5.0 out of 5 stars Avent vs Tommee Tippee
Published on 14 Nov. 2011 by RedBelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a 5 star
We bought this set because, here in Portugal, Avent is very reputable (and expensive). The price difference is truly ridiculously as here we would pay about 45 euros :S ... Overall, this set is all we need to have at home, just in case (we ended up using them sooner than expected as my wife had an infection and we had to bottlefed our baby). My wife has always been very...
Published on 26 Oct. 2012 by Rui

5.0 out of 5 stars Avent vs Tommee Tippee, 14 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Philips AVENT SCD271/00 Newborn Bottle Starter Set (Classic) (Baby Product)
I have two children, one 6 year old and one 11 week old. With my first born i used Avent from the start, and was always happy with the brand, no problems whatsoever, such a good feeder and very content. With my new baby things were different, he seemed to not feed as well even though he was a bit greedy, and couldnt burp as well. When i was pregnant i had brought a load of Tommee Tippee stuff, i dont really know why -just because it was in EVERY single store everywhere i looked and i thought i'd try it, more out of convenience and curiosity- and hey it must be good if its in every shop, right? Anyway i ended up spending alot of money on all the tommee tippee bits and bobs as its nice to match, and wow did i regret that! When the baby was 2 weeks old we had a short hospital stay, (2 days), due to conjunctivitis. Whilst there we used the hospital bottles and teats to feed. The change in babys feeding and sleeping was immediate, fed better, burped better, slept better, brought up less milk after feeds. The only thing that i could think of that had changed was either the surroundings or his bottle (he wasnt in any discomfort elsewhere despite the eye, he couldnt feel that) ...so I had to put things down to Tommee Tippee as i couldnt say it was my house he didnt like lol. So when we got home the first thing we did was to go out and buy Avent, the brand we knew and trusted from our first born, tried that, job done perfect feeding perfect baby. So all the tommee tippee gear went in the bin and we've never looked back, the only regret is spending so much on tomme tippee in the first place. Avent is the complete opposite, very sturdy equipment, extremely strong bottles and teats, trustworthy, does prevent colic, baby obviously prefers it, even the bottles are a nicer shape to hold.... complete opposite to tommee tippee in my opinion in every way. I would definately tell any parent that Avent is the one, stick with the old famous brand, its old and famous for a reason. Even the Avent electric steriliser is better as it gets less limescale and is quicker!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Avent classic feeding bottles starter kit - Excellent, 26 Nov. 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
We have tried a few bottles in the last few weeks, but the Philips Avent Classic have become our favourites. The Medela, Tommee Tippee and MAM bottles that we tried have leak issues and have complicated constructions. These bottles are easy to put together, easy to disassemble for sterilisation and easy to use. The fact that teats for older babies are readily available is another plus, so these bottles should last the baby right through their bottle feeding lifetime.

This starter kit includes 2 small bottles, 2 large bottles, slow and medium flow teats, a bottle brush and a soother. Excellent value for money, and really got us going.

As I said, easy to clean, easy to use, no leaks, adaptable and baby seems to like them. Nothing bad to say about these, 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, it is what it says, 14 April 2011
We have been using this with our newborn as breast feeding directly wasn't going to plan. It's a great set and just what we needed, baby uses the bottles and teats well and is still feeding off the breast occasionally so the teats have not caused 'nipple confusion' for our little one.

We've so far been using the smaller bottles & the 0 month teats for feeding and the larger bottles for storage. Haven't used the dummies yet but they look good quality so no doubt will be used at some point.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE bottle - a bit lower rated now, 28 Sept. 2011
We have been using the 'old crystal clear' (Polycarbonate) Avent starter set and several other Avent bottles and accessoires for 2+ years now an still are very pleased with them. Only problem we encountered in the beginning is that with brand new bottles & teats the silicon sometimes would be too sticky which caused problem with the air-inlet (not opening the valve) and thus problems with drinking. But that could be helped by making the silicon 'flap' that functions as a valve (or the outside edge of the bottle neck where it fits to) a bit 'greasy' with milk before closing the bottle. The issue would disappear automatically after a few times of use.

