5.0 out of 5 stars Team Sonos, Second to None!
Published 7 months ago by Silex

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic speaker, not very good software
The speaker has fantastic sound, and particularly excellent punchy bass for music that requires it. I love the sound, and I have not exchanged the Sonos for another system for that reason. The design and build of the cabinet is also excellent, weighty enough to provide good sound response but small enough to fit most places.

It is loud, in my lounge I never...
Published 18 months ago by I. Waugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Team Sonos, Second to None!, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sonos PLAY:5 Black - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly S5) (Electronics)
OMG!! My old system of stacks had died and I literally spent months researching various options to replace my old faithful. I liked the idea that the Sonos system would stream anywhere in the house and even play different music in different rooms, which would mean my wife could enjoy something different in one room while I was listening to something else in another room. But I must admit I was wary, technology and I are not terribly compatible, idiot proof usually makes me feel like... Well, an idiot!

All things carefully considered I decided to take the plunge and attempt to move with the times, after all I have a pretty extensive digital music library. I ordered a bridge and a Play 5. My order arrived swiftly and I downloaded the Sonos App, plugged everything in and... Nothing! The App repeatedly told me there was no Sonos system to connect to and I was left feeling like the afore mentioned techno idiot! After much messing about I decided to skip the bridge and connected directly to the Play 5 by plugging it straight into the router. Techno idiot no more! The sound was amazing, I was completely blown away.

The next day I phoned Sonos Support and explained my problem with the bridge. I have to say the Sonos Support Team are second to none, friendly, helpful, and the patience of saints - taking into account they were dealing with Techno Idiot! The bridge required a factory reset and a software upgrade which got everything going. Then they transferred my entire music library to the bridge for me, no short task. After an hour on the phone the system was up and running beautifully and I was in seventh heaven. An hour later the system crashed! I was more than disappointed, but next day I was back on the phone to the friendly support team who got me running again and explained that I might have to reset my router if it did it again. Resetting the router consisted of turning it off and then back on again and that was exactly what I had to do every day at least once.

After a week of this I was seriously thinking of packing the lot up and sending it back. An email to the Sonos CEO was swiftly answered and followed up with several telephone calls from a senior technician who was able to analyse my Sonos system and identify the problem, which I hasten to add was not down to the Sonos system at all, but my crappy BT Router. At this point I would expect most companies to wash their hands of the whole problem, after all it wasn't their doing, not so Sonos. Following the advice given I purchased an Apple Time Capsule (my choice, there were various options, but I'm a Mac user) and Sonos were back on the phone to set the whole system up for me. The sound quality is out of this world, the support is out of this world and I really cannot fault the Sonos Team. I am a total convert, having just placed an order for a second Play 5, there will be more Sonos purchases to follow over the next few months. If you have any doubts about taking the plunge, don't worry, Team Sonos will be there for you should things not go quite as well as you might have hoped - and trust me, they couldn't be much worse than my initial experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality hampered by reliability, 30 April 2011
fallingforstars (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
OK I think on balance, taking into account all the reviews, we can take it as a given that the Sonos S5 is something quite special. While I cannot disagree with the consensus of opinion why have I given it 4 stars instead of 5?

In a word RELIABILITY. I live in an average house in average conditions with no children and yet on three occasions have had to have replacement Sonos components within the guarantee period. This is too frequent an occurrence to be bad luck.

The first S5 suddenly lost its ability to produce any bass response within the first 6 months. After the usual factory reset it still failed to perform so I had to invoke a replacement unit within the warranty period.

The second problem occurred with the very expensive Sonos controller which developed a touch-screen fault. Part of the display failed to respond to touch commands. Once again I had to request a replacement.

The third occasion was the same problem as the first - the sudden inability to produce a bass response after 10 months of working flawlessly. This time the problem was suffered by my other S5 unit, located in a different part of the house and was purchased at a different retailer from the first.

So in summary - out of 4 Sonos components only the ZoneBridge has not let me down. Not a good track record is it?

These days manufacturers have their products 'Made in China' purely because it is cheaper and it vastly increases their profit margin. Unfortunately in my experience components have a much higher tendency to break down be it intermittent electrical faults, failure of rechargeable batteries or transformer failures. They just don't have the longevity expected of them.

Sonos are a very good company and have no hesitation in quickly responding and replacing faulty products. But what lifetime can I expect of these products? It doesn't bode well.

