4.0 out of 5 stars Blackbox i10 Earphones
These earphones are the second high end pair I have tried. Upon opening out of the packaging, they look well made and quite smart. The ear piece is very different to what I have tried before. The silicon case completely blocks the ear canal when you put them in your ears and fit comfortably. It is easy to tell which is which by the 'L' and 'R' put on the respective ear...
Published on 20 April 2011 by Reviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last very long
The sound quality and noise reduction are pretty good, but one earpiece stopped working after a few months and the fact that you need to unplug them every time when you need to recharge your i-pod gets a bit annoying after awhile.
Published 7 months ago by Reader123

5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Listening Experience, 23 Feb 2011
Mr. B. R. Good (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blackbox i10 ANR Active Noise Cancelling Earphone for iPod (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Blackbox i10 Active Noise Rejection (ANR) headphones by Phitek are probably an audiophiles dream.
I have been sampling and reviewing headphones of various type and price range, quality and build, for some time. This is an iPod specific product, complete with the well known 30 pin connector.

Phitek are experts in developing electro-acoustic technology products for the airline industry. Based in New Zealand they were formed to provide solutions to the air passenger listening experience - in particular, noise reduction.

The Sound:
Rich punchy bass and crystal clear treble. Tembre - the ability to distinguish different instruments in a busy mix of sound, is noticeable. Volume can reach much higher levels than many headphones, without any distortion.
I sampled using a range of audio including folk, country-rock, speech and pop.

The Noice Cancelling Technology:
Phitek own the trademark Active Noise Rejection(tm).
The ANR works by measuring noise and generating an "anti-noise" response. Anti-noise is an inverted copy of the noise itself (generated by one microphone in each earpiece and one in the medallion for monitor function). The Noise Cancellation is up to 22 decibel and passive isolation up to 35db.

But does it really cancel noise? Yes, and the best part is - no additional battery pack or power charger is required. The noise cancellation is stated at being up to 22db. This is pretty similar to the average level of a pair of foam earplugs.

I tested the headphones by taking a pencil and tapping it on a wooden surface near me (while playing country-rock, at medium to high volume). At first I can hear the tapping, but the sound miraculously begins to deaden as the microphones located on the earphones and volume control panel pick up and allow the cancellation to take place. Then I compared to a conventional pair of high quality in-ear `noise isolating' (not cancelling) phones, at same volume. While both pairs performed well, the difference was noticeable.
I tested in a similar way, by clicking my fingers, tuning a radio to create white noise and flicking a light switch. Interesting to note - if you place your finger tips on the headphone sockets while listening, you can hear the sound adjusting itself to the interference. Therefore proof that the product is alive and working well.

Summary:
At under 100, less than the price of other well known Sound Isolating Headphones you get an excellent listening experience and a hard carry case for your iPod too. They feel well made, coated in black rubber/silicone, surely able to withstand day to day use, in and out of pockets and bags. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... I never knew why people would fork out this much money for some earphones and now I know why., 19 Feb 2011
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first realised how much money was being charged for these earphones, personally I thought it was a bit of a joke... but really the joke was on me.

I tried this on both the iphone 3G and a normal ipod; with the iphone 3g I received a message stating that "This device is not made for the iphone and MAY cause noise distortion", I think this is because it's not an OFFICIAL Apple product, however just click dismiss button. On my ipod however it did not come up with a message.

The earphones come with a really smart case where you can store the earphones, it also fits my iphone. It comes with both small and large earbuds, which are probably the most comfy earphones I have ever tried.

Now it came to actually listening to the music and my god, I was blown away, I've never heard music sound so good before, it's one of those things you have to hear for yourself, the sound is very smooth/clear and the bass I got from it was fantastic.

While playing music on the iphone I couldn't adjust the music via the phone, you have to use the slider on the earphones which wasn't a big deal.

You also have a button on the slider where if you HOLD it, it will mute the music so you can hear people speaking to you.

Overall this product is absolutely brilliant, although the price is very steep if your the type of person that wants to fully appreciate sound quality and will use it a lot, then this item is definitely for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound and effective noise reduction, 21 Feb 2011
A. J. Gauld (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't afford the fancy Bose noise reduction phones and I've tried several so-called noise reduction budget phones and frankly none of them work any better than my basic Sennheiser in-ear phones. Then I tried these. They may not be exactly budget priced but they are a lot cheaper than the Bose's et al. They genuinely cut ambient sound significantly and as an added bonus the sound quality is at least as good as my Sennheisers. The only downside is that they only work on an iPod, they don't have any way of connecting to a standard headphone jack. I realise they probably draw power from the iPod for the electronics to work, but it would have been good to be able to use them as passive in-ear phones with a standard jack. At this price a simple adaptor surely could have been provided? That's the only reason they got 4 stars instead of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better then the other say!, 11 Feb 2011
These are one of the best sounding headphones I have ever had the pleasure of owning for this price!!!! And I have owned allot all the way up to 300.00 so it's a shame to see such bad reviews on them.

