have never heard of Branch, buy this album for the greatness of this song alone...

5.0 out of 5 stars This will still be my 'favourite album of 2002' in December., 13 Jan 2002
Peter Cooper (Louth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Spirit Room (Audio CD)
After a very successful 2001 US release, this album is to be released in the UK in 2002. There's no reason to believe this album won't do spectacularly here too.
First off, Michelle is extremely talented. Not only does she sing and play on these tracks, but she wrote every track. And while she toes the pop line a little more than other contemporary female songwriters (Jewel, Fiona Apple, Sheryl Crow, et al.) she does it with style.
Her influences aren't obvious, although she admits to being a major Beatle-head. The sound songwriting skills show through, especially on 'Something To Sleep To' which sounds eerily like a John Lennon/Fiona Apple/Jeff Lynne collaboration.
Branch's style is quite tough to define. She immediately picks up the 'pop' tag, but I think this is unfair. She messes with several different styles on this album.. you can hear a capella, west coast, trip-hop (Drop In The Ocean) and alternative influences everywhere.
This all makes it hard to compare her to other contemporary acts, although her most direct musical peer is probably Lene Marlin. However, this album also shares striking similarities to Natalie Imbruglia's 'Left Of The Middle'.
The first single is 'Everywhere' from American Pie 2, with 'All You Wanted' as the chaser, although I'd rather hear the far more catchy 'Here With Me' as a single myself.
Either way, she's set for big things this year, and if you enjoy female songwriters with a pop edge (Lene Marlin, Natalie Imbruglia, Dido - at a stretch) then this is a smashing album.

The Spirit Room (U.S. Version)
Buy MP3 Album7.49