5.0 out of 5 stars Jesuit secrets spawn a terrible evil
Published on 9 Dec 2010 by Sephy

3.0 out of 5 stars for your eyes only
a film that is in SPANISH with English subtitles,nothing starts happening till half way through with black and white flashbacks of Nazi Germany, a poor attempt at poltergergeist ,I DONT RECOMMEND THIS FILM
Published 4 months ago by davidhattermann

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesuit secrets spawn a terrible evil, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
The Haunting, set in an excellent creepy house formerly used as a school by Jesuit priests is rented to a doctor and her husband and 4 month old baby. The doc is under psychiatric care and to begin with it seems obvious that this new home , very cut off from everyone else, is the perfect retreat to recover, from what? you learn about this as the film progresses. As you would expect, creepy things begin to happen as this is a supernatural movie, the build up is very well paced and the clues are really very interesting. One thing I most enjoyed about it though was the cinematography and very interesting uses of projector film effects. Strong acting throughout, interesting characters and storyline and excellent ghostly moments. (One particular scene made me think about The Dark Hour, another excellent Spanish horror movie.)

I just rented this on the plot synopsis and was already biased towards foreign horror movies as (as everyone knows already) America is only capable of remakes and very predictable format storylines.
This film is a solid supernatural thriller, not a gore fest but a thinking persons mystery with an excellent atmosphere that stayed with me afterwards. Also contains hints of what I most liked about the game Project Zero (Fatal Frame). I am always looking for movies like that. Thank you Spain for being original film-makers again. 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy..!, 6 April 2012
SeaWasp (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
One of the better ghost stories around... but be warned, if you have an aversion to catholic priests right now, then you'll REALLY hate them by the time you finish this movie.

This dvd (at the time of writing) has a low star rating but that is mainly due to the fact that people were expecting an English language film. This movie is in Spanish and it has English sub-titles. If you can appreciate "Pan's Labyrinth" and "The Orphanage" then you will have a good time with this movie.

Basically, the plot centres around a young family who move into a spooky mansion that was once a school run by priests. The holy fathers did some despicable things to a handful of children and now their very disgruntled spirits haunt the mansion along with something even more hideous. I wont give away what it is or why it's there... but it's a darn good film in the vein of "The Exorcist". It doesn't suffer from CGI overload and there are no nauseating "pretty people" or smart-mouth teenagers with attitude that are so prevalent in Hollywood product these days. This is a good, well-acted, atmospheric movie that may have you looking over your shoulder if you watch it alone.

A nice, sharp, anamorphic, wide screen picture. A "making of" featurette and a trailer is what you get on this dvd. I'm glad I bought it. I watched it yesterday and I could watch it again right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars QUALITY HORROR, 13 Sep 2011
A PLACE BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL..Francesca is a young pediatrician traumatized by the loss of a child through crib death. When the family moves to a new home in the country supposedly to help recover from the experience she begins seeing inexplicable things.The house in which they now live seems to hide terrible secrets. Both the cellar and the attic are locked and barred to the family - and it is from both of these places that Francesca receives nocturnal visits that are slowly driving her mad.

3.0 out of 5 stars for your eyes only, 29 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great horror, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
I love anything to do with the paranormal and I loved watching this movie and I certainly wasn't disappointed by it!

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD HORROR MOVIE TO WATCH AT THE WEEK END, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
I HAD SEEN THIS MOVIE ALONE LAST SATURDAY NIGHT BETWEEN 11.30 P.M. ONWARDS.IT IS MY HABBIT TO SEE A HORROR MOVIE ALONE AT MIDNIGHT HOURS TO FULLY ENJOY THE TENSE HORROR SCENES.I THORUGHLY ENJOYED/ FRIGHTENED.EVEN THOUGH I DONOT KNOW ABC OF SPANISH STILL I WAS SEEING SUB-TITLES AND MOVIE.
I WILL RATE AS A GOOD HORROR MOVIE WHICH I CAN SEE AFTER SIX MONTHS ONCE AGAIN.

IAM ESPECIALLY GRATEFUL TO ZOVERSTOCKS FOR DELIVERING THE SAME BEFORE TIME.ONE VERY APPRECIABLE THING ABOUT ZOVERSTOCKS IS THAT --THEIR--USED MOVIE DVDS ARE AS GOOD AS NEW.I HAD ORDERED AROUND 15 USED DVDS FROM THEM AND NOT A SINGLE ONE WAS TROUBLESOME--TOUCH WOOD.

RAVI CHATURVEDI FROM NEW DELHI--INDIA

2.0 out of 5 stars The Haunting., 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
was know good as in foreign language not very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 2 Aug 2011
Mrs. A. Rhodes "angie" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
This was a really tense film, kept you watching, I ;loved it, makes you jump, in all the right places,,

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
I have no objection to foreign language films, and occassionally go out of my way to find one, but it bugs the hell out of me when I have to hunt high and low to find out what language a film is in. That's the case with this film. Of all things, one would expect to be informed of the language. The avoidance of this is unacceptable. When I could find no information on the matter, I went by the fact that everything appeared to be English...the blurb..the dvd cover...this is deceptive. Tell people up front that the film is not in English,but has subtitles. Like myself, many people do not mind, but would like to be informed honestly beforehand. To have to hunt for the info and not find it until the dvd turns up in person is not good enough. If you feel you have to hide info to get a sale..then you are not doing it right.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Haunting, 3 Feb 2014
Miss K. Penfold "catcrazy" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
when I read about this film I didn't see that it was in Spanish which put me off the film straight away so I didn't watch the whole film

The Haunting [DVD]
The Haunting [DVD] by Elio Quiroga (DVD - 2010)