4.0 out of 5 stars An absolute bargin and highly recommended.
Published on 2 Sep 2010 by Sleeping-Figure

Mixed feelings about these boots. I bought my first pair 2.5 years ago and I found them extremely comfortable straight out of the box and thereafter.

However ...

Published 21 months ago by Psi

4.0 out of 5 stars An absolute bargin and highly recommended., 2 Sep 2010
My last pair of boots were some reasonably expensive Lafuma gortexy boots, which I loved and abused. They weren't particulary waterproof but very comfortable. But, they finally gave up a few weeks ago in the peak district, so I need a new pair of boots quickly for another adventure last weekend. Browsing the net these looked to be the best value, and well rated in forums. So I took a chance.
These boots are great. I've been very impressed with the grippy soles, and the weather of Scotland didn't get in at all. After showing the insoles who's boss they were really comfortable and my feet felt great after a heavy going 6hr hike in the Highlands. And with a pot of boot wax handy they should last a while too.
An absolute bargin and highly recommended.
I think the only slight downside is the ankle support, which could be a bit lacking for some people. I found it was enough, but for others it might be a bit low. You could call it a high-mid boot I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry boots, 16 July 2010
Claptout (Shetland, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Out yesterday in the wet grass, waterlogged tracks and sodden boggy peat. The ground couldn't have been wetter! No sign of any water ingress - might as well have been wearing wellies. No sign of sweaty feet either. I've added a felt insole (under the original) for extra comfort and generally use standard gaiters or over-trousers. I took them out in similar wet conditions about a month ago and didn't have to clean, polish or proof them before going out yesterday. A comfortable fitting boot, I would recommend them for someone wanting a medium weight boot for all year round use. Though, if you want a boot with even a stiffish shank, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up, 20 Nov 2010
S. Wilkes - See all my reviews
I have had these boots for a few weeks and wear them daily. I have found the boot to be comfortable both on paved and soft paths, the grip they give over muddy or grassed surfaces is very good but when very new they are slippery when walking over rocks though after a few weeks of wearing the soles seam to have worn in to a point that the level of grip has improved, just be careful.

To maintain the waterproofing the boot must be kept clean, so after use clean as per instructions, else you will find that when mud has dried on the boot they can let a small ammount of water in, once cleaned the waterproof technology works as when new.

So far I have walked around 70 miles in these boots and have notice no significate wear in the sole or problems with the construction of the boot. These boots are an improvement over the Berghaus boots they replaced which I found wore very quickly. These feel like far more expensive boots than the price they are currently being sold at and they are value for money.

In conclusion I would recommend these to the average walker even those that would normally not consider Hi-Tec as a manufacturer to supply their footwear.

5.0 out of 5 stars dry feet, 31 Oct 2010
Great boots,worn with the right socks very comfortable very light and good grip on sole,in wet weather your feet stay dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi Tec, 9 Oct 2010
A. J. Murray (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
These boots are very comfortable and the sole is hard waring and waterproof! I do a lot of walking with my two dogs so I needed something comfy and waterproof and they fit the bill. In the shops they were 100 plus but on amazon I got them for 67. Arrived within 3 day's. Quality product at bargain price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 25 April 2011
My wife and I both have these boots and after passing the 1000 mile mark in them, I feel I can leave a proper review. We've had them through everything, including deep snow, wet grass, peat bogs, up fells and down dales. They get regular cleaning and waxing and have never leaked once. They are extremely comfortable and when they do wear out, I would happily buy them again. No, I don't work for Hitec, I'm just very happy with the product. Outstanding boots.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable but not necessarily that durable or waterproof, 6 July 2012

However ...

I wore them on a few slushy/snowy walks out of the box and that defeated the waterproofing. And wearing them in a boggy Lake District last October, they clearly let in water. It's not like my boots were ever full of puddles of water but my socks were definitely soaked to the point that some water could be wrung out of them.

Also, the durability is questionable. The laces gave up the ghost a long time ago and while laces are easily replaceable, that shouldn't happen so soon. Also, the uppers started detaching from the soles recently and so I decided to bin them. After roughly ten miles a week for 2.5 years, I'm not sure that should happen but then again, I have never tried to look after them properly (cleaning and reproofing).

At the price they are available now (55) they are very good value and since it's so hard to find boots that fit and are comfortable, I've bought more pairs. I hope the waterproofing has improved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Aug 2012
R. Willcocks (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these to replace my previous version of beloved VLites that I had for about 7 years and virtually lived in all year round (cool in the summer, warm and dry in the winter). These new ones are equally brilliant performance wise, straight out of the box comfort and no blisters, very light as you'd expect and fit perfectly, and the water-tightness was tested at a very wet and muddy festival in July where they were caked to the top in wet mud for several hours and stayed 100% watertight - even without the required cleaning to protect the waterproof coating. The Vikram soles are nice and grippy and flexible and provide good underfoot cushioning, which has proved invaluable when having to stand up on the train journey home for an hour. Overall a complete winner, no niggles or complaints so far and they remain my most reliable item of clothing (other than my Superman pants). Nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, 22 Feb 2012
These were bought in haste, as my previous 'long-lived' boots disintegrated suddenly and I had a walking weekend planned. I bought size 9 (normally UK 8.5 in shoes) ,wore appropriate socks and did 8 miles on them immediately out of the box. Dry feet and only 'new-shoe' issues.

Now they are worn in, I wear them almost daily and they are perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great value at the reduced price: SERIOUS DOWNGRADE, 7 May 2011
My original review was 5 stars, and is below. I liked these so much when I bought them that I immediately got a second pair.
Having an old pair to fully wear out, these did not get much use till recently. They are incredibly badly glued - I suspect they are seconds? The first pair leaks like a seive in even medium grass after 20 minutes, and the second pair would seem to be badly glued in the same way. Shockingly bad and a major dissapointment after initial impression.

These are classy boots. I have wide feet and have mostly found Hi Tec reliable over the years for good boots at a reasonable price. These are a step up in quality - so good I am ordering a second pair to put away.. They are 'warm' boots in that I don't think they breathe much, but if that does not bother you then you won't be disappointed.

ARRAY(0xb2f31cc0)