1,565 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A teenie tiny wonder
Having suffered from an internal WiFi card failure on my HP laptop (a common problem on some models), I've been looking to get a economical and reliable alternative, that'd quickly and effectively get me reconnected to the online world.

Published on 15 Sept. 2010 by G. Ward

I'm an IT technician and like to have a spare bit of kit in my toolbag. I purchased a few of these wireless USB adaptors because occassionally I get computers that have issues with the built in network card.

Published 13 months ago by Matt B

4.0 out of 5 stars A teenie tiny wonder, 15 Sept. 2010
G. Ward "Sotto Voce" (You are here ->) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter (Personal Computers)

My issue had been that the 'profile' of plug-in WiFi 'dongles', that all seemed to be about the same size (think about half the size of a mobile broadband dongle, and you're about there). Easily pocket size, but a larger profile meant that, realistically, they needed to be removed before moving a laptop about or packing it away.

THIS tiny lil' item takes all the worries away. I honestly can't imagine a WiFi adaptor getting that much smaller, as it only 'just' protrudes from my laptop's USB port. It's 'just enough' to be able to get a hold it on the rare occassions where I may need to remove it. I've not caught it on anything yet, so I'm more than happy to just leave it in situ'.

I've not tested connectivity away from my home hub yet, but so far everything has checked out to be just fine. Initialisation of the dongle, connection are responsive, signal strength and speed meters run right at the upper scale and are stable.

The packaging contains a basic set of (paper) installation instructions, the dongle, the (3") installation CD; and as mentioed in another review, that may cause a problem for owners of slot-loading drives.

I didn't have any issues, with the 'tray' drive on my laptop, with the installation taking only a couple of minutes; to request the disc, find the driver and complete the installation. It really was just a case of accepting a few installation steps and sitting back to let the laptop sort itself out.

There are cheaper, and probably just as effective, solutions, but I can't fault the quality or the easy of use of this great lil' item and won't hestitate in recommending this.

Just as a footnote, I've tested the installation against Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista Professional and Windows 7 Professional; and had no problems getting this installed and running.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for home computers - not so good for domain computers (IT technician), 5 Feb. 2014

I needed to use one of these yesterday and it happens. I had a client that had issues with the built-in network card. I had to reinstall windows and needed a WiFi dongle to download updates etc. The adapter worked ok for the initial download, but I ran into problems after joining the computer to the domain. No matter the configuration that's used - the adapter will not function on the login / welcome screen and also seems to drop the password when logged in.

Don't get me wrong - if you are a home user, this item will work fine for you. If you are looking to join your computer to a domain or work network, I would suggest the Netgear WN3100M instead - we have used this previously and never had an issue [...]

Pro's:
- Great for home users
- Very small size (does not stick out very far)
- Good coverage

Con's:
- Bad for domain computers (issue with login / welcome screen)
- Occasionally forgets WiFi credentials and needs re-adding.

- Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bit of kit I've bought in years, 17 Nov. 2010
L. Baxter (UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for an old laptop that had no wireless connectivity built in. The laptop is pretty old and runs an old version of Windows XP (it hadn't been connected to the internet for a couple of years so therefore was not up to date with the latest Microsoft updates). My network is modern and uses WPA2 encryption.

This network adapter is very, very tiny, protruding probably about 7mm from the socket. Installation was faultless and the only thing I needed to do was enter the network key, after which it has performed brilliantly.

I've configured and used several different types of network adapters in the past and they all seem very flakey in the way they install and work, usually giving sporadic problems and patchy coverage. This is not the case however with this adapter which seems to work faultlessly - it's so refreshing to have technology that works well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raspberry Pi, 25 Jun. 2012
Works perfect with my raspberry pi :)
Just make sure you run it on the direct ports and not through a hub
Just run this script: [...] and your good togo...

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, 24 July 2010
Neil Attrell "Neil Attrell" (Holloway, London) - See all my reviews
Can't imagine wireless adaptors geting any smaller; just make sure you don't lose it! Connectivity is fine: signal strength and speed meters run at or near 100%.

The only reason I'm witholding a star from the rating is for the software side of the package. Windows cannot handle installation of the device, and the included driver must be used. This is provided on a mini-CD, which for owners of slot-loading drives will be an issue.

Incidentally, the CD didn't Auto-run the Setup Wizard as it should have done (possibly Windows 7's fault more than the product's). After trying to run Setup manually and failing to connect, I double-clicked the disk icon and the Wizard ran. The adaptor then installed effortlessly. From a user comment on the manufacturer's website it appears I'm not the first to experience this problem.

