4.0 out of 5 stars smooth like peanut butter :)
I'm a MAHOOSIVE Jack Johnson fan - so expect an ever so slightly bias review...

Jacks's first album -Brushfire Fairytales- was the classic soulful singer songwriter album.
His second -On and On- was more of the same but with more pro-active/preachy/politcal themes running through it.
The third album -In Between Dreams- flies into my Top10 Albums Ever;...
Published on 3 July 2010 by M. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars To the Sea
Published on 31 July 2010 by suzie Q

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars smooth like peanut butter :), 3 July 2010
M. Moore - See all my reviews
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
I'm a MAHOOSIVE Jack Johnson fan - so expect an ever so slightly bias review...

The third album -In Between Dreams- flies into my Top10 Albums Ever; it is the perfect chillaxed surf album.
On his fourth album -Sleep Through The Static- JackJ pulled a Dylan and went electric; the album grew on you...

Jack's latest album -To The Sea- at first feels like a load of songs that didn't make it onto previous albums.
But after the thirdish listen, it grows on you, and it becomes another JackJ classic.
As I'd said above, Jack Johnson's sound seems to evolve a bit with each album, and this is no exception, this album feels very much unmixed and raw, more like a live jam session than a polishd album; the result however is smooth like peanut butter :)

Album highlights include the funky single "You and Your Heart", the beautiful "My Little Girl", and the soulful "No Good with Faces"

Last week I went to see Jack Johnson live, the entire gig was amazing, and it was nice to see a few songs off this new album standing shoulder to shoulder with JackJ classics :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Master's Easy Charm, 31 May 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
Jack Johnson has always come across as a thoroughly
decent chap. The sort of dinner party guest who would
manage the order of his cutlery with confidence.
I imagine that the contents of his kitchen cupboards
are very well arranged and that he would not dare to
wear brown brogues with a blue suit.

His new album 'To The Sea' is nothing to be embarrased
about either. Thirteen tracks which deliver more of those
rounded, well-behaved and perfectly affable qualities
which we have come to expect from him.
Easy listening in the nicest possible way.

Mr Johnson knows how to craft a good tune and perform it
impeccably with a minimum of fuss and uneccesary decoration.
The absence of artifice is its greatest strength.

Recorded in his own studios over a brief three week period the
album possesses a vividly 'live' ambience. The eschewal of
overcomplex multi-tracking allows the simple arrangements room
to breathe and to make the strongest possible impact without
evidence of any undue strain, stress or tribulation.
Mr Johnson has an innate ability to relax and keep it real.

There are some really lovely songs in this collection.
The plaintive harmonica on 'No Good With Faces'
emphasises the tired and lonely emotional ambience of
the composition. Mr Johnson's laconic vocal delivery
pins down the mood of the piece with world-weary aplomb.

'From The Clouds' shimmers with sunny Caribbean charm.
Like Robert Palmer before him Mr Johnson understands
the importance of harmony and loose-limbed rhythm.
It is a delightfully laid-back performance.

'My Little Girl' and 'Turn Your Love' both tug at
our heart-strings. The backing vocals of the latter
are absolutely delightful. Simply perfect stuff!

'At Or With Me', a mid-paced rocker, shows off his fine
band firing on all six cylinders. Merlo Podlewski (bass),
Zach Gill (keyboards) and Adam Topol (drums) help our
hero (kicking out some impressively rugged guitar lines
himself) realise the good energy embedded in this fine song.

Final track 'Only The Ocean' is a beautiful invention;
one of the finest creations of his career in fact and
a worthy conclusion to this truly stunning album.
Mr Johnson just gets better and better.

Highly Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars To the Sea, 31 July 2010
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
I was waiting with bated breath for the new Jack Johnson album to arrive and it hasn't really lived up to my expectations. I find myself making an effort to play it to see if I like it more but so far it hasn't really captured my imagination, put it this way there are no tracks so far that make me want to sing along, it's just there playing in the background! Maybe it will grow on me who knows!

4.0 out of 5 stars Jack's back, 1 Jun 2010
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
Jack Johnson's latest offering To The Sea, is a light and uplifting slice of the classic JJ we all know & love. After the rather downbeat Sleep Through The Static, I was hesitant to find out whether he had continued in the same vein or returned to his roots, thankfully it's the latter.

On the first listen, you might feel that some of the tunes are a bit off balance; with some odd keys chosen for the song (most noticable in You & Your Heart) but this becomes part of the ethos of the album after a while. It's just a way of freshening up the perfect guitar & vocal harmonics of the earlier albums whilst keeping true to his style.

Stand-out tracks have to be: From the clouds - an extremely upbeat and smile-bringing tune about accepting that somethings are just not in your control, My Little Girl - a slow, soft & near-acapella tune about that someone special, simply hypnotic. At Or With Me has an excellent piano riff and bridge that will have you tapping your feet whilst Red Wine, Mistake and Mythology is also shaping up to be a tuneful future classic.

Recommended for new and old fans alike, great album, he's done it again!!

4.0 out of 5 stars After a few listens ..., 1 Aug 2010
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
... I really got into this album. I love Jack Johnson's music because it is so calming and easy to listen to. The problem I sometimes find, and particularly with this album, is that for the first few listens it is difficult to differentiate between songs and I certainly couldn't relate a song to one of the titles on the back of the album cover. But the more I listen the more each song takes on its own identity and at the moment this album is a constant companion of mine. Stand out song for me comes right at the end; 'Only the Ocean' is a truly beautiful song that I will never tire of listening to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but a little disappointing, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
A Jack Johnson album is never going to be a bad thing to listen to but this one doesn't get as much play time from me as "Sleep through the static" and "In between dreams"

4.0 out of 5 stars You learn to love it., 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Jack Johnson fan. I always have been, and he's most of the reason I decided playing the guitar was a good idea in the first place. So, being such a great fan of his, maybe it's inevitable that I was going to love this new album.

What's surprising is that I didn't, at first. This album didn't capture my ear the same way as his earlier ones did.

But I've had the album for months now, and every so often, one more song will play randomly and I'll think, "Why don't I know this song?! It's brilliant!"

So to all the doubters... I think our expectations are being challenged a little bit by Jack's recent style. But if you let it hit when you're not expecting it... you'll love this album. "From The Clouds" is brilliant, and very likely my favourite song on the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack is back., 30 May 2010
H. Rayner - See all my reviews
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
I have to say, when i ordered this album, i expected the best.
Jack's last album, 'sleep through the static' has to be one of my all time favorites, and this one fulfilled all expectations.
Songs like 'At or with me', 'From the clouds', 'The upsetter', and his single 'You and your heart' are more up beat, and reflect his previous work, similar to 'good people' and 'breakdown'. I have to say these are my favorite songs from this album. 'Red wine, mistakes, mythology' is a brilliant song aswell, with piano riffs that got my fingers tapping from start to end.
This album is definately worth buying and you would be missing out if you didnt.
Thankyou,muchlove,goodnight.

4.0 out of 5 stars To the sea, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
Thank you for prompt delivery. Taken as gift to Brisbane Australia - we have not yet reached there, so as yet untested, but I am sure will be absolutely fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Jack Johnson album, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: To The Sea (Audio CD)
Usual high standards from Jack, laid back with great tracks. Not as many stand out tracks as on other JJ albums but still good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›