1,635 Reviews
 (1,038)

4.0 out of 5 stars A teenie tiny wonder
Having suffered from an internal WiFi card failure on my HP laptop (a common problem on some models), I've been looking to get a economical and reliable alternative, that'd quickly and effectively get me reconnected to the online world.

Published on 15 Sept. 2010 by G. Ward

I'm an IT technician and like to have a spare bit of kit in my toolbag. I purchased a few of these wireless USB adaptors because occassionally I get computers that have issues with the built in network card.

Published 14 months ago by Matt B

4.0 out of 5 stars A teenie tiny wonder, 15 Sept. 2010
G. Ward "Sotto Voce" (You are here ->) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter (Personal Computers)

My issue had been that the 'profile' of plug-in WiFi 'dongles', that all seemed to be about the same size (think about half the size of a mobile broadband dongle, and you're about there). Easily pocket size, but a larger profile meant that, realistically, they needed to be removed before moving a laptop about or packing it away.

THIS tiny lil' item takes all the worries away. I honestly can't imagine a WiFi adaptor getting that much smaller, as it only 'just' protrudes from my laptop's USB port. It's 'just enough' to be able to get a hold it on the rare occassions where I may need to remove it. I've not caught it on anything yet, so I'm more than happy to just leave it in situ'.

I've not tested connectivity away from my home hub yet, but so far everything has checked out to be just fine. Initialisation of the dongle, connection are responsive, signal strength and speed meters run right at the upper scale and are stable.

The packaging contains a basic set of (paper) installation instructions, the dongle, the (3") installation CD; and as mentioed in another review, that may cause a problem for owners of slot-loading drives.

I didn't have any issues, with the 'tray' drive on my laptop, with the installation taking only a couple of minutes; to request the disc, find the driver and complete the installation. It really was just a case of accepting a few installation steps and sitting back to let the laptop sort itself out.

There are cheaper, and probably just as effective, solutions, but I can't fault the quality or the easy of use of this great lil' item and won't hestitate in recommending this.

Just as a footnote, I've tested the installation against Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista Professional and Windows 7 Professional; and had no problems getting this installed and running.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for home computers - not so good for domain computers (IT technician), 5 Feb. 2014

I needed to use one of these yesterday and it happens. I had a client that had issues with the built-in network card. I had to reinstall windows and needed a WiFi dongle to download updates etc. The adapter worked ok for the initial download, but I ran into problems after joining the computer to the domain. No matter the configuration that's used - the adapter will not function on the login / welcome screen and also seems to drop the password when logged in.

Don't get me wrong - if you are a home user, this item will work fine for you. If you are looking to join your computer to a domain or work network, I would suggest the Netgear WN3100M instead - we have used this previously and never had an issue [...]

Pro's:
- Great for home users
- Very small size (does not stick out very far)
- Good coverage

Con's:
- Bad for domain computers (issue with login / welcome screen)
- Occasionally forgets WiFi credentials and needs re-adding.

- Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bit of kit I've bought in years, 17 Nov. 2010
L. Baxter (UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for an old laptop that had no wireless connectivity built in. The laptop is pretty old and runs an old version of Windows XP (it hadn't been connected to the internet for a couple of years so therefore was not up to date with the latest Microsoft updates). My network is modern and uses WPA2 encryption.

This network adapter is very, very tiny, protruding probably about 7mm from the socket. Installation was faultless and the only thing I needed to do was enter the network key, after which it has performed brilliantly.

I've configured and used several different types of network adapters in the past and they all seem very flakey in the way they install and work, usually giving sporadic problems and patchy coverage. This is not the case however with this adapter which seems to work faultlessly - it's so refreshing to have technology that works well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raspberry Pi, 25 Jun. 2012
Works perfect with my raspberry pi :)
Just make sure you run it on the direct ports and not through a hub
Just run this script: [...] and your good togo...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for general purpose but speed/latency issues make it of questionable use for gaming, 24 Oct. 2011
B. King (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought this after having to use an old USB pen drive sized "Dongle" style adapter when our PowerLine adapters died. Didn't like having the large dongle sticking out of the top panel ports on my desktop machine. A friend had purchased one of these for a general purpose machine and had good things to say about it. Thought at the price (~£9) had nothing to lose. Adapter reports full signal strength most of the time which I find hard to believe. I get slower download speeds than with the older Netgear WN111 USB Wireless N Adapter (1.2mbit/s vs 1.8mbit/s) and also seem to experience fairly severe spikes in latency. Had online games seem to pause for 5-10 seconds, and disconnects even when the adapter still reports full signal strength. Going to investigate further and see if it's down to roaming/searching for better wireless connection as I experienced that sort of problem before.

I'll update this review once I've owned this for a bit longer but have a feeling this isn't quite as good as the packaging/advertising would have you believe.

Update 30/03/2012:
This now lives at the back of a drawer and I've gone back to using my Netgear WN111 USB. Latency issues meant it just wasn't good enough for any online gaming purposes. Nice to have as a backup I guess, but wouldn't really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edimax Wireless N Nano adaptor, 6 Aug. 2011
Before going to the trouble of running Cat 5 cable I took a chance on buying this Wireless N adaptor as a lazy way to network a semi-retired Mac Mini and hook it up to a bedroom TV (iTunes, Catchup TV etc). When I saw this tiny device I had my doubts... the Mac is hidden behind the TV and a reasonable distance from the router in a downstairs room. But it worked a treat, set up was pretty straightforward and it sits unobtrusively in the USB port (these are quite tightly packed on the older Mac Mini) without fouling another adaptor for a wireless keyboard. Apart from running a bit hot (too soon to say what that means for longevity...) in use I can't really fault it; and nothing to grumble at about the price either. Mac users have to download drivers (at least they did when I bought my adaptor which was admittedly a while back) - so you will either need access to another PC or be able to temporarily plug in to an ethernet port.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 11 Jun. 2011
I bought this for my wife's new HP G62 laptop which seemed to have a flaky internal wi fi receiver.

