5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book
Published on 3 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Life in the Highlands
A well written story. Ms Pilcher obviously knows her "Highlands".
Published on 18 Sep 2010 by G. Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 3 July 1999
By A Customer
This was my first Rosamunde Pilcher and certainly won't be the last! September is essentially the story of two families from rural Scotland and their acquaintances, and is told over 5 months, building to the climax you know is coming right from the outset. Each person brought into the storyline is incredibly well-crafted, as is the book as a whole. There is great attention to detail both in the Scottish scenery which is the backdrop to the drama unfolding, and in the lives of the characters. The characters themselves are instantly memorable, yet human, and make it hard to put this book down. I will be recommending it to anyone looking for a good read, and look forward to working my way through the rest of her books!

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely well written and enthralling family saga, 4 Jun 1999
By A Customer
September is the story of a two interconnected families based in the same highland village with various members living elsewhere. The saga starts at the beginning of the year and continues month by month until the climax, a 21st birthday party, is reached in September. A number of different characters are described in very realistic settings in beautiful detail. The book is a very gentle read and ideal to take away on holiday, but beware, once picked up, it is difficult to put down. Heartily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 20 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: September (Hardcover)
This book is one of the best. Read it in three days.one of my favorate's and was sad to finnish it. The Shell Seekers is the only one that comes near this one. another hit....Septembera winner have just read it again. still can't part with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comfort reading, 11 Feb 2012
Ms. M. Ziervogel (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: September (Kindle Edition)
Easy reading that absorbs you from the start. You feel apart of the family and all their dramas. The characters may be a little stereotypical and behave too perfectly in their roles, but you grow incredibly fond of them. It highlights the good old fashioned themes of love, lust, betrayal, and the search for happiness - with the clear message of "blood is thicker than water" and how important family and friends are. It pulls at the heartstrings and reminds one of people you have met or known at some stage of your life. I was sad to finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars READING "SEPTEMBER" IN SEPTEMBER, 2001, 20 Oct 2002
Nancy Martin (Pennsylvania (orig. NY)) - See all my reviews
READING "SEPTEMBER" IN SEPTEMBER, 2001 November 2, 2001
Like so many other readers, after the events of 9/11, I had a hard time latching on to a book that would hold my interest. At first I thought something in the mystery/thriller genre would do the trick although I made sure I stayed clear of anything spy or terrorist related. Finding no solace in that genre, I turned to an author who has never disappointed me and picked up Pilcher's book September, which had been sitting on my shelves for quite some time. This book called to me as the title was apropos for the month in which I chose to read it.
The setting is vintage Pilcher in a small town in Scotland called Strathcroy and right away I'm feeling pleasantly calm. All the residents are gearing up for the 21st birthday "dance" for Katy Steynton and I'm wishing my own invitation would arrive in the mail. The idea for the dance is hatched in May and the book will follow the next three months that will eventually lead up to September and the gala event. As with most Pilcher books, there is the presiding matriarch of the family and, in this case, it's Violet Aird. Everything about her is reminding me of my own grandmother so I'm in heaven at this point.
Every character in a Pilcher book is colorful and familiar - either like people you know or people you want to know. This book is no exception as it is filled with housekeepers and grandchildren and estate lords and extended family members and, of course, one resident troublemaker who will keep everyone on guard. This author is known for happy endings and, while some are heartrending, the feeling of hope and goodness is present on each page. By the time everyone arrives at the dance on that September eve, you feel as if you've played a big part in planning the festivities. Naturally the book follows the course of more than just planning for the party and it is chock full of twists and turns and the usual surprises as only this delightful author can write them. As in all Pilcher books, the potential for disaster always exists as she gathers all the players together in what can either result in devastating emotional turmoil or incomparable happiness. You'll have to go to the dance to find out what happens!
So as the events of the real life September came to a close, my spirits were raised and my hopes for humanity broadened all because I went to "Dr. Pilcher." Give her a try whether you're down and out or on top of the world - she serves it up right no matter what the ailment. As the famous song goes, "It's a long, long time, From May to December, But the days grow short, When you reach September." We'll never forget September of the year 2001 and I'll never forget this book for helping me through that fateful month.

3.0 out of 5 stars Life in the Highlands, 18 Sep 2010
G. Holland - See all my reviews
This review is from: September (Paperback)
A well written story. Ms Pilcher obviously knows her "Highlands".
There were a few loose ends. I thought Alexa might be the central character but she soon fizzled out unexpectedly. Ms Pilcher presented a picture of highland life and scenary then placed the characters within it, rather like Thomas Hardy did with Exmoor. Up to a point it worked but the story became slightly muddled and mundane. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the read, I guess I just expected more depth in the story itself, given that Ms Pilcher as usual drew the characters out very well.
Not her best novel but well worth a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxed and enjoyable read, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: September (Kindle Edition)
The author draws you into the families and their lives and presents the reader with an effortless and engaging read.

5.0 out of 5 stars ROSAMUND PILCHER, 6 Oct 2013
Mrs. V. A. Bingham "california" (kinver england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: September (Paperback)
this book is an old favourite, I have read it many times but lent it to a friend so had to get my own copy again, its like an old friend to me. This book, together with the shell seekers, I consider to be her best work. The other books written by her were just pleasant but not exceptional in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort reading books, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: September (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant story one you could read again and again, I love all Rosamund Pilchers books another favourite is Shell Seekers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading, 2 July 2013
This review is from: September (Kindle Edition)
I loved The Shell Seekers so I couldnt wait to read September. Its funny and poignant and just good reading

September