4.0 out of 5 stars ...When is a live album not a live album?...
Published on 2 Jun 2010 by Mr. H

2.0 out of 5 stars What's it all about
Whilst I remain a big fan of Aynsley I can't see what the fuss is about over this album. To produce a product of this nature I'd have preferred a bolder approach recording new numbers rather than repeating those off recent albums.
Maybe I've missed the point, but I've paid a few bob to get his outstanding recording of Purple Rain. Worth it? I'm not so sure.
Published on 20 Aug 2010 by charleyfarley

4.0 out of 5 stars ...When is a live album not a live album?..., 2 Jun 2010
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
When is a live album not a live album? When it's a live album recorded without an audience. See, Aynsley Lister had recorded a show for release as a live album, shortly after finishing his support slot with Lynyrd Skynyrd. But after heading off on his own tour, he came back to release that it no longer represented the sound of the band. So, he hired the Tower arts centre in Winchester and went in to record the live show as it had become. And this is the result.

So, it's not really a real live album. You can't have that without the sound of sweat running down the wall and a drunk eejit shouting out for 'Freebird'. What you have is a rather nice Aynsley Lister best of, a summation of his career to date. Now there is no doubting Mr Listers prowess on the guitar, although I've always found his vocals to be a bit average. Strange to relate, then, that this is his best vocal performance to date. Maybe less time dilly-dallying in the studio is the way to go.

The band themselves are in top form, and there's plenty of good songs to go around. They're fairly evenly split between his earlier Blues material and his more recent rock songs. 'Sugar Low' and 'Early Morning Dew' are the winners for me right now, although I'd have been happy for him to junk the cover of 'Crosstown Traffic' by Jimi Hendrix, and the dullathon that is 'Purple Rain' by Prince. When I saw him play it live, it was just right to fit in a toilet and juice break, but life is too short to hear it on a CD. Although I do seem to be in a minority on that one, if his diehard fans are anything to go by.

Is it better than the 2004 "Live" album? Not if you're a diehard Blues fan who's having trouble staying with his move to the mainstream. Should you buy this? Well, yes. It's a nice roundup of what he's been doing, and if you're new to his music, this is a good place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blistering session for everyone, 14 Jun 2010
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
When is a "live" album not a "live" album? When it's a session album. Okay, so a bit audience feedback is missing, but then I'd have to give this 6 stars. It was planned as a "live", and originally recorded as such, but a last minute change in keyboards made for a hasty change of plans and a schedule that meant a second live show wasn't possible in the time allowed. I'd view this much in the way as a radio session; there's the crackle of energy from "live" performance, but no destracting whoops and whistles through the slower parts of the solos.

Never mind the whittle, hear the quality. I admit, I'm a relative newcomer to Aynsley's music, but this retrospective session take is a welcome addition to my growing collection, and would shine in any collection of blues based rock. Aynsley's voice and guitar soar and growl in equal measure, Midus & Simon provide a solid backline for Aynsley to bounce off and the interplay with Dan on keyboards really bolsters the experience. This is a band at the top of the game, and enjoying it.

There's a lot of old favourites here from Aynsley's past work, a funkier sounding "Soundman", "Hero", "Quiet Boy" to more recent songs from his latest studio album; "Hurricane", "Early Morning Dew", "What's it all about" to the one fans have been clamouring for, the "Purple Rain" cover which is epic. All rounded off with a run through of the Hendrix standard "Crosstown Traffic".

Buy this! And if it whets your appetite see Aynsley and the band live.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD SELECTION OF SONGS BUT NO LIVE ATMOSPHERE, 15 Jun 2010
FastHand (Harefield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
Oh yes " this is a great album" was the emmediate reaction upon listening to it for the first time. I always think that if that is your first impression, then it is a true reflection of your thoughts. I have only just been introduced to aynsley and have bought all his albums as a result and have not been disappointed. On the evidence of this one I now can't wait to see him live. Yes it is a strange "live" album as there is no atmosphere with no live audience. If you were to walk in to any of the tracks not realising that it was live, then you just would not know that it's live. The album is a good selection of aynsley's songs and is in my opinion worth getting just for "Purple Rain". Aynsley makes his guitar sing in places (reminiscence of Eric Clapton on "Old Love" live at the Albert Hall) and then it soars away again to finish with what I can only imagine is a live audience standing with arms raised swaying to the rhythm and singing along to the chorus. So yes I liked it even though I already have most of the songs. One can always pick holes in anything but as an album as it stands it's very very good, get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking a little bit of 'soul', 12 Jun 2010
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, this is a good album, and probably worth the price for the recording of 'Purple Rain' alone, but to my mind/ear it lacks a little something - 'soul' - mainly, I think, because being a 'live' album but with no audience it seems a little contrived. I like it, but I prefer the 'raw' energy of Aynsley's previous live release. I've seen him play live several times, and have all his other CDs, and remain a great fan, but in the end, apart from 'Purple Rain', I can't help but feel a little disappointed by this release. Sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aynsley at his finest, 25 May 2010
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
His guitar playing is fantastic, his singing is superb and the band are really working well together. To top it all off they've recorded Purple Rain. What more could you wish for... Oh yes, to see him live!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aynsley, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
Loved this guy since seeing him play in our local pub many years ago. Nice to see him doing so well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aynsley Lister, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
Really good this album this lads a real talent. check out purple rain he's made it his own and I like the way the album is packaged for an old fart like me it reminds me if the days when you had something to hold and look at when you bought an album what's all this downloading about not for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Live album., 31 July 2013
G. Musto "gemmusto" (Tadley, West Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tower Sessions (MP3 Download)
I'm a big fan on Mr Lister. Great live performance and his playing is superb. Okay, 2 covers of Hendrix and Prince included, but the rest of the album is first class.

Also recently bought 'Home', it's even better. Guitar as good as ever and strong vocals......superb addition to any R&B collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought on a whim., 2 April 2011
This review is from: Tower Sessions (MP3 Download)
I bought this on a whim as a download and this was superb!! great guitarist playing some great blues/rock. Great cover of Prince "purple rain" but all tracks are now classics in my collection. The lack of the crowd does not detract from the enjoyment of this live album, its just good music played by great musicians. If youre reading this and not heard Anysley yet, do what i did and try on the whim, i'm sure you too will not regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant discovery for me, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Tower Sessions (Audio CD)
I am new to Aynsley, I bought this CD on AMZ recommendation. This is a fantastic album and I just bought all Aynsley's previous CDs. If you like blues rock, from Clapton to Rory, John Mayall (the organ!), etc ... this is for you. There is much offerring in this kind of music these days and I have been disappointed with some of the stuff I tried, but this is tops. He has excellent guitar skills, a rhythm that's right on the spot, great voice, and a VERY GOOD BAND. I really lke the keyborads, it seems this is new in his music, we will see how it sounds in the other albums. Anyway, this album is perfect from start to finish, no filler, there is even a good version of Crosstown Traffic. MUST HAVE.

ARRAY(0xb0598cd0)

Tower Sessions
Tower Sessions by Aynsley Lister (Audio CD - 2010)