on 23 June 2010
Peter James's sci-fi/supernatural books are simply superb and the early Roy Grace books were great reads, but he has jumped the shark with this latest instalment. He is clearly writing on autopilot and is now too lazy to try to present information in an entertaining way. (For example, check out the paragraph about the categorisation of types of rape - was it lifted directly from a police manual?) I was also left wondering why on earth Grace missed "Sandy" so much after she vanished. She is as much a cipher as Cleo, but also a neurotic, nagging fishwife into the bargain. (She gives him the silent treatment for days because he is at a crucial point in a murder investigation and can't drink alcohol??? I'm beginning to wonder if the solution to her disappearance is that Grace offed her himself?) The book has a colour-by-numbers climax which I've read hundreds of times before. It is also far too long with simply too many rapes and murders (both actual and attempted). Time to get a new editor PJ, maybe time to take a break to get some fresh ideas, and hopefully we'll see a return to form next time out. Still a huge fan.
on 25 July 2010
Having read all of the previous Roy Grace series of books and always enjoyed them I bought this with the usual excitement of expecting a good read.Unfortunately,about half way through I found myself wanting it to end.I found the whole idea of at least 3 people (4 really) in Brighton all with shoe fetishes a little unbelievable and it was obvious from the outset that the 3 main suspects were not the real villain.as usual James' writing is very good but maybe its time to bring in a few new characters and dump the malteser eating bella( who never actually seems to do anything other than eat maltesers and chastise Norman potting..who's another one who could go).Even Graces new boss was given very little page time.
I hate to criticise writers who I so enjoy and I am sure I will buy the next book in the series but this is definately,for me,the weakest he has written.
on 30 June 2010
I anxiously awaited this "next in the series" of Roy Grace books by Peter James and once again not disappointed. Peter James has fast become the best thriller writer in recent times - and he does have fierce competition. However, his books are so readable and what a delight to read an English novel, by an English writer, set in Brighton town! Not that international writers are not equally superb - it just makes reading these novels believable when you can picture the setting.

I hope those film makers out there are reading Mr James' books, as these need to be put on film as a matter of extreme urgency.

I highly recommend these books (but suggest any reader read them in order, commencing with the superb Dead Simple) and hope Mr James continues to write many more. Roll on the next publication.
on 15 October 2011
On reading this book, my wife read it straight after me, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't read any of his previous Roy Grace stories but my wife has read them all. I was able to follow the story without needing to have read any of the others however my wife was more familiar with the other characters such as Sandy, Glenn & Cassian Pewe. Despite my lack of back-story on these previous characters, I was able to follow the story without my lack of knowledge having any impact on the storyline. Therefore this book will appeal to those new to Peter James and those who have read his other novels.

The only thing I found strange is the amount of people in the Brighton & Hove area who must have a shoe fetish lol!!!

Overall this was a cracking read that all crime readers should enjoy.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 2 June 2015
I am steadily working my way through the Roy Grace series, and I love it. This book is quite long, and it flits back and forth between two timelines. Once or twice I did find myself flicking back a few pages (on the kindle) to double check which time-space continuum I was in at that moment, but on the whole it works really well and

SPOILER ALERT

weaves the two storylines of an unsolved series of attacks from Roy's past and the current suspected reappearance of the offender together very well. Gripping, believable plotlines and well defined, memorable and likable characters - a superb world to keep visiting. I'm just starting to feel rather sad that I don't have many more in the series left to go now.
on 12 March 2013
This was my first of Peter's James' novels I downloaded and have to say that if any of his other books are nearly as gripping I will be a fan for life.
It shows how the digital age has changed people in the way they feel the need to "post" their whereabouts at each step of their day. Handy for the person stalking them awaiting their chance to grab them.
I found that the insight into the "killer's" past insiteful and intriguing. It shows how they came to be who they are and how they became such a danger to women. I found myself activley hating his mother, always a powerful emotion to feel when you're so involved in the plot!
Put me off buying designer shoes for life!!! Well done Peter, you have a convert!!
on 19 January 2011
I have been fortunate enough to read Peter James' Roy Grace thrillers in the correct order. I loved "Dead Like You" and now can't wait for the next Roy Grace book. All the Roy Grace stories are complete in themselves but there are enough threads, particularly regarding the characters, to forward on to the next story. Will Roy and Cleo and baby lives happy ever after or will the spectre of Sandy rear its head? Will Glenn's marriage survive and even revive? Will Norman Potting finally go that step too far?

