5.0 out of 5 stars new fan
Brilliant first of a series - very evocative of India - My grandfather served in India in the period in which the book is set and it brought back memories of his tales of life there in the 1920s -I spotted the murderer fairly late on but was totally wrong as to the motive. I am now a fan and have already ordered the next books in the series.
Published on 10 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Has it all!
Steeped in 1920s Paris this book has it all! From Josephine Baker to Charles Lindbergh and best of all Joe Sandilands. A quite frightening plot and plenty of action. The entire Joe Sandilands series is very highly recommended!
Published on 5 Sep 2008 by P. Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars new fan, 10 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Last Kashmiri Rose (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surefire Winner !, 30 Aug 2001
As a fan of historical crime novels, a new novel set between the wars in India had great appeal for me. With so much run of the mill crime fiction being published, I really was not expecting too much. After a few pages it became clear that 'Last Kashmiri Rose' is something very special. Evoking clear pictures of a time long past, Ms Cleverly writes with a style and panache that keeps the pages turning to the very last. Excellent characterization and beautifully plotted this novel bears comparison with Charles Todd's - 'A Test Of Wills' and ranks alongside Rennie Airth's - 'River Of Darkness' (my top crime novel of 1999). A first rate debut, and the start of a new series; sadly I will have to wait a year for the next one. A Super Read - Don't Miss It !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder in the days of the Raj, 27 Jun 2008
After reading, A Bee's Kiss by Cleverly, I decided to check out her debut novel, and I'm glad I did. Her main protagonist, Joe Sandilands, a veteran of the Western Front and a member of the London Metropolitan Police, is on assignment to India for the purpose of sharing the latest techniques of Scotland Yard with local law enforcement officials. Just as he is about to return to London, he finds himself investigating the murder of an officer's wife which leads him to four older murders. I think Cleverly captured the atmosphere of the British Raj when the sun was just beginning to set on Britain's control over great swaths of India. I stayed up until the wee hours of the night to see "who done it."

5.0 out of 5 stars Intricately plotted, intelligent and surprising!, 7 Aug 2001
The writing is marvellous, the characters intriguing and unusual and the atmosphere (India 1922) terrific! Serious but light, sad but funny. More Joe Sandilands mysteries in the pipeline? I hope so!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, exciting denoument, delightful arch style, 8 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and eagerly await the next Joe Sandilands story. The mystery unfolds in a thoroughly comprehensible way - unlike so many crime thrillers -, the characters are believable and sympathetic, and the depth of knowledge of India and the social structure of Army life are both fascinating and impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and evocative, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Last Kashmiri Rose (Paperback)
"The Last Kashmiri Rose" is a simply stunning debut novel. Set in British India in the 1920s it is wonderfully evocative of the period, to the point where you can almost smell the India of the Raj in the pages. It is also a superbly twisted and crafted whodunnit which keeps the reader guessing. Cleverly's writing style is very reminiscent of "classic" British crime writing, especially Agatha Christie, with a taut feeling which whips along but without detracting from description and atmosphere. All in all, a marvellous novel which both historical fiction and British crime fans will thoroughly enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first of Barbara Cleverly's books that I read, 4 Jan 2013
I had never read Barbara Cleverly before, and found this after reading another book with Kashmir in the title.
Having loved India of this period all my life, and knowing the set-up, I found this to be a delightful read, with good detail of the lifestyle and characters.
There are plenty more of her series with the same detective chap which makes it rather comforting! If you finish one story there are others to choose from!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 18 Feb 2013
I'm going through a 'whodunnit' phase and, having worked my way through the usual suspects (pun intended), I have been scouring Amazon for more that aren't clunkily written, with believable characters, background and plot. Believe me, there are many out there that fall foul of these conditions. So I was delighted to alight upon this, Book 1 of the Joe Sandilands Mystery series. I doubt it would win any literary awards but it's a good yarn, well written and researched with its backdrop set in 1920's, pre-partitioned India. I like to come away from a book knowing at least one thing I didn't know before and The Last Kashmiri Rose didn't disappoint. For some reason Book 2 doesn't appear to be present in Kindle format. I'm hoping however that whichever one I download next is at least as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last Kashmir rose, 18 Feb 2013
Good light read easy to put down and pick up again. I didn't guess who the murderer was which is a bonus for me. I hate reading to the end having known who the murderer was halfway through the story. I am about to read another Barbara cleverly BOOK. Try one they are a good read and a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Kashmiri Rose, 7 April 2013
Brilliant book. Lots of colour and vibrant imagery. Loved the whole, tricky, convoluted thing. All the clues were there but I didn't solve it. Great fun. More!!!

ARRAY(0xab9efcfc)