Because there is a second baby on the way and we could use some extra bottles we didn't hesitate to buy an Avent starter set again.
The indication of "Classic" made me hope that it were the same 'old' kind of crystal clear bottles we already had, but no such luck ....

The BPA hype (I really don't believe in a really big health risk because of BPA in normal use) forced Avent to produce BPA-free bottles and that's what's in this 'new' 'classic' starter set.
The bottles are made of a bit 'milky' (but colorless) Polypropylene now, which looks a bit cheap compared to the old perfectly clear Polycarbonate bottles in my opinion. But i've seen other BPA-free bottle materials that look far more unattractive (a bit orange or yellow), so that's not my biggest 'complain'.

No, that's the 'classic' (how classic can it be, it didn't exist 2,5 years ago when I bought the other ones) '2 piece anti-colic system' which compared to the old system consists of an extra ring between the (now shorter) neck of the bottle and the top (which haven't changed). I really don't think this ring does anything extra compared to the old system and suspect they just had problems to let the anti-colic system work properly with the les rigid and less 'measure-accurate' new polypropylene bottle and as a quick fix decided to put a rigid ring between the old top and the not-so-compatible new bottle to solve the problem without have to redesign the complete system.

I have no doubt that it will function as good or even maybe a bit better than the old system, but it's just plain awkward to have this extra ring to clean and mount every time.

So, that's why I would reward the old system 5 stars and this new 'classic 2-piece anti-colic system' only 4.

That's a bit of a shame.
And all of this because some mad scientist researched that when you drink 10 years and 10.000 times out of one and the same worn-out bottle with BPA, you might have a health risk. What will they think of next?

There is also a more expensive 'Advanced' Avent starter set with bottles made of PES (a relatively new and more expensive material that can easily match the mechanical properties of polycarbonate but needs no BPA) instead of the PP used for the 'Classic' bottles. The Advanced bottles, like the old polycarbonate bottles, don't need the separate ring. But according to Amazon the 'Classic' set is a newer replacement for that 'Advanced' set, so it's not clear what the future of 'Advanced' is. Besides that, the price difference between Advanced and Classic (both as a set or seperate bottles) makes me willing 'to live with' the annoying seperate ring.

It is completely unclear to me which way Avent wants to go with these two different types, just wait which one consumers buy most and then drop the other one? Or maybe both are just a inbetween solution before launching a completely new system or material with the advantage of PES but the price of PP? Or maybe PES prices will drop when it becomes more common. Only time wil tell.

Anyhow, the 'Classic' starter set is still a good buy for a very nice price, so still recommended!

And if money is no issue, go for the Avent "Advanced" starter set, if available, to save yourself the fumbling with the extra ring. Philips AVENT SCD270/00 Newborn Bottle Starter Set (Advanced)

P.S.
I've seen remarks of people saying that the Classic bottle leaks when not using the ring ....
Yes, you always have to use the ring when using these Polypropylene Classic bottles, as clearly mentioned in the instructions.

(Don't mind my English, I'm just a simple Dutchman)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 7 Oct. 2013
I use these with the Avent Manual Breast Pump as well as for feeding my little one the expressed milk. No complaints at all really - he seems to feed fine with them (he's 3 months) and isn't anymore gassy than when I breastfeed him so they must be doing a good job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best you can get!, 12 Sept. 2012
I wouldn't use any other bottle, the teet is a nice shape. Not to big for my daughter. Now that she can hold the bottle herself the bottle is the perfect size for her small hands. Will use these bottles again for any other children I have in the future. Have been using the bottles for almost a year now and when washed still come up brand new looking every time. Love them, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful set, 7 Feb. 2011
M. Mohamed (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third time I have had this set, for the third child we are expecting. I would always just buy this rather than looking around for different ones as I have always found the avent set to be good. It is a handy starter set with 2 bottles of each size, and a spare dummy and new bottle brush are always useful to have. Its nice to have some of the smaller size in this set as the big ones are so huge for small babies. I find the avent bottles reliable, good quality and don't leak, and my babies have been happy with them. I found this an essential item for my children, even if you are breastfeeding its useful to have a couple of bottles around in case you need them, so would recommend it for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommending this product, 6 Jan. 2013
Product arrived safely and quickly as expected from Amazon.

