1,055 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bit of kit I've bought in years
I purchased this for an old laptop that had no wireless connectivity built in. The laptop is pretty old and runs an old version of Windows XP (it hadn't been connected to the internet for a couple of years so therefore was not up to date with the latest Microsoft updates). My network is modern and uses WPA2 encryption.

This network adapter is very, very tiny,...
Published on 17 Nov 2010 by L. Baxter

3.0 out of 5 stars Linux support sadly lacking, otherwise perfect
Decided to add an old vaio laptop to my Mac network and this seemed ideal. Getting windoids up and running was as easy as sticking usb plug in, inserting driver disc and following the simple instructions.

A choice of 12 wireless servers popped up to choose from - fairly easy, mine was the encrypted one. Beyond that, there was absolutely no configuring to do - I...
Published 21 months ago by Ivan Bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bit of kit I've bought in years, 17 Nov 2010
L. Baxter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter (Personal Computers)

This network adapter is very, very tiny, protruding probably about 7mm from the socket. Installation was faultless and the only thing I needed to do was enter the network key, after which it has performed brilliantly.

I've configured and used several different types of network adapters in the past and they all seem very flakey in the way they install and work, usually giving sporadic problems and patchy coverage. This is not the case however with this adapter which seems to work faultlessly - it's so refreshing to have technology that works well!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 20 Dec 2011
This is a perfectly good wireless-b/g/n network adapter.

Reports 300Mbps at close range; from 3 rooms away it reports only 1Mbps but still works, a better signal might be possible by using the supplied USB extension to move it around, I have not tried.

On Windows XP a driver is required, but it is not necessary to run the installation from the CD - if you are still running XP like me, the last thing you need is to install any more 3rd party software packages... the best way to install the driver is:

* Enter the supplied CD, but close the Edimax installer that might pop up.
* Plug the adapter in.
* Wait for the Windows driver installer to pop up.
* Tell the windows driver installer that you will locate the driver on a disk.
* Browse to the 'Utility\88_91_92_SU_Driver' folder on the CD and select the sub-folder of your OS (WinXP in my case).
* Windows does the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars A teenie tiny wonder, 15 Sep 2010
G. Ward "Sotto Voce" (You are here ->) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having suffered from an internal WiFi card failure on my HP laptop (a common problem on some models), I've been looking to get a economical and reliable alternative, that'd quickly and effectively get me reconnected to the online world.

My issue had been that the 'profile' of plug-in WiFi 'dongles', that all seemed to be about the same size (think about half the size of a mobile broadband dongle, and you're about there). Easily pocket size, but a larger profile meant that, realistically, they needed to be removed before moving a laptop about or packing it away.

THIS tiny lil' item takes all the worries away. I honestly can't imagine a WiFi adaptor getting that much smaller, as it only 'just' protrudes from my laptop's USB port. It's 'just enough' to be able to get a hold it on the rare occassions where I may need to remove it. I've not caught it on anything yet, so I'm more than happy to just leave it in situ'.

I've not tested connectivity away from my home hub yet, but so far everything has checked out to be just fine. Initialisation of the dongle, connection are responsive, signal strength and speed meters run right at the upper scale and are stable.

The packaging contains a basic set of (paper) installation instructions, the dongle, the (3") installation CD; and as mentioed in another review, that may cause a problem for owners of slot-loading drives.

I didn't have any issues, with the 'tray' drive on my laptop, with the installation taking only a couple of minutes; to request the disc, find the driver and complete the installation. It really was just a case of accepting a few installation steps and sitting back to let the laptop sort itself out.

There are cheaper, and probably just as effective, solutions, but I can't fault the quality or the easy of use of this great lil' item and won't hestitate in recommending this.

Just as a footnote, I've tested the installation against Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista Professional and Windows 7 Professional; and had no problems getting this installed and running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raspberry Pi, 25 Jun 2012
Works perfect with my raspberry pi :)
Just make sure you run it on the direct ports and not through a hub
Just run this script: [...] and your good togo...

5.0 out of 5 stars Edimax EW-7811UN on Windows 7 (32-bit), 29 Mar 2011
Device works great in an Acer netbook running Windows 7 (32-bit). Did not use the provided mini CD, as Windows Update picked up the device immediately as a Realtek adapter. Realtek make the chipset/internals for this adapter and Edimax then sells it on. I also found Realtek drivers online that are more up to date than the ones on Windows Update and are nicely signed too, so I used those to upgrade the drivers to the latest revision.
Worked on both a mixed G/N network and then on native N network (I turned of G once I got this because the netbook was the last device in the network). From my access point/router I can see that with a 40 MHz band the card can easily negotiate a 150Mbps.

It is not clear from the pictures, but there is a little blue LED light on top of the adapter to show network activity (on the top black portion of the device, situation right between the i and m in Edimax).

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Hackintosh OSX 10.6, 3 Jun 2011
Tamlyn (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This thing is ridiculously small. Any smaller and you wouldn't be able to pull it out of the USB socket.

I got it to use with an old laptop on which I installed Mac OS X. I just had to install the drivers and it all worked flawlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little gadget, 8 April 2011
For something so small it's remarkable. This was a replacement for a netgear product (not windows 7 compatible hence why I upgraded). Cost a quarter of the price and has just as good a signal strength. Up to 60% at 30 metres with the signal going through an external house wall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, 24 July 2010
Neil Attrell "Neil Attrell" (Holloway, London) - See all my reviews
Can't imagine wireless adaptors geting any smaller; just make sure you don't lose it! Connectivity is fine: signal strength and speed meters run at or near 100%.

The only reason I'm witholding a star from the rating is for the software side of the package. Windows cannot handle installation of the device, and the included driver must be used. This is provided on a mini-CD, which for owners of slot-loading drives will be an issue.

Incidentally, the CD didn't Auto-run the Setup Wizard as it should have done (possibly Windows 7's fault more than the product's). After trying to run Setup manually and failing to connect, I double-clicked the disk icon and the Wizard ran. The adaptor then installed effortlessly. From a user comment on the manufacturer's website it appears I'm not the first to experience this problem.

Hopefully my comments will help other purchasers. This one caveat aside, I have no reservations about recommending this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sep 2010
I purchased this product for a laptop that had faulty internal wifi. The battery is also showing age, so I decided on this due to its small size and therefore low energy demands.

On opening the product, even after seeing the images, I still could not believe how small this is, especially compared with the Netgear one that came with my router. Its discreet and can remain in the USB slot - its so small it is actually difficult to remove!

The product comes with a CD to install the drivers required, but instead I plugged my laptop directly into the internet cable and used Device Manager/Windows Update to find the drivers instead. Took around 2 minutes to install, and found the wireless network immediately.

When in operation, the product features a pleasing blue LED that they have somehow squeezed into that small case. Its not very bright, but it lets you know that the device is there and working. It generates a small amount of heat during use, but certainly nothing you would notice on your lap. The range is an improvement over my Netgear 'G' adapter as expected, the connection is constant and the pages load quicker than with the internal wifi (when it was working), despite being used with a 'G' router.

Overall, a great product. Cheap, low energy, low heat and a great connection. Definitely worth the money, for both laptops and desktops alike.

EDIT: For anyone using Linux, the drivers are not included with the current kernel (2.6.35-23), but can be downloaded from the edimax website and are easy enough to install.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a PI!!!, 13 Aug 2012
Bought one of these to use with my Raspberry Pi, it's a nice little tiny device (that if you're lucky you can power using your Raspberry Pi). It is one of the more supported chipsets and handy tool to have.

At this price, would recommend.

Buy yourself one now!