***** UPDATE 11 July 2011 - The replacement Controller 200 now refuses to hold its charge - although still under guarantee it is yet another instance of UNRELIABILITY that lets Sonos down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted- it 'just works', 7 Sep 2012
After looking at all sorts of options for streaming my music I settled on this.
I pulled the wireless bridge (sold seperately) out of the box, attached it to my router and plugged it in.
Next I plugged the play 5 in.
Next I downloaded the Sonos app from the AppStore to my iPad.
Next I opened the app and clicked on setup system.
Next I selected to add a component and held the button down on the wireless bridge for a few seconds.
Next I selected to add another component and pressed the buttons down on the play 5 for a few seconds and it connected.
The system is now fully set up. It just works. If I want to put up to 32 speakers in the house all I have to do is press add component, and hold down the button on the unit.
However you then want to get music onto it. I have Spotify premium ( 9.99 a month but so worth it) and so selected Spotify, entered my password and username and it works. Streaming millions of songs, instantly in 320k quality.
I could set it to share all my music on the computer in iTunes. All you have to do is click on the cog on The Sonos app, then on shares and select the public folder on the computer.
However, instead I bought a WD Mybook Live, plugged it into my router, copied the music to that and shared that folder in Sonos and it just plays it straight off this Nas drive.
The sound quality on the Play 5 is lovely. I upped the bass 2 notches and treble about 5 notches on the Sonos equaliser app. Sound is clear, nicely balanced and very detailed- this is top quality kit and the sound fills the average UK lounge no problem.
Apple could have made this kit- does not really need instructions, very well made, and again, it just works.
You get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy any other music system?, 14 Aug 2010
The Sonos S5 is a remarkable bit of kit.

Having been a Sonos user for five years I expected the S5 to be a Zoneplayer with speakers, and not match up to my expectations on sound quality - after all, the portability allowed for use outside at BBQ's and the like, so sound quality is not the primary concern.

The system arrived quickly as I've come to expect from Amazon, and I couldn't wait to try it out. The S5 is reassuringly heavy and feels superbly well built - the white plastic and silver grille, give it a contemporary look and are a nod to the classic iPod colour scheme.

Once opened, I plugged in, grabbed one of my Sonos controllers and added it to the Sonos network - as simple and quick as ever.

Now the real test - what was the range going to be like (this player has Wireless N capability, unlike my existing Zoneplayers which are all wireless G). I set the player up at the back of my garden, a good 30 Meters from the Zonebridge and switched it on. The white indicator flashed a few times and then steadily lit - we were connected! I picked up a controller (My iPhone couldn't get Wifi in the same spot) and the mesh capabilities took over with 100% signal on the Sonos controller from the S5.

The next suprise was the sound quality - most of my Sonos zones are connected to pretty decent HiFi speakers (Mordaunt Short and the like) and quality is excellent, with deep bass and just the right tonal elements) how was the S5 going to compete? Well, honestly it sounds incredible - the bass belies its small size, and the power is more than enough for the most rowdy BBQ. This unit easily sounds as good as the 700 Bose iPod dock - but with full music library streaming and Napster built in.

So in summary - if you are hesitating - don't - this is easily the best audio solution out there for anyone who loves unlimited access to music with the flexibility to expand throughout the house - buy buy buy!

Features: *****
Range: *****
Sound: *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos S5, 24 Dec 2009
Having used a Squeezebox system for a couple of years, I decided to upgrade to what must be the 'gold standard' for wireless hi fi. The S5 is part of a wider Sonos system at my home (S5, bridges, zone players and the CR200).

Firstly the software interface for the PC is much more user-friendly than the Squeezebox (which is rather clunky in comparison), secondly it works almost immediately out of the box, thirdly it's very easy to use - finally it sounds great.

The S5 looks like a bigger version of the Bose docking station, quite a bit bigger. I think it sounds better too - the Sonos system features a graphic equalizer on the PC and handset, so you can shape the sound to suit. I have one or two massive sound files (50MB +) and they sound better than a CD, the S5 and Sonos system definitely appear to have an audio edge over anything else.

The handset (CR200) is very cool. Album art appears, radio is easy to set up... it just works! The handset/controller is worth buying - it's the main reason I switched to Sonos.

The only minor issue is that the range seems 'ok' rather than exceptional, however I've fixed this by putting another couple of bridge units around the house so nothing drops out. You can name individual zones and control them individually or link as many or as few as you like...

Cost is the only downside with the Sonos system, however I have to say that once you've used it, it is actually good value. It's well made, looks very 'Apple-like' and seems to have bullet proof software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product for reasonable price, 24 Feb 2010
M. R. Montgomery "Mike Montgomery" (Portsmouth, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought the S5 and a Zone bridge100 to play music from a buffalo NAS using WiFi. I've used the unit for three weeks now and am very impressed with the sound and build quality, ease of use and look.

The unit came in Apple "like" packaging, was set up and connected to my NAS in around 10 minutes using wifi. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow. The sound quality is excellent - especially when you consider that it's little bigger than a normal speaker.

