4.0 out of 5 stars Singing detective
This is a superior sound to the original cassette tape I had many moons ago, great stuff, my only disappointment was the track 'Paper Doll' [one of my favourites] is missing.I would appreciate Amazon listing all tracks on every CD!!
Published on 8 Feb 2011 by Anne Rendall

1.0 out of 5 stars Shameful
As others have pointed out, 2 years ago someone at BBC records apparently decided to alter the soundtrack:
leaving out 4 essential songs that were a part of the original soundtrack, including the theme tune (!!!!!!!!!),
adding 5 songs that have no link whatsoever with the series, and replacing a number of the authentic versions with more recent recordings...
Published on 16 Feb 2012 by Peter Frans

1.0 out of 5 stars Shameful, 16 Feb 2012
Peter Frans - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
So, avoid this one and try to find an older print.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 11 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
I have a vinyl copy of this album bought back in the day when it was first on the telly. I don't play many LP's these days and wanted to update the format for a trip down memory lane. I should have looked a little closer as the track listing on the CD is different from the LP and some of the versions have been changed. Bit disappointed but not massively. Such is life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing selection of songs, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
Although the item was in excellent condition and arrived soon after purchase, I was disappointed by the selection of songs as most were not from the television series of Potter's excellent play.

4.0 out of 5 stars Singing detective, 8 Feb 2011
Anne Rendall (Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Sep 2010
Jo S "Never grow up!" (Leeds, West Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
I loved the TV series so the music brings back lots of memories of that great story, but these are equally wonderful songs in their own right. They remind me of some of the tunes my grandparents used to hum. Although they mask some very deep emotions (especially the war times songs about being apart)the words are often very simple and endearing and my two small children (four and five) love to sing along with them and find the light-hearted ones and the orchestral pieces really funny.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE ORIGINAL!, 11 July 2014
Bigfootmurf (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
The song I really wanted from the cassette wasn't on it, about your ankle bone being connected to your foot bone by the Inkspots. Another reviewer says they changed four tracks! They should call this something else and stop misleading people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection of familiar sinaglong tunes, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
Would have rated higher if it included "Dem Dry Bones" (Fred Waring and his Pennsylvnians) - the only significant omission I can think of...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous 1930's/40's popular music, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
Loved watching the TV show at the time and recently again on DVD, and really enjoyed the songs. I managed to get this CD and the soundtracks from The Singing Detective (40's/50's songs) and Lipstick On Your Collar (50's/60's) from Zaverstocks for under £10.00 via Amazon (including P&P). For over 60 great tunes, this was the best value for £9.98 I've ever spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memory!, 18 April 2013
Mrs. E. Horwell "lizbeth" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
I bought this after hearing at baby group that it had the original recording of 'Teddy Bears Picnic' on it - it does, which is fabulous, but also has lots of other good tracks on it. I haven't ever seen the series or read the book (sorry, I know it's a classic) but my baby and I are enjoying the soundtrack!

2.0 out of 5 stars Altered and spoilt, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Singing Detective (Audio CD)
Bought this CD to replace the one I had back in the 80's. Thought it odd when some tracks were missing, Lili Marlene sung in English, other tracks messed up. A waste of money. Now have to try again and buy the proper unadulterated original CD.

The Singing Detective
The Singing Detective by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2010)