5.0 out of 5 stars Avent vs Tommee Tippee
Published on 14 Nov 2011 by ellie

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but...
These bottles are good if your child doesn't suffer with colic or feeding problems. Although this claims to have an anti-colic ring, I found that it didn't make a difference. It wasn't until I brought Dr Brown's bottles that my son's colic improved. However, I would still recommend these bottles if your child doesn't suffer with any feeding issues.
Published 12 months ago by Yummy Mummy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Avent vs Tommee Tippee, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Philips AVENT SCD271/00 Newborn Bottle Starter Set (Classic) (Baby Product)
I have two children, one 6 year old and one 11 week old. With my first born i used Avent from the start, and was always happy with the brand, no problems whatsoever, such a good feeder and very content. With my new baby things were different, he seemed to not feed as well even though he was a bit greedy, and couldnt burp as well. When i was pregnant i had brought a load of Tommee Tippee stuff, i dont really know why -just because it was in EVERY single store everywhere i looked and i thought i'd try it, more out of convenience and curiosity- and hey it must be good if its in every shop, right? Anyway i ended up spending alot of money on all the tommee tippee bits and bobs as its nice to match, and wow did i regret that! When the baby was 2 weeks old we had a short hospital stay, (2 days), due to conjunctivitis. Whilst there we used the hospital bottles and teats to feed. The change in babys feeding and sleeping was immediate, fed better, burped better, slept better, brought up less milk after feeds. The only thing that i could think of that had changed was either the surroundings or his bottle (he wasnt in any discomfort elsewhere despite the eye, he couldnt feel that) ...so I had to put things down to Tommee Tippee as i couldnt say it was my house he didnt like lol. So when we got home the first thing we did was to go out and buy Avent, the brand we knew and trusted from our first born, tried that, job done perfect feeding perfect baby. So all the tommee tippee gear went in the bin and we've never looked back, the only regret is spending so much on tomme tippee in the first place. Avent is the complete opposite, very sturdy equipment, extremely strong bottles and teats, trustworthy, does prevent colic, baby obviously prefers it, even the bottles are a nicer shape to hold.... complete opposite to tommee tippee in my opinion in every way. I would definately tell any parent that Avent is the one, stick with the old famous brand, its old and famous for a reason. Even the Avent electric steriliser is better as it gets less limescale and is quicker!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, it is what it says, 14 April 2011
We have been using this with our newborn as breast feeding directly wasn't going to plan. It's a great set and just what we needed, baby uses the bottles and teats well and is still feeding off the breast occasionally so the teats have not caused 'nipple confusion' for our little one.

We've so far been using the smaller bottles & the 0 month teats for feeding and the larger bottles for storage. Haven't used the dummies yet but they look good quality so no doubt will be used at some point.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE bottle - a bit lower rated now, 28 Sep 2011
We have been using the 'old crystal clear' (Polycarbonate) Avent starter set and several other Avent bottles and accessoires for 2+ years now an still are very pleased with them. Only problem we encountered in the beginning is that with brand new bottles & teats the silicon sometimes would be too sticky which caused problem with the air-inlet (not opening the valve) and thus problems with drinking. But that could be helped by making the silicon 'flap' that functions as a valve (or the outside edge of the bottle neck where it fits to) a bit 'greasy' with milk before closing the bottle. The issue would disappear automatically after a few times of use.

Because there is a second baby on the way and we could use some extra bottles we didn't hesitate to buy an Avent starter set again.
The indication of "Classic" made me hope that it were the same 'old' kind of crystal clear bottles we already had, but no such luck ....

The BPA hype (I really don't believe in a really big health risk because of BPA in normal use) forced Avent to produce BPA-free bottles and that's what's in this 'new' 'classic' starter set.
The bottles are made of a bit 'milky' (but colorless) Polypropylene now, which looks a bit cheap compared to the old perfectly clear Polycarbonate bottles in my opinion. But i've seen other BPA-free bottle materials that look far more unattractive (a bit orange or yellow), so that's not my biggest 'complain'.