Product itself is good and I would recommend it.

I used Avent bottles for my first child two years ago. I purchased Avent bottles gold edition (colour of bottles was brownish-not sure why they did this as every mum surely would want to see the milk being its natural colour). Those bottles leaked and you had to keep fiddling with the tops to prevent this. Annoying but still doable once you got the hang of it. Also these bottles were made of harder plastic that broke when dropped. That's why I purchased this newborn starter set as I was short of bottles for my second child.

These new bottles are clear and softer plastic. Also they don't leak anymore as they have an additional ring inside which is great but it is another piece that needs to be attached to a bottle. They say it is anticolic but if you ask me it is just to prevent bottles to leak.
When washing the bottles some of the numbers on the bottle started coming off. I have been using them for a week now and am hoping they won't come off completely.

The reason why I stick to Avent bottles is the teats-both my children had no problem using them. Also my older one (a toddler now) keeps using the bottles with soft spouts (like a sippy cup). I purchased the handles too but he doesn't like them. It's great that you can mix and match the pieces.

The starter pack contains four bottles including teats, brush and a dummy. Fantastic for a tenner!
Both of my children used only Avent dummies as all other brands are bigger in size and they were choking on them.

I tried other brands of bottles and dummies with my first one and Avent always came out to be the best and made my first baby happy. That's why I am sticking to it and it seems to be doing great job with my second one too.

I would happily recommend these bottles to anybody. Preferably on sale ;-)

PS Four stars for the numbers coming off and an additional ring I'm afraid. I know the previous bottles leaked but I'm sure they could've done a better job than just sticking another piece in the bottle.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY!!!, 29 Dec. 2012
MAJM (Granada, Spain) - See all my reviews
I'm a great fan of all Avent bottles and bottle accessories for they versatility and multifunctionality. The wide variety of Avent bottles allows you to choose the bottle you need for your baby and later on, to modify it and adapt it to your baby needs as your baby grows.
You can change the teats, add spouts and add trainer handles, so the bottle you once bought converts into a trainer cup. You won't spend more money in aditional cups and lose space with bottles you don't need anymore and don't know what to do with them. You'll always find a way of reusing it.
Smaller bottles are great for smaller babies, as they fit perfectly in their hands (and are not so heavy when filled up with milk).
Bigger bottles are perfect for bigger babies which eat more and can hold bigger and heavier things.
Perfect for use with other Avent products, as bottle warmers, sterilisers or thermic bags.

BIG PLUS: By placing the cap you seal the teat, so you can move the bottle, shake it or tumble and the liquid doesn't come out. There is NO SEALING DISC!!! Other bottles tend to use sealing discs which are placed between the bottle and the teat. This is really annoying, as when you want to feed your baby you have to open the bottle, remove the disc and close the bottle, which is not so easy when you're in a hurry because your baby is hungry or when you're out and don't have very clean hands (or not clean enough to enter in a direct contact with your baby food).

These are the best bottles I had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great choice, 23 Feb. 2011
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The introductory set contains a variety of bottles sizes and teat flow rates as well as a bottle washer brush and a dummy/soother. While there are a number of starter kits on the market, we found that the shape of these bottles was the most ergonomic (for both parent and child) and we were particularly impressed by the two piece anti-colic teats. The two piece system means that different teats can be used in conjunction with the anti-colic ring as the baby grows and you need different teats. Also, the bottles have wide openings to allow easy pouring for those who use formula.

One specific point in relation to the plastics is that they didn't have a "plasticky" smell, which was something that we were worried about.

As with most bottle brands on the market, you can add handles and different spouts to enable you to make use of the bottles beyond only baby bottle feeding, so you may want to consider which brand you prefer if you want to get long term use from your bottle set. Also, if you are considering sterilisers and expressing machines, you may want to stick with one brand to ensure that all of the bottles/caps/rings work together and are a good fit.