Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£12.25

on 2 May 2013
The second Joe Sandilands book I read, and was prompted to buy more of the other in the series. I don't believe it is necessary to read them in order since they look to be stand alone stories, but nevertheless I am trying to read them in order. The ones I have so far read (three) are set it India and are very atmospheric with a well thought out plot and a few surprises, just the ticket for a good mystery detective read. I'm persuading my family to read these and have so far had good feed back from them.
on 17 February 2013
Unlike the previous reviewer I found this highly enjoyable. This book finds Commander Joe Sandilands on the restive North-Western Frontier visiting an old army friend at his outpost fort just below the Khyber Pass. Whilst there, Joe is entrusted to be an escort for a visiting American girl of both formidable financial and daredevil means. When the son of a Pathan tribal leader is discovered dead and by foul means, Joe must solve the murder and attempt to prevent a possible war on the Frontier.

Once again, Cleverly brilliantly evokes the British Raj in this novel and adeptly describes the hard landscape, climate and peoples of the North-Western Frontier. A very enjoyable read and my favourite Joe Sandilands book thusfar, plenty of colourful characters, intrigue and a fun read.
on 25 June 2014
Barbara Cleverly writes a good, rip roaring yarn. It seems very dated and the manner and customs of the time are stilted. many parts are not easy to go along with. The practicalities are brushed over. But the reader nevertheless does want to know what the ending is even of it is mostly obvious early on.
on 19 February 2013
I really enjoyed The Last Kashmiri Rose and this one is just as good, if not better. I recommend it.
on 28 June 2013
I am really enjoying this series of books, set in India and surrounding countries in the early 1900's. The lead character, Joe Sandilands, is well written and after reading a few books, you feel like you know him. Love the descriptions of how life would have been in those days, but glad I live now! I'm already reading the next one in the series, and have downloaded book 5, so you can safely say I'm enjoying them. If you like a bit of history and detective stories, give these books a try...you won't be disappointed!
on 6 April 2013
Am nearing the end of this tale of adventure on the North West Frontier, and as a big fan of Barbara Cleverly, am enjoying it very much!
As usual, she has written a book with brilliant background detail - her descriptions of the Khyber Pass and the tribal people's combine with the Indian Raj characters from the 1920's make this an easy read.
If you have travelled in that part of the world, you will enjoy it!
on 5 June 2013
I love these books. The plots are very clever and leave you guessing right to the end. The series is very atmospheric as set in India in the 20s and 30s. The books have very different plots so each one is a joy to read and I have never felt like I have read it before which you sometimes get in a series of books. Recommend it to anyone who loves a good story!
on 16 July 2013
This is one of a series with an unusual theme. It is set in the early 1920's and is about an English policeman who is seconded to the army in India around the time of the 'troubles'. A bit far fetched but an easy enjoyable read and a look at what was happening in India at that time.
on 28 June 2013
These novels by Barbara Cleverly are always a good read, with a some twists and turns, usually reasonably gentle and not the gore-fests so common these days. I am amazed they have never been adapted for television.
on 19 July 2013
I'm becoming addicted to Barbara Cleverly and the splendid Joe, and I don't even like detective fiction. Normally if I read more than a couple of books by the same author I find too many similarities and get bored or irritated. But these novels are well researched in time and setting, and she has a great command of English. They are very easy to read and enjoy.