Good features include:
integrated last fm and similiar services
free iPhone application that gives you full remote access over wifi - the app gives you great control
play lists - imported from iTunes and also queing up
good sound quality and more than enough volume for my lounge
virtually no cables - just the power adapter - making the unit very portable

quircks/limitations
doesn't integrate fully with iTunes - so won't increment play count which I normally use to build automatic playlists
can't play on iPhone at same time as S5 - it would have been nice to make the iPhone another component within a zone and I'm sure that the free app could do this if sonos wanted to lake it happen.
If you want the dedicated controller it's cheaper to by an iPod touch and install the free app but even then still expensive

summing up - a great audio solution which can ne extended for multiple room playing

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Hippies live on with Sonos!, 1 Jan 2013
I consider myself to be musically extremely fortunate. I was teenage when Richard Branson started Virgin records (didn't he do well!) Went to the Shepton Mallet Music Festival which turned into Glastonbury...saw most of the mega bands live before they became legends. Had a Dansette, a Garrad deck then a walkman, the first generation Phillips CD player, still have my old vinyl, piles of CDs! Although my musical heritage has been unforgettable & awesome, I love to dip into current trends & genres. But....and it's quite a big but for me, there is so much music out there it can be a little overwhelming.
Que Sonos. I was lucky enough to get A Sonos 5 & a Sonos 3 with Bridge & 6 months Napster deal for Xmas & birthday (Boxing day...yuk!!)
An absolute doddle to set up, all cables, connectors & software supplied, it is really plug & play! Extremely well made, Sonos kit exudes quality. Smaller in dimension than you might think, certainly bigger in tone, volume & richness than you would think. I was so impressed I went out & snapped up a Sonos Connect to link my current HiFi system into the Sonos network. But two things really seal the deal for me. Via Napster I can dip in & out of a wealth of music that would not have been easily accesible to me, I can build playlists, experiment with little known & up & coming artists, go outside my comfort zone. Play different music in different rooms simultaneously, listen to a seemingly endless list of world radio stations, play my i-tunes library through any or all of my Sonos connected systems. Ok that's maybe more than two things, but the combination of Sonos & Napster have opened up a new chapter in my musical journey, & I am quite simply.... delighted!

5.0 out of 5 stars SONOS, 5 July 2014
My girlfriend bought me Sonos Play 1 speaker for my birthday last year. I was very impressed by the sound quality, clarity, wireless system and music streaming services. Then i bought another Play 1 to pair with the older one to get stereo sound. Can't complain anything about Sonos products except the price. I put this Play 5 in my kitchen and we can hear the sounds from TV as well when watching films with Playbar. Sonos products are much cheaper in the US. This Play 5 costs only $399 in the US, but nearly $600 in the UK which i think is not very fair for the customers in the UK and it makes us think that Sonos is too expensive. I spent a lot of money for my Sonos 5.1 surround sound set up, but i do not regret it as they are high quality products and they also sound amazing when watching films or listening to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Quality, 19 July 2010
Alison "runninggirlcycling" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a truly impressive piece of technology and I'm extremely pleased with it. It has obvious excellent build quality and is very easy to install and use. Open the box and the first thing you see is the installation instructions. Just 4 easy steps to access your own music stored on your computer, thousands of free Internet radio stations from all over the world and millions of songs from online music services such as Napster. There is also a line-in so you can connect to any MP3 player, CD player or similar. It took me approximately 5 minutes to get it out of the box and working with both internet radio and music from my computer. The instructions are simple and straightforward to follow, I was surprised by just how quick and easy it was.

The Sonos S5 is described as a wireless multi-room system, and it is, but if it is your only Sonos component you will need to connect it directly to your router (ethernet cable provided) so that it can create the necessary Sonos network and provide the access to the internet based services. The best solution is to purchase a ZoneBridge which is connected to the router instead and then your S5 can be plugged in anywhere and work wirelessly in connection with the ZoneBridge. Unfortunately I haven't got a Zonebridge, so my S5 is stuck in our home office next to the router at the moment.

The Sonos S5 is an expensive item but you certainly get great value out of the device with rich quality of the sound and superb clarity of both music and the internet radio. The radio has no hiss or crackle and considering the global selection of radio stations I can't see that DAB radio has any additional benefits over the quality of the radio that the S5 offers. I do have a DAB radio, and the sound quality appears the same to me. Audiophiles may be able to comment further.

The Sonos can be controlled through your computer but to gain the benefits of wireless control wherever you are in your home then you need to use a wireless controller. There is an additional Sonos Wireless Music Controller that you could purchase, but it is expensive. However, if you already have an iPhone or an iPod Touch you can download the free Sonos Controller App from the iTunes store and have exactly the same controller system that you would get on the dedicated Sonos Controller. I've installed in on my iPhone and it's responsive and accurate.

The only downside that I have discovered so far is that I now want to buy a ZoneBridge and more Sonos S5's for other rooms in the house - I'm not sure my bank balance can cope! If you can afford more than one S5 then you can arrange to have your S5s playing different music in different zones, or all S5s playing the same music (great if you love to throw parties!). If you have a large room then you can arrange two S5s to play stereo - one acting as the left channel and the other as the right channel. It's such a well thought out system.

I have no hesitation in highly recommending this system for the music or radio lover and you certainly don't need to be a techno-geek to get it working and get it working very quickly. Just make sure you buy a ZoneBridge as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 17 Dec 2013
I have run all the Sonos components, including the 5, for nearly five years. It runs 5 rooms in my house and in the garden. I recommend also B and W outside speakers that are also as reliable. The system is brilliant, the updates keeps the system modern and the sound is superb. Brilliant with Spotify. I have had no hardware failures and very few software problems. Sonos online team are second to none and resolve problems straight away. Treat yourself.