5.0 out of 5 stars Great processor for cheap and powerful build
I bought this processor to build a cheap gaming and programming desktop, which turned out to get mostly 7.X in the Windows testing (apart from the hard drive), for just about 400.

I am very happy with it, it fits perfectly my needs of multi-tasking and games.

It comes with the heat sink and pre-applied paste.
Published on 14 July 2011 by Aza

3.0 out of 5 stars Compatible?
I have not bought this product yet but it is the processor I am most considering to boost gaming performance. Is this compatible with the Asus F1A55-M LE motherboard? Would be appreciated if my question could be answered. I am currently running a 2.1ghz processor so this upgrade would help tremendously.
Published 18 months ago by David_Liverpool

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great processor for cheap and powerful build, 14 July 2011
Aza (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AMD ADX640WFGMBOX Athlon II X4 640 - 3.0 Ghz AM3 CPU, Retail Packaged (Personal Computers)

I am very happy with it, it fits perfectly my needs of multi-tasking and games.

It comes with the heat sink and pre-applied paste.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BUY!, 19 Feb 2013
I would recommend this every day over an Intel CPU if all you are doing is office work, gaming and light editing (or anything that isn't completely high end) it simply isn't worth the extra money. I rate this 5-star just because of the amazing 52 price tag and the power it will deliver for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget quad core processor., 31 July 2012
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I've build a fair few PC's with this processor and also the Athlon II x2 as well.
This is ideal for those who want a bit more power to hit the metal when things get more heated! Ideal for a low cost system for photo and video work, the quad core is quite capable doing this kind of work and leaving you with enough processor power to multi task effectively.

I would suggest the x2 for office computers and less demanding work over the x4, but this ia good value processor that is well worth the extra cost over the dual/triple core Athlon II's if you are doing as above more intensive work. It is true that the lack of level 3 cache might hit it's performance a bit in some situations (more so games and compression software), on the other hand for video editing and conversions the lack of cache does not appear to bring any or much of a pentalty v the quad core Phenom II's. This is a 95w cpu which runs quite cool with the stock cooler and quite a bit less heat than the Phenom II x4 125W processors. The Phenom II's will appeal more to gamers with the additional cache.

Whlst it's true the Intel processors with a dual core and hyper threading do well at this level, they are still behind the quad core AMD for some video work which is their ideal scenario. The cost is quite reasonable too and everyone I've build a PC for using this processor has been extremely happy with the performance of their computer.

Well worth a look for bang per buck buyers.
For quiet pc enthusiasts they also undervolt fairly well, though you could also dig around and find a Phenom II 840 3.2GHz (which is basically a slightly higher clocked 95w Athlon II with again no level 3 cache) There isn't a lot of difference with the performance between the 2 being honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent processor and back-compatible with our elderly Asus M2N32N Sli motherboard, 16 July 2011
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This ADX640WFGMBOX is the retail boxed version of the AMD Athlon II Phenom 640 that comes with instructions and a decent enough stock Athlon II heatsink and fan [whereas ADX640WFK42GM is the OEM version of the Phenom 640 sold loose as the processor only]. For newer AMD motherboard builds I'd look towards AMD's Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz+ (Black Edition) that costs similar money and was the one on PC Pro's A List. However for those upgrading older AMD motherboards where other hardware limitations will apply, this Phenom 640 is an excellent slightly cheaper [and cooler] alternative. Although lacking any integrated graphics options, this Phenom processor is ideal for those wanting more graphics grunt from a separate mid-range PCIe graphics card.

This AMD Quad core 64-bit processor is the new Athlon II Phenom 640 processor with all four cores running at 3.0Ghz. My sons PC has an old Asus M2N32N Sli, popular in it's day [2007], fitted with an AM2+ socket [this processor is nominally for AM3 socksets]. However Asus verify that with the M2N32N Sli's beta-5002 BIOS upgrade this new Phenom 640 is compatible. So we ordered this processor and updated the motherboards BIOS. The processor came boxed, usefully with a stock fan, already smeared with thermal paste [don't touch it like I did or you'll need some more]. A quick release mechanism freed the old heatsink and after a slight twist the old heatsink/fan slipped off - a far easier procedure than with my four-point Intel Quad core heatsinks. I removed the old AMD X2 5000 2.6Ghz twin core processor and fitted this new 3Ghz quad core one.

