Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 3 July 1999
This was my first Rosamunde Pilcher and certainly won't be the last! September is essentially the story of two families from rural Scotland and their acquaintances, and is told over 5 months, building to the climax you know is coming right from the outset. Each person brought into the storyline is incredibly well-crafted, as is the book as a whole. There is great attention to detail both in the Scottish scenery which is the backdrop to the drama unfolding, and in the lives of the characters. The characters themselves are instantly memorable, yet human, and make it hard to put this book down. I will be recommending it to anyone looking for a good read, and look forward to working my way through the rest of her books!
on 4 June 1999
September is the story of a two interconnected families based in the same highland village with various members living elsewhere. The saga starts at the beginning of the year and continues month by month until the climax, a 21st birthday party, is reached in September. A number of different characters are described in very realistic settings in beautiful detail. The book is a very gentle read and ideal to take away on holiday, but beware, once picked up, it is difficult to put down. Heartily recommended.
on 20 October 2002
READING "SEPTEMBER" IN SEPTEMBER, 2001 November 2, 2001
Like so many other readers, after the events of 9/11, I had a hard time latching on to a book that would hold my interest. At first I thought something in the mystery/thriller genre would do the trick although I made sure I stayed clear of anything spy or terrorist related. Finding no solace in that genre, I turned to an author who has never disappointed me and picked up Pilcher's book September, which had been sitting on my shelves for quite some time. This book called to me as the title was apropos for the month in which I chose to read it.
The setting is vintage Pilcher in a small town in Scotland called Strathcroy and right away I'm feeling pleasantly calm. All the residents are gearing up for the 21st birthday "dance" for Katy Steynton and I'm wishing my own invitation would arrive in the mail. The idea for the dance is hatched in May and the book will follow the next three months that will eventually lead up to September and the gala event. As with most Pilcher books, there is the presiding matriarch of the family and, in this case, it's Violet Aird. Everything about her is reminding me of my own grandmother so I'm in heaven at this point.
Every character in a Pilcher book is colorful and familiar - either like people you know or people you want to know. This book is no exception as it is filled with housekeepers and grandchildren and estate lords and extended family members and, of course, one resident troublemaker who will keep everyone on guard. This author is known for happy endings and, while some are heartrending, the feeling of hope and goodness is present on each page. By the time everyone arrives at the dance on that September eve, you feel as if you've played a big part in planning the festivities. Naturally the book follows the course of more than just planning for the party and it is chock full of twists and turns and the usual surprises as only this delightful author can write them. As in all Pilcher books, the potential for disaster always exists as she gathers all the players together in what can either result in devastating emotional turmoil or incomparable happiness. You'll have to go to the dance to find out what happens!
So as the events of the real life September came to a close, my spirits were raised and my hopes for humanity broadened all because I went to "Dr. Pilcher." Give her a try whether you're down and out or on top of the world - she serves it up right no matter what the ailment. As the famous song goes, "It's a long, long time, From May to December, But the days grow short, When you reach September." We'll never forget September of the year 2001 and I'll never forget this book for helping me through that fateful month.
A story mainly about two families set in the highlands of Scotland - one family landed and the other wealthy with a third family thrown in for good measure to act as a catalyst for the unfolding events. The third family ( The Steynton's ) want to arrange a 21st birthday bash for their daughter and this event is the focus to draw the other two families together. The matriarch Violet Aird is there to observe the eventual coming together of the two main families and witnesses the resulting resolution of a few family skeletons - a long but very enjoyable read not unlike Catherine Cookson but more sophisticated.
on 5 September 2009
I enjoyed this book very much - it is very atmospheric and a comforting read, and it was difficult to put down. I agree with a previous reviewer that the way the characters talk is not quite right for a book set in 1988 - unless the Scottish upper classes speak very differently from the English middle classes! Some other details are also a bit out of date, for instance Noel having a wooden bowl of shaving soap (I've never heard of this before - surely everyone uses cans of shaving gel/foam??). But this is picking holes a bit - the overall story contains believable characters and the twists are very clever. I did think that the plot was not entirely original, and that there was influence from "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier - a book mentioned by one of the characters in another book of Rosamunde Pilcher's, "Coming Home", so probably a favourite of the author's. I don't think that the book is first rate literature, or even so good as "Coming Home" or "The Shell Seekers", but it is a page turner and a cracking good read.
on 10 November 2015
I picked this book from my local library on a whim. It just looked, well autumnal - a perfect read for an October day. And it didn't disappoint. An utterly absorbing tale of two families in rural Scotland: poetic, moody, human and wonderful.
A ball is organised to celebrate the 21st birthday of one of the local village girls. A proper one, like in the old days. And everyone is invited. Including Pandora, a run-away sister of the local laird. There is a suspicion, she disappeared after a brief affair with her brother's married friend. Many years have passed and the friend is now married to someone else, and the Laird, wounded in the Northern Ireland, is forced to host American tourists in his ancestral home to pay the bills.
And now she is coming to the ball. Why? Would the village lives be the same after the party is over?
on 26 September 2007
Amazing book, could not put it down. Relaxing, entertaining, i just got lost in this beautifully written story This is the first book of Piltcher that i have read and i will surely be reading lots more and i cant wait to watch the dvd based on the book. As another reviewer said Its about a big dance taking place in September but all the preparations start in May. I so wanted to be invited to the dance it all sounds so grand and beautiful. They live in palatial homes all with fires burning and gardens. Everyone friendly and polite, considerate and respectful to each other, and if they were not they got told as much!
I have travelled to Scotland many times and it is indeed as beautiful as described. I think the village of Stathcroy is made up though. Highly recommended book!! Definitely 5 stars!!!!
on 18 September 2010
A well written story. Ms Pilcher obviously knows her "Highlands".
There were a few loose ends. I thought Alexa might be the central character but she soon fizzled out unexpectedly. Ms Pilcher presented a picture of highland life and scenary then placed the characters within it, rather like Thomas Hardy did with Exmoor. Up to a point it worked but the story became slightly muddled and mundane. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the read, I guess I just expected more depth in the story itself, given that Ms Pilcher as usual drew the characters out very well.
Not her best novel but well worth a go.
on 23 August 2008
Fantastic book! A book that immerses you completely in the lives of a group of people who have been invited to a dance in September. They all lead seperate lives but have a shared bond. The story takes you through their journeys to Scotland and their reasons for returning to this remote place. The characters are so real and reveal so much to you that you can't help but be absorbed which makes the ending was a most unexpected twist. The described scenery in the book too makes it gloriously vivid. I imagine Scotland in September to be immensely beautiful! Can't help but recommend it wholeheartedly!
on 20 September 2000
This book is one of the best. Read it in three days.one of my favorate's and was sad to finnish it. The Shell Seekers is the only one that comes near this one. another hit....Septembera winner have just read it again. still can't part with it.