Yes, the laptop should really have gone back for warranty repair or replacement but we didn't want the hassle or the wait.

This little gizmo seemed to get quite mixed reviews but for the price it seemed to be worth trying instead of a costly special delivery return of the PC.

Set up was easy, Windows 7 didn't find the correct driver so we had to use the supplied CD. Once installed, it found our Virgin Media network with no trouble with a good strong signal all over the house ( 1923 built 4 bed detached with thick brick walls ). It's been working fine for a week now.

Even better is that it's so small that it hardly protrudes from the side of the machine at all and therefore isn't prone to getting broken and can be left in place all the time.

If we ever need another wi fi USB adaptor, this is what we will get.

2.0 out of 5 stars A few problems, 19 Mar. 2015
Easy to install the drivers onto my new Windows 7 machine and after a few failed adapters, I splashed out on something a bit more expensive and got this. It all seemed to run fine at the start, but only now have I noticed that isn't the case.

At first, it wouldn't even fit into the stand it came with and I didn't want to force it, so to my dismay I stuck it in an ISO USB slot, hoping it wouldn't affect the signal as I am on the other side of the house - and upstairs - to the router. It does change between 2-5 bars but mostly stays around 4, and the drivers have the cool tool of telling you the link quality. Worked fine at the start, got my basics, Chrome, Steam, etc.

Then I noticed when I go onto a specific online game, the Internet really slows down and I get booted from the game often. It has it's good days, so I mostly blamed the router and just played something else. My parents's computer is downstairs, so the other day I got some of my save files from Steam and put them onto my computer, planning to install the games then merge the folders so the save files will be overtaken. Now, my parents pay for 10mb/s Internet and at best, my phone gets 3mb/s and the other computers get 1mb/s. It took 4 hours to download 45mb of a game, I got so angry I just turned off the computer.

What was odd was that my parents haven't had any problems with the Internet fluctuation, and up until that point I was blaming the Internet router as I downloaded inSSIDer and noticed the link going from -63db to -79db rather rapidly and changing a lot, but if it is as bad as it said, my parents definitely would have noticed it by now.

Currently, I'm sat on my netbook which struggles to open a web page and with my phone which struggles to connect to Google Play, sat in the same room as my computer, watching it struggle to download Portal from Steam. Also everything in this room dropped wifi connection temporarily, and it's been perfect all day, u[ until this adapter connected to the router.

I could be wrong, it might not be the adapter, but that's currently my deduction after spending a few weeks with the Internet goofing off after using it on my computer, and only after it had been turned on. But this also could just be a super rare thing to do with interference and signals and etcetera.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's small, it works - but performance is poor, 2 Nov. 2011
A. Silke (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this wireless adapter in the hope of taking advantage of the improved speeds offered by my new "N" specification modem router. The results have been disappointing.

The adapter is indeed very small and discreet, and was simple to install on my WinXP system using the bundled drivers on a mini CD.

However, despite advertising a maximum connection speed of 150Mbps, in practice that is impossible to achieve. If I put the laptop right next to the router I get 72Mbps, despite signal strength showing as 100%. It's an improvement over the "G" spec adapter, but it's hardly mind-blowing.

I've tried everything possible to tweak the setup, but to no avail. I've downloaded the latest drivers for the USB adapter, latest firmware for the router, tried everything in both 11n and 11b/g/n compatibility mode, and tried both 20mhz and 40mhz bandwidth. The result is always the same - connection capped at 72Mbps.

There are other problems. Despite the promises about the improved range of the "N" standard, performance drops off very quickly when you move away from the router (even if you maintain clear line of sight). If I get more than 10 feet away the performance is so poor I'm better off switching back to my old "G" spec adapter.

This is my first foray into "N" spec wireless and it may be that I'm missing something. But I'm pretty competent technically and I just can't seem to get the equipment to equal the performance promised in the spec. Edimax's technical support were unhelpful, so this item is being returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get it to work with Vista; works fine with Ubunu!, 8 Feb. 2011
Mark Whitehead (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This had me pulling my hair out to start with!

I run Ubuntu and Vista on an HP laptop which had intermittent and crap wireless.

Vista- Attempting to install on Vista was just a waste of time (just like Vista itself, hence why Ubuntu is also on there!) I tried everything I could think of- installation always *appeared* to work, but never actually allowed the laptop to get a signal; on the next power-up it would report an error that I never found out how to resolve.

Ubuntu- Neither the installation CD nor Edimax.co.uk had any Linux drivers, but the Edimax.COM *does*. With the help of Ubuntu forums I got it installed and it works perfectly now. Notice that the Linux drivers are unsupported at the moment, so you have to rebuild them every time there's a major update. However if you run Linux you're probably used to having to do things like that anyway :-)

So anyway, it's the tiniest thing ever, perfect for use with a laptop. If it was a full or even half-length USB widget my wife would have snapped it off within minutes of starting to surf the web for shoes. But with this in its miniscule form, there's no worry there!

It's mainly used in the same room as the router, so the fact it gets full bars signal and connects at the router's maximum 54mbps isn't much of a surprise. We haven't had any problems with data dropouts or network disconnection, but then we're just using it for general surfing and nothing with high throughput.

Why more people don't make wireless dongles this tiny is beyond me- it's great. The trouble with the Vista drivers knocked it down a star. Linux will wrap the drivers up at some point I'm sure. Till then it's a minor inconvenience and overall I'm very happy.