5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant
comedy is all pervasive - even when it comes to the hot topic of religeous extremism and terrorism. the film isn't without its faults but its 5* simply based on its brave approach to the topic. nigel lindsay for me is especially brilliant in this. a must buy
Published on 15 Sept. 2011 by Donald Donaldson

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
I have been told to see this film by lots of friends as they found so funny, it was ok
Published 11 months ago by mr john kirby

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Brilliant Film!, 2 Feb. 2013
ZKC (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Great film. So funny! If you're sensitive to certain topics such as racism, terrorism etc then it may not be for you...but for everyone else, WATCH IT!! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry brother crow..., 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
First of all this film is a send up of terrorists themselves it's not aimed to glorify them it mocks them.
There are some belting one liners in this film (rubber dingy rapids!!!)
The ending of the film is quite suprising
Buy this film if you like a laugh!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 12 Oct. 2012
Tishymonster (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
OK, so film/picture quality aside, the content is pure genius!

A colleague recommended the film to me on the basis of the type of films I would find funny and I have to say this was spot on. It was dry and surprising and at one point I laughed so much I had to pause it to get my breath back.

Dont take it too seriously- its a £3 DVD, enjoy it for the comedy and the ending!

Deleted scenes are brilliant- they shouldnt have been deleted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud film, 5 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Laugh out loud film. Great characters.
There will never be a sequel (because of the ending - not to give too much away) so a prequel then ?
Just a very funny film that seems to have gone under the radar.

Rubber dinghy rapids bro !

4.0 out of 5 stars "I can't even get them to stir their tea without smashing a window.", 11 April 2012
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Four Lions [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't have the highest of hopes for this, having had in the past mixed reactions to Chris Morris' work (depends on who he collaborates with). After a bit of a slow start I found myself laughing more and more as the bickering and pratfalls started to pile up. One thing I would have liked would have been more for Omar's wife, who appears only briefly (ironically, teasing Omar's beardy brother for taking things too literally); she doesn't express any real feelings about the martyrdom project, neither zealously in favour nor sorrow for the impending loss of her husband. Underwritten.

Maybe a tad long, but great performances and very funny on several occasions. The person/s who gave this one star are way off the mark. GB has always loved a loser, even if these confused young men are not gallant losers, their culture is as British as beans on toast and that's the film's saddest irony.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finely balanced film by Morris, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film at the cinema with two of my mates and I have to say we were in stitches throughout.

It's mostly farcical at times poignant (the bit with Waj at the end where he says to the police SWAT team `I don't really know what I'm doing' really tugged at me) and overall gets its message across well, which is a testament to the balance Morris has deployed as a director. I've always found Chris Morris's work funny, but I think he's stepped up his game here and produced a film that is more rounded and thus correspondingly interesting.

Overall well worth investing a few quid in.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOUR LIONS, 28 Jan. 2012
Friends fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
We first saw a bit of the back-end of this film when we turned over, waiting for our programme to start and thought it really funny - so made a mental note to look out for full film. Whilst I was purchasing something else on Amazon, it came up with this, amongst others, that I might like - how did it know I was looking for it - I never said? Anyway, it's absolutely fab. it starts off as any serious film would, but you soon realise that it is discreet comedy, taking a look at the lighter, definitely simpler side of some religious group's lives. It really is laugh after laugh with a serious bit of story going on. I cannot say what the story is or it would spoil it. All I can say is that it's not a Christian culture here, but it is very well portrayed and the writer is brilliant as are the actors in this. The only down side that in the making they did kill a sheep BY ACCIDENT. Go on, give it a whirl. If you have seen "In Bruge" and thought that was funny and very well written and acted, particularly Colin Farrel: then you'll really like this. On a similar par but where In Bruge was Irish, this is another culture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrorfyingly funny, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Four Lions [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is my third viewing of Four Lions, my second this year, and it just shows that once again, Chris Morris is at the forefront of British comedy, pushing the boundaries of taboo to great success. This was always going to be a difficult movie to make a success considering the subject matter but the fine balance between offensiveness and comedy is found and the casting spot on, particularly Waj (Kayvan Novak - Phonejacker). The dialogue is witty and although I would've liked to have seen a little more character development to see why they want to become martyrs, the story is tight enough to forego any possible pacing and plot hole issues. Recommended. 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an unrealistic assessment of jihadists....., 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Four Lions [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's a Chris Morris movie - what do you expect? Absolutely hilarious and extremely brave at the same time. An absolute classic piece of satire to rank with Brass Eye and The day Today.
The film isn't really about Islam, Jihad, Balti Britain, isolation of minorities, or anything like that - it's simply a story about a bunch of mates who have an idea but are a bit cr*p when it comes to the practicalities. "Last of the Summer Wine" was filmed just up the road....
Excellent characterisation where, as previously noted, one feels sympathy for these young men in their lack of reasoning ability to work out that what they are doing is not the only option. It is a rare film that has you thinking in this way while wiping tears of laughter from your eyes.
I can state from personal experience of looking after some prisoners with extremist views that the characters here are not exaggerated at all, especially Barry - the old saying from my Catholic childhood comes to mind - "watch the converts, they're a bit keen."
Oh, yes, laughter. For those who cannot see the humour:
"She's got a beard"
"Is a wookie a bear?"
"Can I have a blue puffin?"
"chicken drummer"
"Twelve bottles of bleach, please"
"Eh up, you unbelieving Kuffar b*stards, I'm gonna stir your baked beans"
"Shoulda gone Chicken Cottage", and of course...

"RUBBER DINGHY RAPIDS, BRO!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to say about this..., 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
There are many, many funny moments in Four Lions, but I kept having to ask myself, should I be laughing at this? As the story unfolds it pokes mercilessly at Muslims, dozy Brits, and the police with their "Shoot first, ask questions later" policy shown toward the latter stages of the film. In this it is somewhat disturbing but at the same time somehow manages to be side splittingly funny. The sheep martyr, exploding crow and heimlich maneuver scenes are just some of the many highlights for me.

I'd recommend it, just don't show it to people you know who insist on political correctness.

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›

Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD]
Four Lions - Special Edition [DVD] by Chris Morris (DVD - 2010)