It probably helps to have read at least the first in this series (The Perils of Pleasure (Avon Romantic Treasure) which I strongly commend, it's a lovely book, as is this.

Published on 10 July 2012 by DebB

3.0 out of 5 stars Violet's story
Unfortunately I have read "What I did for a duke" from the same author before reading this one. This is not as good, even if it is still enjoyable. Also, I really want to read Olivia and Lyon's story.
Published 15 months ago by Lazy Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fine addition to the series... (number 4 Pennyroyal Green), 10 July 2012
DebB (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series (Kindle Edition)

You really do have to suspend belief however - but isn't that what historical romance is all about - and it's probably stuffed full of historical inaccuracies (dart boards, for example, only came along around the turn of the 19th century) but what the heck, this was a fun read and I really don't care!

Violet is bored, bored, bored, and deeply wounded by the sudden disappearance of her beloved brother a year or so ago - a departure inspired by something a woman (the daughter of the family's deadly enemy to be exact) said. No one knows what was said, or where he's gone, and Violet is hurting inside. So when she puts a very vague 2 and 2 together and decides they make 4, every one she puts her theory to laughs at her, pats her on the head and tells her not to worry her pretty self about it. So she takes action. Drastic action, thereby setting the scene for not only the discovery of what was said to her brother and what it inspired him to do, but the sparkling development of a relationship between the intelligent, strong-willed, spoilt, over-indulged but determined Violet and the equally intelligent, equally strong-willed, definitely never indulged or spoilt and grimly determined hero.

The secondary story about her brother pulls the story along and is credible (well, sort of, if you can accept that a man with no experience of the sea can achieve what is achieved), but that element aside, it's a good reason and you really want to know what happened/s.

The main story is excellent - two strong individuals with irreconcilable aims learning that love can fuzz up ones focus, and learning that sometimes one has to compromise.

This is a good series, and while I've not read number 3, I can strongly recommend the second, Like No Other Lover (Avon Romantic Treasure).

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Among the Pennyroyal Green Series, 4 April 2015
Gearing up for Lyon Redmond's book to finally come out this fall, I thought I would re-read some of the Pennyroyal Green Series books during the coming months. After reading Lavay's story, It Started with a Scandal: Pennyroyal Green Series, a couple of days ago, I decided to begin my re-reading with the book where his character was first introduced - I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series. This is where we become further acquainted with the outlandish Violet Redmond - the gal whose claim to fame was the time she decided to jump/climb/fall/cast herself into a well while arguing with a suitor. I never actually got that, but it's mentioned in nearly every book where her name comes up. I was not disappointed in Violet's story, however. She's matched up with exactly the right kind of man in this book - the sexy Captain Flint, Earl of Ardmay.

We actually get a huge bonus in this book, because the newly titled Earl of Ardmay has an assignment. He's being sent out to capture and bring to justice the dastardly "pirate/privateer" Le Chat who is wreaking havoc on the high seas. The Earl catches Violet's interest at a ball due to his size, bearing, persona, but when he see her brother Jonathan and believes him to be a mysterious Mr. Hardesty, who is Le Chat's alter ego, Violet's interest is stirred. When she finds out Le Chat's ship is called "The Olivia," she becomes even further interested and then the clues begin to mount up. Lyon (Le Chat, French for "The Lyon"), the vessel being called "The Olivia" after Lyon's former love - Olivia Eversea, and the fact Ardmay says Jonathan looks enough like Mr. Hardesty/LeChat to be his twin, it doesn't take long to do the math. Let me say straight up, Violet is one bright gal who can figure stuff out very quickly. In fact, her character in this book is one of brilliant, cunning, gifted analyzer to the point, the fact was inferred, it was too bad she wasn't born a male because of the limitations placed upon females during that day.

When Violet decides she will stow aboard Flint's vessel so she can "protect" Lyon from the big bad earl and his crew, the story really gets going. From the earl's initial shock, to the little contests they have to decide which one will get the captain's quarters, to the slow build up of Flint's interest in Violet turns into what is, in my opinion, one of Julie Ann Long's best among the Pennyroyal Green Series. I was not disappointed in this book, except for one slightly spoilerish comment so don't read on, don't read on, don't read on, unless you want to know that one thing: I didn't understand why Ms. Long never included any details regarding the disposition of Flint's long time mistress and the woman he had thought he might marry - remember, Fatima, the easygoing, non-complicated Moroccan lady that Flint thought he might marry? I am one who likes my loose ends all tidied up, but this lack of tidiness isn't all that rare in Ms. Long's books. I had some of the same issues in Lavay's story. By the way, if you read Lavay's story, you will recall that one of his little frustrations was his sister who was always requesting money, etc.? In this book, which took place before Lavay's book, Flint mentions to Violet that Lavay has a mother and sister back in France and that his sister has married well??? Ms. Long, please explain how this could be? You see, there I go - I want all the loose ends tied up nice and tight.

Anyway, I believe you'll like this story if you are a fan of Ms. Long's writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a great romantic adventure, 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series (Kindle Edition)
Oh wow! This was an exciting romantic adventure on the high seas. The hero, Flint, is swoon-worthy, and the heroine, Violet Redmond, completely surprised me with her sheer tenacity, courage and determination.

I love how this story unfolded. The protagonists didn’t have a romantic awareness of the other at first. And Violet gave Flint a great reason to be annoyed with her. So not a good start.

Oh, but they become aware by degrees and the sexual tension builds amid the drama and the danger on the high seas.

This book would translate so well into a movie. In my mind I could see all the characters, locations, drama and pirates in technicolour. I think I swayed as if on a mist-shrouded ship… This romance was beautiful.

I think this book makes me officially addicted to the writing of Julie Anne Long. It’s only my second book, but so far the brilliance of the writing is consistent with the compelling romance, humour and pace of “What I Did For a Duke”. I could not put “I Kissed An Earl” down either. Wow, wow, wow.

I Kissed An Earl is book 4 in the Pennyroyal Green series. I am reading them out of order, but that does not diminish my enjoyment. And I can’t stop now…

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 28 July 2014
This review is from: I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series (Kindle Edition)
The Pennyroyal Green series have been such a joy to read. This one tells the story of bored but rich Violet Redmond and the dashing if somewhat not rich Earl of Ardnay. Ardnay has been gifted with the title by the King but would only come into the money it could bring if he brought to justice the pirate Le Chat, who Violet is convinced is her long lost brother Lyon. Violet sneaks aboard Ardnay's ship to ensure that he does not kill Le Chat until she can discover the truth. Of course the attraction is there and after a few adventures enroute to finding out the truth they find a love for each other and she finds some truths about her brother. This is a really nice story and one which kept me interested until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love a book that makes me weep, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series (Kindle Edition)
The romance of a spoiled rich girl and a self made tough guy is a classic situation. Then the author puts them on a ship which surprise surprise tough guy is the captain of. It is a corn ball of a story. It surprised me when I loved every single word and was thoroughly entertained.

3.0 out of 5 stars Violet's story, 31 Mar. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure and mistery, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series (Kindle Edition)
very well written full of suspense and adventure.
feels so romantically intense and with a lovely twist
I certainly enjoyed greatly and recommend ++++

5.0 out of 5 stars pennyroyal series, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series (Kindle Edition)
, Colourful, authentic and loved Ms Long's great sense of humour. Some beautiful purple phrases. Characters come vividly to life

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is not for me., 4 July 2013
I have read some of the books of miss long but so far its not my usual book. I don't like to know the other characters before I read the actual story. I like the book to focus more on the main characters. I read a lot of series books. This book, I find it boring.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 Sept. 2014