"Dead Like You", like the others, had you guessing - I thought I'd worked out much of it but there were still surprises and a gripping plot to the end.
on 16 April 2011
Over the years I have read all of Peter James' books more or less as each was published, so I've followed him from the darker offerings of, for instance Alchemist or Possession, through Peter's development as a crime writer with his best selling Roy Grace series.

This is the 6th novel in the series and as usual is set in Brighton. The investigation is into brutal rapes which have similarities to those committed years before and DS Grace is increasingly convinced he is dealing with the same perpetrator.

Although not essential, I would advise starting with the first book in the series as it gives a fuller opportunity to follow Roy Grace's journey.
The order is:
Dead Simple (2005)
Looking Good Dead (2006)
Not Dead Enough (2007)
Dead Man's Footsteps (2008)
Dead Tomorrow (2009)
Dead Like You (2010).

The books are always very well researched and this is reflected in the stories. Peter James manages to blend clever plotting with an enthralling story and Dead Like You provided an excellent read. He has a gentle descriptive style of writing coupled with excellent character development.

I emphatically recommend Dead Like You - it is crime writing at the highest level.

I look forward to reading the next in the series Dead Man's Grip which is due to be published soon (May 2011) - I'll certainly be pre ordering it!
on 16 January 2012
This is the first Peter James book I've ever read and it will probably be the last. The plot was interesting but it was a battle to get to the end because of the extremely dull and repetitive writing style and the simplistic and unimaginative characterization. The dialogue is wooden, unconvincing and full of clichés and most of the characters are pretty one dimensional. Roy Grace is probably the most boring fictional detective I've encountered and maybe this is just me, but I found myself disconcerted by his surname being a female first name (Grace who?)! His relationship with Cleo is laughable - we are told by a third party that Cleo is 'a classy lady' - but there is little evidence of her being anything other than a 'perfect woman' foil for Sandy, the dissatisfied wife who disappeared years ago (not sure what this unresolved plot line is there for?). There are too many repeated facts and lots of details about police procedures, police buildings, committees, acronyms etc. as though the author had found out all of this stuff and by God he was going to use it, whether it was interesting or not. There is also an element of a male author bending over backwards to show he's done his research on the effects of rape on women and several times we are told very authoritatively that a woman who has been raped is traumatized for life. Well, maybe, maybe not. Surely it depends on the woman and the circumstances. Other often repeated generalizations such as 90% of women are obsessed with shoes, are just irritating. In the first part of the book the emphasis on the long drawn out ordeal of the first victim is slightly creepy. So, in summary rather disappointing. If I could have believed in the characters I might have been able to overlook the lazy writing-by-numbers style, but unfortunately I found it hard to care about any of these cardboard cutouts.
on 28 February 2016
The good thing about getting into a series is you get to know and love the character on their journey and feel like you know them and you're a part of their life.The (slight) downside is no matter how good the author is or how well written the books are,sometimes they can start to feel a bit 'same old,same old' (in an enjoyable way!) as you progress through the series.The last couple of Roy Grace books felt a little like this to me (I'd still give them 5 stars!) but as I started book number 6 I wasn't expecting to be blown away. After finishing it I would gladly give it 6 stars (if I could) for several reasons.

1)The crimes being committed/investigated this time round (without spoiling anything,this book has the lowest murder/body count to date) gave the story a fresh feel to it without losing any of the intensity or 'race against the clock' urgency of the previous books.

2)The juggling between the past and present (which Peter James is a master of and uses quite a lot) is used to great effect here. Not only does it build the suspense/growing sense of doom ,it also keeps you second guessing yourself (come on,all us crime fans think we're pretty good at sussing out whodunnit) all the way to the end. Plus this time round we get a bigger glimpse into Roy's past (pre- Sandy's disappearance) which is interesting and adds gravitas to what had previously been more of a teasing footnote.

3)The 'villains' steal the show in this one. What has always set Peter Jame's writing apart is his ability to create realistic baddies and make them as much of the story as the people hunting them down. They're always normal (albeit evil/desperate) human beings, not moustache twirling caricatures or super villains like Hannibal Lector, which makes them unpredictable and is what gives this series it's gritty but down to earth edge.

4)It revitalised the series for me and has made me just as hungry for more than when I finished Dead Simple (one of the best debut of a series novels I've ever read). This is by no means a criticism of the last few books, what i'm saying is, in Dead Like You Peter James has written the perfect mid-series booster to keep his fans thrilled and hooked in equal measure.

To conclude, If you've just finished book 5 and are thinking of taking a break from Roy Grace (shame on you), DON'T! The best is yet to come from this series. Number 7 here I come!