The reality is most people do use their iPhone to listen to their music, where these are really made for iPods and I'm sure that decision was made due to the interference of the phone but take this bit away (or put your iPhone on flight mode) and you have seriously good sounding headphones with noise canceling technology which runs off the mp3 players battery. The other option is to go for the C18's which are the same headset but run off the 3.5mm Jack and thus need a battery.

They fit extremely well (which is strange when you see their design) and the base response is off this planet! The same I would expect from a set of cans, not these little things.
The noise canceling is great and means you don't need to turn up the volume like you would on other headphones.

Those who reviewed them after using them on iPhone's, I feel you need a slap as these were never designed for them. As for those who think they don't sound as good as the Apple standard buds, well. . . . . . . yea, you clearly don't know much.

Cons:
- Does work with iPhones but displays a message and can get interference as the phones gains signal.
- Volume does not go too high (but then you don't really need this due to the noise canceling part).

Pros:
- Amazing sound! Seriously amazing! Great bass, perfect midrange and treble.
- Runs the sound canceling technology from the phone, so no need for a battery and does not seem to suck any of the power from the phone to notice.
- Great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, not sold on concept, 16 Oct 2010
I took my new i10s for a transatlantic flight and have mostly good things to say. Sound is very good, comfort is excellent and no worries about battery life because it charges off the iPod. Noise cancelling is perfect level for a plane. I could hear that a pilot announcement was being made, for instance, but had to mute them if I wanted to hear the words.

BUT - I needed to bring a second set of earbuds with me. I needed the regular pin type plug for the airplane's sound system and for my iPod when I had to attach the extra battery pack. I also reverted to my other set for walking through the airport, ground transport, etc. These are too noise cancelling for walking around safely.

Other than that, the volume slide isn't fine enough and it was hard to find the mute button with my fingers in the dark. But those are minor points.

Was I glad I bought them? Oh yes, for sure. Best flight I've had, sound wise. But they're a luxury because you do need the other set.
Blackbox i10 ANR Noise Cancelling Earphone made for iPod / iPhone 4 / 3GS / 3G

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with the iPhone, 9 Jan 2011
Despite what this listing may say, when I plugged these headphones into my iPHone 4 I received a warning messages saying that this peripheral was not compatible. The headphones did work, however they were subject to so much interference from the phone that it rendered them useless. As such I'm going to be sending these back to Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blackbox i10 Earphones, 30 Sep 2010
Hi, i have just received these earphones, purchased following a lot of reviews giving them the thumbs up.

well where do i start, sound quality, i have have been used to Bose earphones and these Blackbox dont match the in any way, when you increase the volume to max, which isnt loud at all, they breakup, quite a bit of distortion. they dont even match the quality of the earphones supplied by apple as standard with the 3gs phone. as for wearing these in the gym, the are nowhere near loud enough even with noise canceling to cancel out the noise even in the quietest of gyms.

Also when you are sending a txt or even connected to the network you get the horrible dedi dedi dedi coming through the earphones. Not Good

I bought these for 60 including delivery, i now feel somewhat ripped off, all i can say is that the people professionally reviewing these obviously dont want these for sound quality or much of any use at all.

Im sure there are way better earphones out there for that sort of money, better volume, quality and dont get the dreaded dedi dedi dedi

3.0 out of 5 stars Bassey, 21 July 2011
avl06 (The Village) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found these a little bassey and I'm not convinced the noise suppression was much better than standard in ear phones

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best, 22 Mar 2011
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly one word of warning - these earphones are specific to Apple and use the proprietary socket on Apple products. If you don't have an Apple these will be useless.

Secondly, I was rather disappointed with these. They are rather big in the ear and feel rather heavy. They also lack the sound quality of the likes of Sennheiser and similar brands. The noise cancellation is decent but not ground-breaking and there is still a significant amount of peripheral noise which breaks through, even in relatively quiet surroundings.

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity..., 19 July 2011
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones have proved to be a huge disappointment. I received the box, which was quite attractive and had that `expensive feel' to it.

The headphones come with a small carry pouch, which is a nice addition. However, that is where the positivity ends...

The headphones are fairly sturdy and seem as if they can take some abuse. The prime reason I was excited was due tot he iPhone compatibility. However, to my sadness, there is awful interference when I receive any calls. This is that all-so-familiar crackling noise one hears from cheap speakers, just before a mobile phone rings...

This is an absolute deal breaker, despite the sound quality being `okay' when listening to music. Of course, the sound quality is no way near other headphones in this price bracket... 2/5