The new heatsink supplied was smaller than my old StarTech one, but I stuck with the new one as it was made for the processor. I dropped the heatsink over the processor and clipped on the two retaining clips. Switched on the PC and the system booted up perfectly. Initially the ASUS PCProbe II utility showed the processor as running hot [58oC] under low load [a bit too hot as 68oC is the overheating limit], but it turned out the `Q-Fan' CPU fan controller was disabled in BIOS by default, so I switched it on and set Q-Fan to 'Performance' [i.e. the fan will increase in speed as the processor heats up]. Set to Q-fan Performance the processor now runs at a healthier 47oC albeit with a fair bit more fan noise when gaming. We didn't bother with AMD's cool'n'quiet as we prefer the CPU fast and noisy.

The PC is now far more responsive when running multiple apps, and the PCs 3DMark 2003 score has risen from 32,000 to 40,000 [with an ATI HD 4770 graphics card, 4Gb system RAM, and 32-bit XP Pro]. So a great upgrade at it's present low street price, giving a new lease of life to the 4 year old gaming PC, and hats off to AMD and ASUS for allowing a modern chip to be so backward compatible, hence 5*. Check if your motherboard can take it, as this Phenom 3Ghz quad core processor is a worthwhile upgrade for older X2 twin cores at the current price or possibly as the basis of a cheap self build PC.

Update 2013: A year or so later after upgrading the PC to Windows 7 64-bit, we decided to overclock this Phenom 10% to 3.3GHz. As the stock heatsink couldn't cope we chose the Zalman CNPS7X LED CPU Heatsink and Fan which works fine with the 10% overclock and drops processor core temperatures to nearer 30oC. We couldn't overclock higher as the PC became unstable, possibly due to the basic 8GB system memory RAM cards lacking cooling fins.

5.0 out of 5 stars May need BIOS update, 28 May 2014
I had to update my BIOS but after that the processor worked fine and gave my old 6 year-old PC a new lease of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars backwards compatible, 6 Jan 2013
I was glad that after a bit of research on my mothers motherboard, that it was able to support AM3 chips even though it is a AM2 socket, providing it did not go above 95 watts on the CPU power, quick and simple to swap CPU's chips, booted first time, all 4 cores were active and did not even have to flash the bios, definitely recommend this CPU as a upgrade from a dual core 2.7 GHz to friends and family and great Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amd Athlon X4 640, 4 Nov 2012
P. GILL (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
For the money this is a great processor. Easy to install and runs cool unlike the old Athlons. It comes with thermal paste on the heatsink for convenience. The heatsink fan is quiet and does not intrude. The quad core capability makes multi-tasking easy and programs like Norton Internet Security run faster than I've experienced before. Internet browsing is much improved too. Obviously, there are more expensive and powerful processors available but for the average computer user the Athlon II 640 has more than enough power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CPU for the price, 1 Nov 2012
This AMD640 CPU is a great quad core processor at a great price. The processor is quite fast and can handle many tasks when using your PC, great for medium gaming and also general computer use. The processor is also good at rendering so if you render it isn't as bad as you would think. I recommend getting this CPU, the only bad thing is the overclockability i managed to get it to 3.25 ghz on Stock cooling but overall the product is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cpu...very happy indeed :), 6 Mar 2012
Got this to replace an AMD Athlon II X2 250 which also wonderful for gaming. This AMD Athlon II X4 640 is outstanding though. Intitially factory set at 3.00ghz I have overclocked it to 3.75ghz and all is well, been running like this for a while now. For those looking to play Battlefield 3, this runs everything on high so don't worry....Skyrim too !!
It just makes going and spending loads more on an intel i processor unjustifiable. Anyway, for those of you who end up
buying one of these little beauties....enjoy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased - just check your BIOS first, 12 May 2013
Concise Review:

Pros:
4 cores for 55: excellent value
Stock fan and TIM better than expected
Excellent Upgrade for previous AM2 users

Cons:
Maybe buying into a dead-end processor
Intel offerings worth a look for new users
Packaging a little flimsy

Verdict.
Plesantly suprised by this processor. 9.5/10

My Verbose Review:

I decided that it was time to upgrade my elderly AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (which itself was an upgrade from a single core AM2 based processor) and was looking for a comparable AM3 socket processor. My motherboard was an ASRock design with DDR2 and DDR3 capability, which I got a couple of years back with this sort of upgrade in mind. I looked to complement my new purchase with 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, which was 35 at the time.

Maybe it is overkill, but I now have more than enough computer power for my needs and have got rid of my bottlenecks. Windows is very responsive, where previously it was grinding to a halt. Browsing the internet, watching youtube is a pleasure, not a pain. You can do this as well as virus checking and folding if you want to. The processor shows its muscle as I can compile Linux kernels and programs from source very quickly with this processor and use the four cores for media encoding. It depends on the program - stuff like converting to MP3 is single-thread whilst converting to OGG is multithreaded but this processor excels in both. This processor with its improved SSE capability and developed micro-architecture is also faster on a clock for clock basis, as well as being able to clock faster.

That said, I have never seen the processor go above 29 degrees celsius on stock clocks, stock fan, heatsing and TIM, using Core Temp. I have heard horror stories about the stock fan, but the first thing which struck me about the processor was the box. It was much smaller than it seemed and AMD have really packed it in tightly. The processor itself is in a sort of plastic case which could leave pins bent, but I was OK. I would much prefer to have a socket-type covering protecting the pins from possible static. The heatsink and fan is very small indeed - about half of the size of my previous AKASA heatsink. It's lighter beign made from Aluminium and the fan has 4pins, allowing for non-pwm fan speed control. Generally, the fan is well behaved and quiet. I have no isssues with the fan nor heatsink. The stock TIM was a nice touch.

The one problem I had was caused by me. I checked the motherboard's CPU list, and despite being listed as compatible with my BIOS version, when I put the CPU and new RAM in, it failed to POST. This did get me a little worried, trying different combinations of the new RAM to get it to post but then I switched to my old CPU and RAM, downloaded the latest BIOS, flashed the BIOS from a pen-drive in 5 minutes. Then I put in my new kit and I was away. Then I read the motherboard's website which suggested flashing BIOS when making a CPU change. D'oh, indeed!

The criticisms of the processor are you are buying for a new build.

Yes, I know of the performance of the new intel processors, and if I was buying new, I might be tempted to look at them. But I think platform cost is key, and AMD have always had cheaper motherboards and usually have cheaper offerings than intel, and as a package, I feel you get excellent bang for buck. This processor has more than enoguh grunt for pretty much everybody except the most benchmark-happy "I've got more gigahertz/cores/fps than you" person. Besides, I like to support the underdog, and the PC world needs a strong AMD, so this was a non-issue.

The other criticism if you are buying new is that AM3 is a dead-end socket. That it may be but you could still upgrade to a 6core processor on most AM2+/AM3 based boards if you need more grunt. You could still upgrade/(downgrade?) to a bulldozer or piledriver based AM3+ processor on some boards. There are versions of this processor on the Llano-based FM1 boards which were made obselete with no upgrade potential, whilst the FM2 750K is not propus-based.

Overall, the processor is very good. For the money, I don't think that there is anything better, expecially if you are upgrading from an older single or dual core AM2 or AM3 based processor. The difference between this and my dual core is that this one will not be taxed for a whilst; dual core is history now.

Thanks for reading.