No, that's the 'classic' (how classic can it be, it didn't exist 2,5 years ago when I bought the other ones) '2 piece anti-colic system' which compared to the old system consists of an extra ring between the (now shorter) neck of the bottle and the top (which haven't changed). I really don't think this ring does anything extra compared to the old system and suspect they just had problems to let the anti-colic system work properly with the les rigid and less 'measure-accurate' new polypropylene bottle and as a quick fix decided to put a rigid ring between the old top and the not-so-compatible new bottle to solve the problem without have to redesign the complete system.

I have no doubt that it will function as good or even maybe a bit better than the old system, but it's just plain awkward to have this extra ring to clean and mount every time.

So, that's why I would reward the old system 5 stars and this new 'classic 2-piece anti-colic system' only 4.

That's a bit of a shame.
And all of this because some mad scientist researched that when you drink 10 years and 10.000 times out of one and the same worn-out bottle with BPA, you might have a health risk. What will they think of next?

There is also a more expensive 'Advanced' Avent starter set with bottles made of PES (a relatively new and more expensive material that can easily match the mechanical properties of polycarbonate but needs no BPA) instead of the PP used for the 'Classic' bottles. The Advanced bottles, like the old polycarbonate bottles, don't need the separate ring. But according to Amazon the 'Classic' set is a newer replacement for that 'Advanced' set, so it's not clear what the future of 'Advanced' is. Besides that, the price difference between Advanced and Classic (both as a set or seperate bottles) makes me willing 'to live with' the annoying seperate ring.

It is completely unclear to me which way Avent wants to go with these two different types, just wait which one consumers buy most and then drop the other one? Or maybe both are just a inbetween solution before launching a completely new system or material with the advantage of PES but the price of PP? Or maybe PES prices will drop when it becomes more common. Only time wil tell.

Anyhow, the 'Classic' starter set is still a good buy for a very nice price, so still recommended!

And if money is no issue, go for the Avent "Advanced" starter set, if available, to save yourself the fumbling with the extra ring. Philips AVENT SCD270/00 Newborn Bottle Starter Set (Advanced)

P.S.
I've seen remarks of people saying that the Classic bottle leaks when not using the ring ....
Yes, you always have to use the ring when using these Polypropylene Classic bottles, as clearly mentioned in the instructions.

(Don't mind my English, I'm just a simple Dutchman)

5.0 out of 5 stars great product and a fantastic deal, 28 Feb 2011
Mrs. Marta Dagher (UK) - See all my reviews
bought this starter pack for our fist baby, light and easy to assemble, easy to clean, brush comes in handy, different sized bottles and teats with different flows included, works well for us

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Avent Bottle Set, 17 Mar 2011
P. A. Smith (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips AVENT Classic Newborn Starter Set includes 2 x 125-ml bottles with newborn-flow teats, 2 x 260ml bottles with slow-flow teats, 2 extra newborn-flow teats, plus a bottle & teat brush and a newborn soother. Apparently they are designed to work with your baby's natural feeding rhythm and tests say that they significantly reduce colic and fussing. Other than that they are well made, easy to clean and are made to be used in conjunction with the Philips Avent microwave steriliser, which is something else I would recommend you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 7 Oct 2013
I use these with the Avent Manual Breast Pump as well as for feeding my little one the expressed milk. No complaints at all really - he seems to feed fine with them (he's 3 months) and isn't anymore gassy than when I breastfeed him so they must be doing a good job!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but..., 3 April 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Fair, 18 Mar 2013
Appears to be good value for money but on arrival the plastic bottles look cloudy and not very clear almost like its a recycled plastic or something?? Everything else in the set, teats etc were fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best you can get!, 12 Sep 2012
I wouldn't use any other bottle, the teet is a nice shape. Not to big for my daughter. Now that she can hold the bottle herself the bottle is the perfect size for her small hands. Will use these bottles again for any other children I have in the future. Have been using the bottles for almost a year now and when washed still come up brand new looking every time. Love them, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 20 Sep 2011
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great starter set for any new parents. The bottles are sturdy, well designed and do a great job of keeping milk warm!! Would highly recommend this for anyone who is moving to formula milk.

ARRAY(0xa2b71c30)