5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D90 Battery Grip
Published on 30 Aug 2010 by Shootist

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes the camera last much longer but sometimes loses power
I've got one of these for my D90 and it provides a great deal of flexibility for longer shooting sessions. It is a good quality build for the price and gives a good extra weight to the camera.

Published 19 months ago by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D90 Battery Grip, 30 Aug 2010
This review is from: Battery Grip MB-D80 for Nikon D80 D90 SLR Digital Camera (Electronics)
I purchased this item with the hope of extending the time I could use the camera in one shoot. I got more. It makes the camera a lot easier to hold in both landscape and profile positions. It is totally compatible with my camera and I can view the amount of battery life left to a precise level and even the age of the batteries in use. The small remote that is supplied with the grip is a little bit of fun, but not a lot of use to me personally, overall: GREAT BIT OF KIT, AND IT EVEN MAKES THE CAMERA LOOK BETTER TOO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery grip for NikonD90, 29 Nov 2011
E. Hulme - See all my reviews
I wanted a battery grip for many reasons, not the least of which was something to rest my little finger on. Among other reasons were the need to balance the camera/lens set-up properly and to take a far greater number of shots without having to change the battery. I'd put off getting one for along time as the cost of the Nikon item was more than I was prepared to pay and I was wary of taking the risk of buying a non genuine one. Having read the reviews of the Meike one sold by Happy Sales I took the plunge and ordered it. Even by standard, free delivery it arrived the day before the earliest estimated date. A good start, I thought.

The grip fitted the D90 like a glove; so well, in fact, it looked as though it had grown on the body. No gaps or looseness anywhere and with my heaviest lens it all handles like a dream. I found myself using shutter speeds that I thought would mean my using my tripod or increasing film speeds far higher than I would have liked, thanks to the extra weight and solid feel of it.
This grip does everything that the Nikon one can do, and does it faultlessly. The shutter release button on the grip itself makes vertically held shots a doddle, and so comfortable too. The batteries slide in and out smoothly and the clips that hold them in place prevent any chance of their being accidentally dropped when changing them. Battery charge and aging can be checked as can which of the two batteries is being used at the time.

I first used the grip when taking some late evening shots of the Christmas lights in the local shopping precinct and there wasn't a shaky one among them. The screwed base enables me to use an off-camers flash bracket or fit my quick release tripod fitting without fear of anything coming loose and falling off. The two wheels do exactly what those on the camera will do and they can be programmed in the same way. All in all, this item has to be the bargain of the year. Of course, time alone will tell how long it will last but what I see of it leads me to believe it will last as long as the Nikon one.

For less than a third of the cost of the Nikon grip, this little beauty is incredible value for money.
E. Hulme.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product.for d80 nikon., 12 Aug 2010
M. J. Cronin - See all my reviews
I purchased this battery grip for my nikon D80. YES it is the cheapest one there.
As I wanted one for the occasional use. And I am delighted with it. Works fine.
So cannot fault it at all.Great price great delivery from this seller.
Happy sales' Thanks to you and Amazon.
from. M.J.Cronin Bridgend. S/Wales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy Nikon?!, 21 April 2012
Joe Goldman (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Product arrived on first day of estimated delivery date (4 working days after ordering).

The package included the grip, which is the Meike MK-D90, and a remote (which is a copy of the nikon one, which I owned anyway, but this one is just as good quality, and works perfectly well).

The grip has a similar surface texture to my D90 and the rubberised grip area has a more rubbery feel to it, it is also a different appearance. The unit does feel a bit plasticy, but then again so does the D90! The grip feels very well made, and as far as I can tell (without actually owning one) it is exactly the same design as the genuine Nikon one.

My only concern is that the battery door does feel a little weak, but so long as you are careful, i doubt this will ever be of concern to you.

I have tried this with both 6AA batters (in the included battery holder) and using 1, and 2 Nikon EN-EL3e battery packs. When using 2 batteries in the camera, you can see the levels of each battery in the menu, the camera will use the battery with the least charge first, and then switches to the other battery. The 6AA batteries were pretty much dead, and the camera did not stay on long enough for me to test it all properly, but as far as I can tell it worked fine.