Hopefully my comments will help other purchasers. This one caveat aside, I have no reservations about recommending this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars A few problems, 19 Mar. 2015
Easy to install the drivers onto my new Windows 7 machine and after a few failed adapters, I splashed out on something a bit more expensive and got this. It all seemed to run fine at the start, but only now have I noticed that isn't the case.

At first, it wouldn't even fit into the stand it came with and I didn't want to force it, so to my dismay I stuck it in an ISO USB slot, hoping it wouldn't affect the signal as I am on the other side of the house - and upstairs - to the router. It does change between 2-5 bars but mostly stays around 4, and the drivers have the cool tool of telling you the link quality. Worked fine at the start, got my basics, Chrome, Steam, etc.

Then I noticed when I go onto a specific online game, the Internet really slows down and I get booted from the game often. It has it's good days, so I mostly blamed the router and just played something else. My parents's computer is downstairs, so the other day I got some of my save files from Steam and put them onto my computer, planning to install the games then merge the folders so the save files will be overtaken. Now, my parents pay for 10mb/s Internet and at best, my phone gets 3mb/s and the other computers get 1mb/s. It took 4 hours to download 45mb of a game, I got so angry I just turned off the computer.

What was odd was that my parents haven't had any problems with the Internet fluctuation, and up until that point I was blaming the Internet router as I downloaded inSSIDer and noticed the link going from -63db to -79db rather rapidly and changing a lot, but if it is as bad as it said, my parents definitely would have noticed it by now.

Currently, I'm sat on my netbook which struggles to open a web page and with my phone which struggles to connect to Google Play, sat in the same room as my computer, watching it struggle to download Portal from Steam. Also everything in this room dropped wifi connection temporarily, and it's been perfect all day, u[ until this adapter connected to the router.

I could be wrong, it might not be the adapter, but that's currently my deduction after spending a few weeks with the Internet goofing off after using it on my computer, and only after it had been turned on. But this also could just be a super rare thing to do with interference and signals and etcetera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Hackintosh OSX 10.6, 3 Jun. 2011
Tamlyn (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This thing is ridiculously small. Any smaller and you wouldn't be able to pull it out of the USB socket.

I got it to use with an old laptop on which I installed Mac OS X. I just had to install the drivers and it all worked flawlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 10 Nov. 2010
M. MCPARTLAND - See all my reviews
Given the size of this thing I didnt think the signal strength would be great but its perfect - best wifi dongle Ive ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edimax EW-7811UN on Windows 7 (32-bit), 29 Mar. 2011
Device works great in an Acer netbook running Windows 7 (32-bit). Did not use the provided mini CD, as Windows Update picked up the device immediately as a Realtek adapter. Realtek make the chipset/internals for this adapter and Edimax then sells it on. I also found Realtek drivers online that are more up to date than the ones on Windows Update and are nicely signed too, so I used those to upgrade the drivers to the latest revision.
Worked on both a mixed G/N network and then on native N network (I turned of G once I got this because the netbook was the last device in the network). From my access point/router I can see that with a 40 MHz band the card can easily negotiate a 150Mbps.

It is not clear from the pictures, but there is a little blue LED light on top of the adapter to show network activity (on the top black portion of the device, situation right between the i and m in Edimax).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sept. 2010
I purchased this product for a laptop that had faulty internal wifi. The battery is also showing age, so I decided on this due to its small size and therefore low energy demands.

On opening the product, even after seeing the images, I still could not believe how small this is, especially compared with the Netgear one that came with my router. Its discreet and can remain in the USB slot - its so small it is actually difficult to remove!

The product comes with a CD to install the drivers required, but instead I plugged my laptop directly into the internet cable and used Device Manager/Windows Update to find the drivers instead. Took around 2 minutes to install, and found the wireless network immediately.

When in operation, the product features a pleasing blue LED that they have somehow squeezed into that small case. Its not very bright, but it lets you know that the device is there and working. It generates a small amount of heat during use, but certainly nothing you would notice on your lap. The range is an improvement over my Netgear 'G' adapter as expected, the connection is constant and the pages load quicker than with the internal wifi (when it was working), despite being used with a 'G' router.

Overall, a great product. Cheap, low energy, low heat and a great connection. Definitely worth the money, for both laptops and desktops alike.

EDIT: For anyone using Linux, the drivers are not included with the current kernel (2.6.35-23), but can be downloaded from the edimax website and are easy enough to install.