on 2 September 2010
My last pair of boots were some reasonably expensive Lafuma gortexy boots, which I loved and abused. They weren't particulary waterproof but very comfortable. But, they finally gave up a few weeks ago in the peak district, so I need a new pair of boots quickly for another adventure last weekend. Browsing the net these looked to be the best value, and well rated in forums. So I took a chance.
These boots are great. I've been very impressed with the grippy soles, and the weather of Scotland didn't get in at all. After showing the insoles who's boss they were really comfortable and my feet felt great after a heavy going 6hr hike in the Highlands. And with a pot of boot wax handy they should last a while too.
An absolute bargin and highly recommended.
I think the only slight downside is the ankle support, which could be a bit lacking for some people. I found it was enough, but for others it might be a bit low. You could call it a high-mid boot I think.
on 20 November 2010
I have had these boots for a few weeks and wear them daily. I have found the boot to be comfortable both on paved and soft paths, the grip they give over muddy or grassed surfaces is very good but when very new they are slippery when walking over rocks though after a few weeks of wearing the soles seam to have worn in to a point that the level of grip has improved, just be careful.

To maintain the waterproofing the boot must be kept clean, so after use clean as per instructions, else you will find that when mud has dried on the boot they can let a small ammount of water in, once cleaned the waterproof technology works as when new.

So far I have walked around 70 miles in these boots and have notice no significate wear in the sole or problems with the construction of the boot. These boots are an improvement over the Berghaus boots they replaced which I found wore very quickly. These feel like far more expensive boots than the price they are currently being sold at and they are value for money.

In conclusion I would recommend these to the average walker even those that would normally not consider Hi-Tec as a manufacturer to supply their footwear.
on 16 July 2010
Out yesterday in the wet grass, waterlogged tracks and sodden boggy peat. The ground couldn't have been wetter! No sign of any water ingress - might as well have been wearing wellies. No sign of sweaty feet either. I've added a felt insole (under the original) for extra comfort and generally use standard gaiters or over-trousers. I took them out in similar wet conditions about a month ago and didn't have to clean, polish or proof them before going out yesterday. A comfortable fitting boot, I would recommend them for someone wanting a medium weight boot for all year round use. Though, if you want a boot with even a stiffish shank, look elsewhere.
on 25 October 2013
The reason I bought two pairs is it took me a very long time this year to find a pair that I liked. After wearing my initial pair on a couple of outings I was more than pleased.

After seeing what a reasonable price they were on Amazon I decided to purchase a second pair to use once my initial pair wear.

Looking at how they are wearing that's a long time in the future as Hi-Tec in my opinion are now a very serious walking boots manufacturer that can hold their own against the big name manufactures who now seem to live on past glories while unfortunately keeping their prices artificially high.
on 20 September 2011
They are excellent. I suffer with arthritis in my ankle and the support and comfort these boots give allow me to walk across country with my dogs with no difficulty. I wear them everyday through mud and high grass. My feet remain dry and the boots are ready always for more exercise.
on 17 August 2012
Bought these boots Hi-Tec Men's Vlite Altitude Ultra Luxe Waterproof WPi Hiking Boot in November 2010. Wanted them for heavy duty gardening. They have been mostly brilliant - comfortable, warm and rugged. I was pleased to see they had Vibram soles but, in fact, this is where the disappointment lies. I have worn them pretty well every day so I cannot really complain, but the sole has started to split at the side and separate from the upper. I don't know if you can take this type of sole to a shoe repairer, but it seems very unfortunate that the boot will soon be unusable purely because of a fault in the sole. I might write to Vibram and see what they suggest.
on 30 April 2014
Great price for what looks to be a great boot. My story is similar to that of some other reviewers. The boot felt supremely comfortable straight out of the box, but following my maiden walk on tarmac of about a mile, I was left blistered around both ankles. I had just resigned my 10 year old Meindl Borneos to the great Boot locker in the sky. These felt about twice the weight of the Hi-tecs but cushioning around the ankle was about 10mm higher up the calf and remained comfortable even after a 6 hour walk.
After about 18months of Hi-tec, the boot still feels too hard around the ankle, and still rubs whilst wearing sock and liner. I have just purchased a new pair of Meindls (about 2.5x the price of hi-tec) and can again walk for miles in complete comfort. I am a size 10 narrow fitting.
Hi-tecs unloved in garage.
on 28 January 2013
Needed a reasonably priced, strong, but lightish weight pair of boots for my son to go on a World Challenge trip to Equador. Half the time was in the Amazon rain forest and the other half hiking in the Andes. He said the boot was comfortable and coped fine in both conditions, remaining waterproof and tough enough for the very rough terrain in the mountains. Worn almost every day for a month the soles are barely worn. I always prefer leather uppers to fabric on hiking boots and the leather came back only slightly scuffed. After rinsing with water and application of Dubbin they look as good as new. Very pleased
on 2 August 2012
I bought these to replace my previous version of beloved VLites that I had for about 7 years and virtually lived in all year round (cool in the summer, warm and dry in the winter). These new ones are equally brilliant performance wise, straight out of the box comfort and no blisters, very light as you'd expect and fit perfectly, and the water-tightness was tested at a very wet and muddy festival in July where they were caked to the top in wet mud for several hours and stayed 100% watertight - even without the required cleaning to protect the waterproof coating. The Vikram soles are nice and grippy and flexible and provide good underfoot cushioning, which has proved invaluable when having to stand up on the train journey home for an hour. Overall a complete winner, no niggles or complaints so far and they remain my most reliable item of clothing (other than my Superman pants). Nice.
on 3 October 2013
Only had it for 24 hours but just love them. Good value for money. Ready for British wet winter - to walk my dogs in comfort.

A slight observation - the leather at the top and the tongue is quite stiff - sure will quickly break-in. Does not stop me from wearing them.

Please note that the photo on Amazon website is slightly misleading regarding the colour - it is basically almost black brown.