The camera fells much nicer in the hand with the grip on, the on camera grip is somewhat extended, and the battery grip is a bigger grip anyway. The camera also feels a lot more balanced (especially when I have the SB-600 and 18-105 on there! I would very much recommend that you get a second battery for your camera as well, because not only do you get double the shooting time, I think the whole thing feels more balanced with two batteries as well.

It does take a little while to get used to having a grip on the camera, but after 15 minutes, if you take the grip off, you will wonder how you ever managed without it!

The battery grip, (especially with two batteries in) does add a notable weight to the camera, and my D90 does not fit into my lowpro top loader with the grip on, so if your planning on using a camera + grip for taking photos on a family walk or on holiday, I would think again, however if you mainly do studio work, and events photography like myself, then i would class a battery grip as a must have accessory, since it just makes shooting so much more comfortable and natural.

Overall I think this is a fantastic product, and I can't see what nikon have on their own one that means that it has to cost £100 more! For the sake of a slightly different texture and appearance (although it's hardly noticeable to anyone other than a perfectionist), i really can not see why you would ever get the genuine one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fast delivery - pleased with the product, 30 Nov 2011
Ms. R. Fryer (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
The grip came within 2 days of my order I was amazed but how fast they dispatched - well packaged and fitted straight onto my Nikon D90.
I've given this 4 stars because it does feel a little plasticky and cheap, but that's because it's made of plastic and it's cheap (good value for money) ;)

The grip part itself is rubberised so that has a good feel and comes complete with Command and Sub-Command Dials and a AE-L/AF-L button and the Shutter Button itself has a lock and feels pretty good when pressed or half-pressed for focussing. The MB-D80 also includes a AA battery tray should you decide to use them instead of the Lithium Batteries and a remote control.

A very good product that will extend the shooting time of your D80/D90 (as long as you have 2 Lithium Batteries in) and makes it more comfortable to shoot in Portrait.

Great value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery Grip MB-D80 for Nikon D80 D90 SLR Digital Camera, 14 Mar 2012
The price of the genuine Nikon version is somewhat prohibitive. A friend has one on his camera and it is difficult to tell the difference between the two units. Having read the reviews and comparing this item with others, including the Nikon I decided to buy this item. It arrived quickly, four days sooner than expected. Full instructions and a AA battery cassette come with the unit. It's easy to attach to the camera and fits well. I am now able to use the spare D90 battery I have as this unit takes two. It makes portrait shots easier to take, with less camera shake and more control. I will be giving the grip a good workout over the next few weeks, but I don't forsee any problems after the short time I have used it. The price was unbeatable and the service from the seller. impecable. Also included was a free remote trigger unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just arrived., 8 May 2012
C. Mayhew (UK) - See all my reviews
I have just received one of these battery grips and I have to say i'm impressed so far.

Very easy to attach to the camera, I'm waiting for my two new batteries to arrive so I have my original Nikon one in at the moment but the battery info is showing both Left and Right information now.

I like that it adds that extra stability to the camera and makes it easier to shoot portrait with the second two press button.

It also balances out my flash gun with the extra added weight on the bottom which is great.

Impressed and glad I didn't go for the official Nikon one now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D90 battery grip, 3 Nov 2010
Having looked at the genuine Nikon version and baulked at the price I looked on Amazon and found loads of alternatives. Having read the reviews and comparing this item with others, including the Nikon (which looked exactly the same) I decided to make the purchase. The item arrived quickly, it's easy to attach to the camera and fits well. Having used for 2 weeks whilst on holiday it has worked well and improves the handling of the camera.
I'm really please with the product and the price I paid for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes the camera last much longer but sometimes loses power, 19 May 2013

My only criticism is that when shooting portrait I sometimes find the camera drops power and you get the flat battery icon on the camera display - even if the two batteries in the Grip are fully charged. It's easily solved by opening the battery bay, releasing the catches and closing them again but not ideal when you have a subject waiting.

4.0 out of 5 stars EDITED: Does work, just make sure you don't tighten too much!, 18 Sep 2013
I originally reviewed this with 1 star saying it didn't work after having an issue with it, but after reading about the over-tightening thing, I tried again and now it now works fine. Do not over-tighten the wheel that fastens the grip to your camera body or it might not work. I feel a bit daft that it was something so simple, but then it would be good to include something to this effect in the instructions!